Victoria and Butchart Gardens

Old February 20th, 2010, 06:39 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Marcia R.

Default Victoria and Butchart Gardens

D Ball wrote:
If we decide to just take the shuttle from the ship into town, is there
anything to do there besides have dinner? We want to get off the ship,
but since we're not there very long I'm kind of stumped. I've been
reading reviews of the gardens...pro and con...and it is kind of
expensive. I'd only feel comfortable going that far in the time we have
with a shore excursion booked through the ship. This will be on a
Saturday night.

Thanks,
Marcia

Hi, Marcia, haven't we visited about Butchart Gardens in the past? I
can't recall if it was you, but I know I was gushing to someone in the
past few months.

Anyway, I am not a "gotta see the gardens" person when we travel--my
husband is the one who adores gardens, so my appreciation of them has
been acquired over many years of garden visits! (And I do have
whatever is the opposite of a green thumb--no plants in our home.
Pitiful.) Nonetheless, I thought Butchart was amazing--well worth the
money. Like anything, YMMV...I simply have a hard time understanding
how there could be "con" opinions, and I'm a person who could easily
relate to a "con" garden opinion!

On Sat. nights in July/Aug (roughly), there are fireworks at the
gardens...spectacular ones (very different, old-fashioned). Don't know
if that coincides with your trip.

But...if you skipped the gardens, would you suffer and beat yourself
up over missing that "must see?!" Not at all. In fact, for a first
visit, spending all of your port time wandering the town is a
perfectly wonderful plan. "Charming" is probably the adjective you've
read ad nauseum, but it fits. Victoria is quaint, has lots of
character, is situated in an incredibly scenic setting--all in all, a
totally delightful place. What will you do? Stroll, window shop, shop,
eat, stroll some more, sit and look out over the harbour, etc. If you
arrive in time to space it out, you could take tea at The Empress and
then have a late dinner. Fabulous bookstore, Munro's, if you like that
sort of thing. No doubt there'll be live music in a variety of venues
on a Sat. night. Could rent bikes and see a little more. (We did that
once...or was it mopeds? I can't recall, but easy and fun.)

Good luck making your decision! You can't go wrong either way.

Diana Ball
Austin, TX

I don't think it was me, because up until a few days ago I didn't know
that excursion was even an option. I saw the EPCOT version of Butchart
Gardens years ago and had it in my mind to go there. I'm not usually a
garden person. We will be in Victoria the night of June 12 from around
7 until midnight, which is probably too early in the season for the
fireworks and music. One of the cons I read was that it can be really
crowded in the garden, which makes it had to see stuff or get around. I
live in Las Vegas, and I know how it feels to be in the Bellagio
conservatory and not be able to take pics because there are people
everywhere.

I'd be really happy having stores to look in (we'd love to find some
Olympic pins) and seeing the harbor would be nice. I guess it's the
government buildings that I see pics off lit up at night that look so
great. We just want to see a little of Victoria in not a lot of time.

Thanks,
Marcia
Old February 20th, 2010, 03:58 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
[email protected]

On Fri, 19 Feb 2010 21:39:09 -0800, "Marcia R."
wrote:

D Ball wrote:
[...]

Back in May of 1994 I was in Seattle for training for work. I did a
day trip to Canada from Seattle. We left from Seattle on a bus on a
Saturday about 4:30 am., drove north and the bus and all of us got on
a ferry at Anacortes and went to Friday Island and then on to BC. We
got to Butchart Gardens about 10 or 11. They are big enough that they
can absorb a large amount of people. I never saw any of my fellow bus
travelers while I was there. I ate lunch in the cafe there. Then we
got back on the bus and did a mini tour through Victoria and they let
us off by the harbor. That was the end of the tour. It was Victoria
Day, so the harbor was full of boats all decorated, and there were
pedicabs that I could have taken. I went to the Empress hotel for
tea, and also walked over to the Natural History Museum and bought an
anniversary present for my husband (it was our Jade anniversary). Then
I got a high speed ferry back to Seattle arriving there about 10:30.
It was a long day but very fulfilling.
Old February 20th, 2010, 06:02 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
D Ball[_2_]

On Feb 19, 11:39*pm, "Marcia R."
wrote:
D Ball wrote:
[...]

Marcia, I feel so much better--I was having a middle age moment,
wondering if I was repeating myself to you, LOL!

Rosalie's comment echoes our experience--we have visited twice
(neither during cruise ship stop) and did not feel the crowds,
including the "peak" July or August night when we saw the fireworks. I
know exactly what you are talking about with the Bellagio
conservatory--we were there one Christmas season, and it can get
uncomfortably crowded. Three things make a difference at Butchart: (1)
open air--as "tall" as that conservatory is, and light and bright, it
still felt closed in to me; (2) garden expanse--don't know how many
acres, but the place is huge; and (3) ample, wide sidwalks / paths /
viewing spots--the conservatory passages seemed narrow, and the plants
were right up on the walkways vs. at Butchart, the paths are fairly
wide and the plants are a distance away, it is a very natural setting,
lots of hills and trees and water features (which certainly influenced
me to prefer it over more traditional, manicured gardens, as I love
being outdoors in nature).

Diana
Old February 20th, 2010, 09:06 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Marcia R.

wrote:

D Ball wrote:
[...]

That sounds so nice. I've wanted to see that area for so long, it's
frustrating to be there for such a short time.

Thanks,
Marcia
Old February 20th, 2010, 09:08 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Marcia R.

D Ball wrote:
On Feb 19, 11:39 pm, "Marcia R."
wrote:
D Ball wrote:
[...]

Thanks, Diana. I'm interested in everything you are writing! I'll have
to sit down and talk to my beloved to see what he wants to do. Maybe if
I can find out the fireworks schedule and if they start so early in the
month, it might help with our decision.

Marcia
Old February 20th, 2010, 09:14 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Marcia R.

Marcia R. wrote:
D Ball wrote:
On Feb 19, 11:39 pm, "Marcia R."
wrote:
D Ball wrote:
[...]

It looks like they start July 3rd, so I think that's going to be the
deal breaker along with the price of the excursion. It sounds like we
can just wander around the town by ourselves. Thanks for all the info.
I appreciate your taking the time.

Marcia
Old February 22nd, 2010, 07:07 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Marcia R.

John Sisker wrote:
"Marcia R." wrote in message
We are planning on doing the excursion to Butchart Gardens when the
Sapphire Princess docks in Victoria. Does anyone know how far it is
from the ship and if we get to see any of the town while driving
there? My beloved keeps asking me questions AFTER I hang up with
Princess. LOL.

Marcia

Marcia,

You have already received a lot of good suggestions, but as far Victoria
itself, we personally by-passed Butchart Gardens for a general
City/Island tour itself. Not to downplay Butchart Gardens, we have seen
such gardens before, both here at home and while in Vancouver, but this
was our first trip to Victoria. It was more important for us to see and
learn what we could about Victoria itself. Likewise, after our tour, we
were dropped off in town. That was actually the highlight of our entire
time while in Victoria.. If you only could do one thing, and with such
limited time, explore downtown Victoria on your own. Believe me, you
won't regret it.

To assist you somewhat in this decision, take a look at the photo album
we put together while in Victoria at...
http://www.tinplatedesign.com/Victoria/. After all, a picture is worth a
thousand words.

John Sisker - SHIP-TO-SHORE CRUISE AGENCY®
(714) 536-3850 or toll-free at (800) 724-6644 & (Agency ID: 714.536.3850)
www.shiptoshorecruise.com / www.tinplatedesign.com
Facebook/Twitter/Blog/Flickr/MyPage

Thanks John. I did call Princess this morning, although I didn't get
too much info. They can't tell me yet where the Victoria Shuttle drops
us off until we're on the ship apparently. I have no clue what "in
town" means. My only concern is that we chose that option over a
sightseeing tour only to find out all the shops are closed. Hopefully,
we can make that decision on board without all of our choices sold out.
I do agree about the gardens, though...not really being a
flower/nature kind of girl. It just seemed like a good idea at first.

Marcia
Old February 23rd, 2010, 12:11 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Joseph Coulter[_6_]

On Mon, 22 Feb 2010 10:07:43 -0800, "Marcia R."
wrote:

Thanks John. I did call Princess this morning, although I didn't get
too much info. They can't tell me yet where the Victoria Shuttle drops
us off until we're on the ship apparently. I have no clue what "in
town" means. My only concern is that we chose that option over a
sightseeing tour only to find out all the shops are closed. Hopefully,
we can make that decision on board without all of our choices sold out.
I do agree about the gardens, though...not really being a
flower/nature kind of girl. It just seemed like a good idea at first.

Marcia

Victoria isn't that large so you really don't need to worry about
where you will be dropped off. My guess is that it will be near the
Empress Hotel. That puts you in the center of almost everything with
the parliament buildings and the BC museum basically toward the ship
and the shopping (parliament. the inner harbour,the empress and the
shopping area all line up)
Old February 23rd, 2010, 12:19 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Marcia R.

wrote:

[...]

Sounds good, thanks. I looked at the google satellite map of the area,
so I have an idea where that all is. :-)

Marcia
Old February 23rd, 2010, 01:18 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Joseph Coulter[_6_]

wrote:

[...]

I should have nmentioned, since you have google maps open that the
ship will be out in the outer harbour. which as you can see is n't
really far from the center of things.