ripped off by LongView Lodge, Adirondacks

Old September 18th, 2003, 04:41 PM
Shel Sax

Default ripped off by LongView Lodge, Adirondacks

I recently made a reservation at LongView Lodge in the Adirodacks and
secured it with a credit card. When unforeseen circumstances forced me
to cancel the reservation, the Lodge charged my credit card $25 as a
cancellation fee, something they never mentioned in the original phone
call when I made the reservation. Caveat emptor!
Old September 18th, 2003, 05:17 PM
Nate C.

I recently made a reservation at LongView Lodge in the Adirodacks and
secured it with a credit card. When unforeseen circumstances forced me
to cancel the reservation, the Lodge charged my credit card $25 as a
cancellation fee, something they never mentioned in the original phone
call when I made the reservation. Caveat emptor!

Ripped off?! It was 25 bucks. Big effin' deal. Next time, don't cancel.

Old September 18th, 2003, 06:13 PM
Sandy Stenhouse

How much money did they lose when they turned people away from the room that
you booked? Sounds like you both are losing money because of your
cancellation, except that the Lodge is losing more in the long run.

Most establishments have posted information about cancellation fees. Read
the fine print!

om...

Old September 19th, 2003, 07:28 AM
Miguel Cruz

Shel Sax wrote:
I recently made a reservation at LongView Lodge in the Adirodacks and
secured it with a credit card. When unforeseen circumstances forced me to
cancel the reservation, the Lodge charged my credit card $25 as a
cancellation fee, something they never mentioned in the original phone
call when I made the reservation. Caveat emptor!

Isn't that sort of the point of a reservation? You each trade away a bit of
your risk: You trade away the risk of having noplace to stay, and they trade
away the risk of having no revenue. You each got what you bargained for.
Fair is fair.

miguel
Site remodeled 10-Sept-2003: Hundreds of new photos, easier navigation.
Old September 19th, 2003, 08:57 AM
Da Parrot-chick

"Shel Sax" wrote in message
om...
I recently made a reservation at LongView Lodge in the Adirodacks and
secured it with a credit card. When unforeseen circumstances forced me
to cancel the reservation, the Lodge charged my credit card $25 as a
cancellation fee, something they never mentioned in the original phone
call when I made the reservation. Caveat emptor!

That's odd. I made a reservation at this same place a few years back, and
had to cancel two days before never mind why. Not only did they refund my
deposit, they gave me a voucher for a four night/five day stay in one of
the top floor suites and a $200 credit at the bar, plus a free rental car
and round trip plane tickets (coach). This policy wasn't mentioned in my
initial phone conversation with them either. I think I'll sue them.

Old September 19th, 2003, 01:36 PM
me

(Shel Sax) wrote in message . com...
I recently made a reservation at LongView Lodge in the Adirodacks and
secured it with a credit card. When unforeseen circumstances forced me
to cancel the reservation, the Lodge charged my credit card $25 as a
cancellation fee, something they never mentioned in the original phone
call when I made the reservation. Caveat emptor!

I feel your pain. But you got off cheap. Many places will charge
you varying fees based upon how close to your arrival you cancel.
Resorts, and facilities in resort kinda towns may start charging you
from 4 - 6 weeks prior. By a week before, you might lose a good
chunk of change. Dig this, I checked into a hotel over Labor day,
and they informed me then that there would be an early departure
fee of $25. i.e. if I left a day earlier than my reservation,
they'd charge me $25. I feel their pain too. Restaurants are
experimenting with such things as well. The no show rate
approaches the profit margin in some of these places. And during
a busy season, their business plan and budgeting usually relys upon
a nearly "full house".

Technically, if they truly didn't notify you when you booked, you
could probably dispute the charge with your CC company. However,
the CC card company is probably gonna be a bit dubious that neither
of you thought to discuss the subject. To a certian extent, what
did you think you gave them the CC for in the first place?
Old September 19th, 2003, 04:24 PM
Da Parrot-chick

"me" wrote in message
om...

Technically, if they truly didn't notify you when you booked, you
could probably dispute the charge with your CC company. However,
the CC card company is probably gonna be a bit dubious that neither
of you thought to discuss the subject. To a certian extent, what
did you think you gave them the CC for in the first place?

IMHO it's not the responsibility of the guest to ask specific questions
regarding hotel policies. They should be upfront about informing their
guests regarding cancellation policies and fees, since they vary so widely.
If this had happened to me, I would have disputed the charge on the basis
that had I known of it I wouldn't have booked a room there. It's not the
amount of money that's the point.