luggage Safety?

Old May 20th, 2004, 07:53 PM
Dick Goldhaber

Default luggage Safety?

Howie,

I know that you and Eileen spread the wealth when it comes to your cruise
choices and that we have been exclusive to HAL since 1996, but even though
we traveled as a group in 1996 and 1997, and with Heidi from 1999 on, we
have never had a problem with HAL Customer Service.

They bent over backwards to provide hearing aids in 1999. They have never
failed to give us the dining room table that we have chosen well ahead of
time. They have met us when we boarded to assist us in finding the assigned
area onboard where Heidi relieves herself.

They provided Danni with a gluten free menu last year when we needed it, and
allowed her to see the next day's menu the preceding night so she could
choose.

I am sorry if you had a problem, but never did.
--
DG in Cherry Hill, NJ

"Howie" wrote in message
What a bummer! I know I sound like a broken record on rtc, but HAL is
the worst when it comes to real customer service [read as dealing with
serious customer problems].

Howie

Old May 20th, 2004, 10:43 PM
Eileen Garland

Dick, those are not problems but rather special needs. Howie's
referring to things like cabins with no functioning air conditioner.
Try and get help with THAT kind of thing from HAL!

Eileen

Old May 21st, 2004, 01:36 AM
Susan

We just came back from a west Caribbean cruise by Carnival Victory, we never
carried our own luggage and never had / heard any problem ( loss or damage),
The only problem is sometimes you will have to wait couple of hours to get
your luggage.

I was very happy with it.

"Asya Kamsky" wrote in message
In article ,
C L wrote:
We are going (hopefully) on a cruise for our 20th anniversary next year
and are booking it soon.Since our 1st cruise back in 2000 something has
been on my mind and wonder if anybody in this NG has ever had a problem
with putting your luggage outside your room the night before
debarkation.How safe are the bags?Has anybody had them stolen or just
things missing from them ?

In 2001, on our only Holland America cruise (Zaandam) our three bags
were stolen from the hallway even though they weren't matched, and
they were put there at separate times throughout the evening.

The cruiseline refused to take any responsibility even though it seemed
very likely an inside job, imo, so we had to take up the claim with
our homeowners. But a lot of stuff wasn't easily replacable not because
it was valuable per se, but because it's hard to find new "favorite"
things, clothes, shoes, etc.

Never had problems before or since, but we carry always carried our stuff
off since then except twice when it wasn't practical as there were more
bags than us (two week cruise).

--
Asya Kamsky

Old May 21st, 2004, 02:44 AM
Eileen Garland

Well, maybe it's just the luck of the draw that we've had problems with
HAL's customer service when there's been a problem.

The Veendam was our first HAL ship, if I remember correctly. Oh, I loved
that ship and that special HAL pampering thing!

Eileen

RTCReferee wrote:

On our Veendam cruise last summer, there were some intermittent problems with
toilets not flushing, apparently. Twice HAL employees came to the door and
asked if we were having problems. I started to answer "no," but then checked
and sure enough, our toilet wouldn't flush. We hadn't just used it, but I
certainly appreciated that they stopped by and alerted us to the situation.

The toilets were fine within 5-10 minutes of their notice each time.
They were being pro-active, and I thought that was cool, though it would be
nice if the toilets were all functioning well in the first place.

By the way, according to my calendar, the Veendam should have just emerged from
drydock five days ago, with a new Neptune Lounge and Pinnacle Grill.

Old May 21st, 2004, 02:59 AM
RTCReferee

Eileen Garland wrote:

The Veendam was our first HAL ship, if I remember correctly. Oh, I loved
that ship and that special HAL pampering thing!

Our first HAL cruise was on the Noordam and we loved that ship, all the nooks
and crannies and turnaround staircases. If she were to sail close to home
before leaving the fleet, we'd cruise on her one last time, but I'm not so sure
I want to fly to Europe for the opportunity, even though the prices aren't bad
and some of the itineraries are very good.

Has anyone here been on the Noordam lately or planning to go this summer?
Old May 21st, 2004, 04:08 AM
Dick Goldhaber

Eileen,

Last October when we reached our cabin on Statendam we noticed that it
wasn't particularly cool. We turned the temperature control as far down as
it would go, and we went to get something for lunch. When we returned to
the cabin our luggage was there and we decided to put it away and we
realized that the cabin still was too warm for our liking, so we called
maintenance.

I don't remember if you mentioned what type cabin you had, and it really
shouldn't matter, but we did have a suite, and within 15 minutes two
engineers arrived and corrected the situation. As a matter of fact they
made it so cold that we had to turn up the control.

I am sorry that you had a problem which was not corrected.
--
DG in Cherry Hill, NJ