Oakland to Whistler

Old March 1st, 2010, 07:19 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
bob edwards

Default Oakland to Whistler

My ladyfriend and I are going to go from Oakland to Whistler in a few
months for a wedding and I'm trying to decide how we should go. It
seems as if we have several options. We can fly to Vancouver via
Seattle and then take a train or rent a car and drive to Whistler or
we can fly to Seattle, rent a car and drive to Whistler from
Seattle.

My inclination would be to drive to Whistler from Seattle but I have
no idea how long a trip that would be or if we would encounter any
problem taking a rental car out of the US.

Advice please.
Old March 1st, 2010, 09:21 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Graham Harrison[_3_]

"bob edwards" wrote in message
My ladyfriend and I are going to go from Oakland to Whistler in a few
months for a wedding and I'm trying to decide how we should go. It
seems as if we have several options. We can fly to Vancouver via
Seattle and then take a train or rent a car and drive to Whistler or
we can fly to Seattle, rent a car and drive to Whistler from
Seattle.

My inclination would be to drive to Whistler from Seattle but I have
no idea how long a trip that would be or if we would encounter any
problem taking a rental car out of the US.

Advice please.

It's a good few years since I did it (pre 9/11) but I've certainly taken a
rental out of the USA. Picked it up in Seattle went to Vancouver, Jasper,
Banff and dropped it eventually in Spokane. I don't recall it was
particularly onerous but I did have to tell people right from the point of
reservation onwards.

I think your main problem may be crossing the land border. I've seen
various stories about the queues on crossings between Seattle and Vancouver
(and probably worse returning to the USA).

At the risk of teaching you to suck eggs, you do know you need a passport
for Canada these days?

Old March 1st, 2010, 09:41 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Mark Brader

Bob Edwards:
My ladyfriend and I are going to go from Oakland to Whistler in a few
months for a wedding and I'm trying to decide how we should go. It
seems as if we have several options. We can fly to Vancouver via
Seattle and then take a train or rent a car and drive to Whistler or
we can fly to Seattle, rent a car and drive to Whistler from
Seattle.

Uh-huh, that sounds right. The train from Vancouver to Whistler is a
premium operation and actually leaves from North Vancouver.

My inclination would be to drive to Whistler from Seattle

Then by all means do that.

Don't forget that you'll need passports (or other "WHTI-compliant" ID --
Google it) at the border these days.

but I have no idea how long a trip that would be

Seattle to Vancouver is about 140 miles of freeway (I-5 and BC 99).
Vancouver to Whistler is about 60 miles (still on BC 99, but it's now
an ordinary road). If you avoid delays due to traffic in both cities
and also at the border crossing, you might do it in under 4 hours.

(If my experiences last time I was in Detroit are representative,
long delays at the border will be much more likely in the southbound
direction. Allow for this if you plan to drive directly from Whistler
to the airport to catch your flight home.)

or if we would encounter any problem taking a rental car out of the US.

Depends on the rental company. Major companies don't mind you going
into Canada (Mexico is another matter), but cut-rate ones might not
allow it or, I suppose, might charge extra. Tell them where you want
to go when you're making the reservation.

Of course, the primary markings on a US car's speedometer will be in
mph instead of km/h.
--
Mark Brader, Toronto "Asps. Very dangerous. You go first."
-- Raiders of the Lost Ark

Old March 1st, 2010, 02:24 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Smiles

bob edwards wrote:
My ladyfriend and I are going to go from Oakland to Whistler in a few
months for a wedding and I'm trying to decide how we should go. It
seems as if we have several options. We can fly to Vancouver via
Seattle and then take a train or rent a car and drive to Whistler or
we can fly to Seattle, rent a car and drive to Whistler from
Seattle.

My inclination would be to drive to Whistler from Seattle but I have
no idea how long a trip that would be or if we would encounter any
problem taking a rental car out of the US.

Advice please.

if you take a US rental in to Canada it must say permmission to enter
Canada. otherwise you do not have insurance and will be turned back
it can be added after the fact but at 2am you have to wait so do it when
you rent
Old March 1st, 2010, 05:31 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Hatunen

On Mon, 1 Mar 2010 08:21:58 -0000, "Graham Harrison"
wrote:

[...]

I haven't taken a rental car across the border, but I have taken
a rental trailer to Canada, and later one from Canada back into
the USA. You need to keep in mind to return the vehicle in the
country where you rented it or face an enormous extra fee.

I think your main problem may be crossing the land border. I've seen
various stories about the queues on crossings between Seattle and Vancouver
(and probably worse returning to the USA).

It might not be too bad if you don't cross at the big one between
Seattle and Vancouver. There are probably smaller towns and
crossings where it might be easier. Time of day can make a big
difference, too.

I'd suggest renting the car in Vancouver and crossing the border
some other way. There's a train between Seattle and Vancouver.

Given a few days for travel back and forth, train from
Oakland-Seattle-Vvancouver might be interesting.

At the risk of teaching you to suck eggs, you do know you need a passport
for Canada these days?

Or one of those travel cards.

Old March 1st, 2010, 07:16 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Király[_1_]

bob edwards wrote:
My ladyfriend and I are going to go from Oakland to Whistler in a few
months for a wedding and I'm trying to decide how we should go. It
seems as if we have several options. We can fly to Vancouver via
Seattle and then take a train or rent a car and drive to Whistler or
we can fly to Seattle, rent a car and drive to Whistler from
Seattle.

I'd fly right into Vancouver, and then take the Perimeter bus service to
Whistler. It leaves right from the airport.

http://www.perimeterbus.com/

Unless you plan on exploring the back roads around Whistler, a rental
car isn't really needed. You can get around everywhere you need on
foot if you are staying right in the townsite. The local public transit
service will get you around to the outlying areas if you are not staying
right in town.

http://www.transitbc.com/regions/whi....cfm?region=0&

--
K.

Lang may your lum reek.
Old March 1st, 2010, 07:57 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
PeterL

On Feb 28, 10:19*pm, bob edwards wrote:
My ladyfriend and I are going to go from Oakland to Whistler in a few
months for a wedding and I'm trying to decide how we should go. *It
seems as if we have several options. We can fly to Vancouver via
Seattle and then take a train or rent a car and drive to Whistler or
we can fly to Seattle, rent a car and drive to Whistler from
Seattle.

My inclination would be to drive to Whistler from Seattle but I have
no idea how long a trip that would be or if we would encounter any
problem taking a rental car out of the US.

Advice please.

We usually fly to Seattle, rent a car, and drive to Vancouver (three
hours). From Vancouver to Whistler is another 2 hours. No problem
taking a rental to Canada. Tell your rental company that you are
doing that. It's commonly done. Much cheaper tickets than flying to
Vancouver.
Old March 2nd, 2010, 03:24 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
PeterL

On Mar 1, 12:21*am, "Graham Harrison"
wrote:
[...]

You need a passport to get back into the US more so.
Old March 2nd, 2010, 04:02 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Dave Smith

Graham Harrison wrote:

At the risk of teaching you to suck eggs, you do know you need a
passport for Canada these days?

You don't need a passport to get into Canada. You need it to get back
into the US.
Old March 2nd, 2010, 04:25 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
MI

On 3/1/10 7:02 PM, in article ,
"Dave Smith" wrote:

Graham Harrison wrote:

At the risk of teaching you to suck eggs, you do know you need a
passport for Canada these days?

You don't need a passport to get into Canada. You need it to get back
into the US.

True. But the Canadian Border Service won't let you in without one because
they know you need one to get back into the States. A Nexus card or the new
special driver's licenses are also acceptable.
--
Martha Canada
..