QM2 Review

Old May 20th, 2004, 01:16 PM
Brian M McGarvie

Default QM2 Review

While I am sure the QM2 is a ship to die for....

I generally prefere 'smaller' ships that are at most around 1500
passengers... like the Sun Princess, Splendour of the Seas, to name my 2
most recent cruises...

I am also probably in the 'young' category my wife and I are 28 and 26
respectivley.

And before anyone says it... I've never felt out of place cruising
(age-wise)... we have been cruising for the last 3 or 4 years, so thats
since I was 23.

Old May 20th, 2004, 01:36 PM
Eileen Garland

Brian, what kind of condition was the Splendour in? We sailed on it
when it was new and I still think of it as the prettiest ship I've ever
been on, so I'm curious to know how it has aged.

Eileen

Old May 20th, 2004, 03:07 PM
Brian M McGarvie

Well I went on it Last summer in the Med, and was very impressed with the
general ship, decor, carpets etc generally all public area were spotless and
looked band new. If i was'nt going to Carrib on Sun Princess this year, I'd
have went back to the med on it (med is closer for me being in Scotland!).

The sun-decks again were spotless... the only complaint i have is the
sunbeds, the arched arms meant your arms were awkward, other than that it
was great!

Food (in the main dining room) was'nt as nice as i expected, it's
presentation was bland, however was very tastey. Food else-where
(lunch/snack bar/buffet) was all very good, oh... free ice-cream was handy!

My fav spot after dinner and shows was the Schrooner Bar (the guy we had
playing the Piano was absolutley great). And the disco was acceptable! And
served good cocktails before dinner.

My final gripe was tips - being UK - we're not an island of tippers,
generally here staff dont require/get tipped (I sometimes do - depends on
the place). But this is something I have came to sadly expect from a cruise.
I don't object to paying ppl for their work, but i do feel it should be
included in the already expensive cruise prices.

-Brian...

Old May 20th, 2004, 06:38 PM
Eileen Garland

Thanks, Brian - I'm happy to hear the Splendour is still Splendid! Too
bad about the food, because when we sailed on this ship, the food in the
dining room was incredibly good. But I'm not surprised; RCI's food has
declined quite a bit lately, in my experience.

Thanks for reporting back to me about this.

Eileen

Old May 20th, 2004, 07:29 PM
bennington

If you want a non mass market feel pay to be in the Grills. I agree this
ship is wonderful and I will sail on her again, but I would choose the
itinerary and price paid more carefully. The ship is already offering some
deals, people who booked three weeks before the cruise got on for only
$1,000 rather than the $1,3000 minimum for the bottom category. I have
already received reduced prices for upcoming cruises. I would also only
sail on her again for a transatlantic. The QM2 is not her best in the
Caribbean, she is a classy lady of the North Atlantic and Cunard has her
doing 26 transatlantics next year to prove this point (but also 13 Caribbean
cruises). The QM2 is my favorite ship, but I would still wait a year until
service comes up to Cunard standards - we will be back on the QM2 in the
future!

Ryan

Old May 21st, 2004, 01:33 AM
Benjamin Smith

bennington wrote:

.. The QM2 is not her best in the
Caribbean, she is a classy lady of the North Atlantic and Cunard has her
doing 26 transatlantics next year to prove this point (but also 13 Caribbean
cruises).

I agree, Ryan. Not every ship belongs in the Caribbean and the QM2 seems
ridiculous in the Caribbean to me. I don't even like Celebrity and HAL
in the Carribean and I wouldn't want any part of the P&O Oriana in the
Caribbean.

Ben (likes RCI, NCL in the Caribbean. Perhaps Princess)

Ryan

Old May 21st, 2004, 02:09 AM
RTCReferee

I wrote:

and with families with school-age kids and other affinity groups onboard.

That's withOUT those things, but you probably knew that. ;-)
Old May 21st, 2004, 02:11 AM
Charles

In article , RTCReferee
wrote:

That's withOUT those things, but you probably knew that. ;-)

I was wondering!!!

--
Charles
Old May 21st, 2004, 02:18 AM
RTCReferee

Charles lid wrote:

wrote:

That's withOUT those things, but you probably knew that. ;-)

I was wondering!!!

--
Charles

You get points for paying attention. :-)