Seabourn Rated Best!

Old May 3rd, 2004, 03:12 PM
Ray Goldenberg

Default Seabourn Rated Best!

Hi Everyone,

I received this press release from Seabourn and thought it would be of
interest. If you have missed any of my news' postings, they are
available on my web site.

Best regards,
Ray
LIGHTHOUSE TRAVEL
800-719-9917 or 805-566-3905
http://www.lighthousetravel.com

Seabourn Rated Best in Departures Magazine Poll

Survey Tallies 51,000 American Express Platinum and Centurion Card
Holders

MIAMI, May 3
In a survey conducted by the luxury lifestyle publication Departures,
the magazine's readers, who are American Express Platinum and
Centurion Card holders, scored Seabourn Cruise Line tops among all
cruise lines. The online survey separated cruise lines into categories
of Large Cruise Lines and Small Cruise Lines. The Yachts of Seabourn
scored 97.85, the best result achieved by any line in either category.

"We are especially gratified by the phenomenal score given us by
Departures' readers," said Richard D. Meadows, Seabourn's senior vice
president of sales and marketing, "because they comprise precisely the
type of discerning, affluent travelers that we welcome aboard our
yachts week after week, year after year. Readers of Departures have
very high expectations of luxury," he continued. "It's great to get
acknowledgement from them that we are satisfying or exceeding those
expectations."

The survey was posted on the magazine's password-protected website for
three months. Over 1,040 global nominees in every category of travel,
hospitality and accommodation were available for review. Scores in 23
categories were tabulated by American Express from over 51,000
2004 issue.

The intimate, all-suite Yachts of Seabourn: Seabourn Pride, Seabourn
Spirit and Seabourn Legend, carry just 208 guests each to the most
desirable destinations on earth. For more information on Seabourn
vacations of seven to 18 or more days in 2004 and 2005 at Early
Booking Savings of up to 50 percent, contact a travel agent.

The Yachts of Seabourn is a proud member of World's Leading Cruise
Lines. Our exclusive alliance also includes Carnival Cruise Lines,
Holland America, Princess Cruises, Cunard Line, Costa Cruises and
Windstar Cruises. Sharing a passion to please each guest, and a
commitment to quality and value, our member lines appeal to a wide
range of lifestyles and budgets. Together we offer exciting and
enriching cruise vacations to the world's most desirable destinations.

The Yachts of Seabourn is a brand of Carnival Corporation and plc
(NYSE: CCL and CUK)

Old May 3rd, 2004, 07:08 PM
Lee

It's OK, but where are the balconies ? The "French " balconies are a joke
and the others are virtually useless.

Old May 4th, 2004, 12:01 AM
Benjamin Smith

Lee wrote:

It's OK, but where are the balconies ? The "French " balconies are a joke
and the others are virtually useless.

People can't sail without balconies? Seabourn has to buy new ships or go
through expensive renovations just for balconies?

When Seabourn made the ships balconies weren't the rage. They don't need
new ships and if they are focussing on service, quality of food, a
"can-do" attitude from staff, well-trained staff, to me these are way,
way more important that private spaces. The ships are small and
exclusive and people should find enough space on deck to enjoy the
sensations of the seas.

Ben S.

Old May 4th, 2004, 12:24 AM
Tom & Linda

"Benjamin Smith" wrote in message
ink.net...
Lee wrote:

It's OK, but where are the balconies ? The "French " balconies are a

joke
and the others are virtually useless.

People can't sail without balconies? Seabourn has to buy new ships or go
through expensive renovations just for balconies?

When Seabourn made the ships balconies weren't the rage. They don't need
new ships and if they are focussing on service, quality of food, a
"can-do" attitude from staff, well-trained staff, to me these are way,
way more important that private spaces. The ships are small and
exclusive and people should find enough space on deck to enjoy the
sensations of the seas.

Ben S.

Those Seabourn ships cost $50 million. That's less than "sales tax" on the
price of the QM2.

If Seabourn wants to compte and the passengers who pay the luxury prices
week want balconies...

Give them balconies.

--Tom

Old May 4th, 2004, 04:30 AM

After sailing on vessels with air-conditioning failures, fume and other
odor problems, etc., a balcony -- to me -- is not only a source of
enjoyment but, perhaps more importantly, assurance that I can better
cope with potential other problems if they arise.

Seabourn's retrofitted french balconies are far from perfect [as the
room itself loses all its air-conditioning when one wants a balcony
effect], but at least one can get fresh air and sea "noise" if desired.

Due to the design of the current/aged Seabourn fleet, real balconies can
not be added [the only solution would be to shrink the room size and
create hull-type balconies =E5 la the QM2].

One can not deny, however, that the majority of cruisers today equate
balconies with luxury ... and Seabourn will be forced to always be the
best "inside" their current vessels as they are without real balconies
"outside" [and, therefore, can never be the best in that regard]!

An analogy: What is "best" to you? Would you rather stay in the cheapest
room in the most-deluxe hotel in town ... or the finest room in a
less-deluxe hotel?

Old May 5th, 2004, 11:38 PM
brenda

I too am surprised - I just think their cabins are way too small to be
considered luxury... and don't get me going on the 'balconies' - they
are nice for air, but that's about it - no morning coffee/evening
drinks on your 'balcony.' I strongly prefer Silversea - their basic
suites are 100 sq ft larger than Seabourne's 'suites.' And those
balconies...
Old May 5th, 2004, 11:47 PM
Howie

brenda wrote:

I too am surprised - I just think their cabins are way too small to be
considered luxury... and don't get me going on the 'balconies' - they
are nice for air, but that's about it - no morning coffee/evening
drinks on your 'balcony.' I strongly prefer Silversea - their basic
suites are 100 sq ft larger than Seabourne's 'suites.' And those
balconies...

I've done Seabourn (19 days), and it was very nice (though dull as
****). I've also done a penthouse suite on Celebrity (15 days). Given
the prices on Seabourn, Silversea, etc., if I wanted to spend that kind
of coin, I'd opt for a penthouse on a Century or Milli class ship, the
royal on a Voyager class ship, or a penthouse on HAL every time.

Howie

Old May 6th, 2004, 07:37 PM
brenda

Howie wrote in message ...
brenda wrote:

I too am surprised - I just think their cabins are way too small to be
considered luxury... and don't get me going on the 'balconies' - they
are nice for air, but that's about it - no morning coffee/evening
drinks on your 'balcony.' I strongly prefer Silversea - their basic
suites are 100 sq ft larger than Seabourne's 'suites.' And those
balconies...

I've done Seabourn (19 days), and it was very nice (though dull as
****). I've also done a penthouse suite on Celebrity (15 days). Given
the prices on Seabourn, Silversea, etc., if I wanted to spend that kind
of coin, I'd opt for a penthouse on a Century or Milli class ship, the
royal on a Voyager class ship, or a penthouse on HAL every time.

Howie

I guess it all gets back to whether you would prefer the cheapest room
in a deluxe hotel or the best in a so-so hotel. (not that SS suites
could ever be considered 'cheap' in cost or quality!)
Old May 6th, 2004, 10:08 PM
Howie

brenda wrote:
Howie wrote in message ...

brenda wrote:

[...]

Well, there are a lot of things to consider here. I paid $1800/head for
15 days of living in over 1100 square feet of magnificent space in the
penthouse on the Mercury, with my own butler, two private jacuzzi's, the
classiest furnishings I have ever seen on a ship, etc... Not sure if I
could even find a space like this on Seabourn or Silversea (certainly
not on the old Sun - now princendam - where I was in a penthouse
occupied by some folks we met on-board). And if I could, what price
would I have to pay.

Honestly, the service on Seabourn was excellent, but not uniformly so.
Our cabin stewardess was a very nice Swedish girl, but she was a moron.
This did not make for good service. In fact, I've found that service
on any cruise has much to do with the luck of the draw. I experienced
my worst dining room service, ever, on the Celebrity Century. But not
for one second, do I expect that all dining room service on that ship,
either then or now, is bad.

I could go on forever about food, entertainment, and facilities
comparisons; but this would bore the group to death. As in so many
other things, deluxe is simply a matter of perception, which is strongly
influenced by price (there are those who believe that if they pay more,
they will get a better product), marketing, and a multitude of other
factors.

Howie