Orbitz - Good luck getting your money back!

Old May 12th, 2004, 07:07 PM

Default Orbitz - Good luck getting your money back!

I booked a hotel through Orbitz. When I showed up at the hotel, they
had no record of the reservation, so I had to pay the hotel directly.

When I got home, I tried to get my money back from Orbitz. (they debit
your credit card immediately when you make the reservation) After 4
phone calls, each involving about 30 minutes of phone menus, waiting
on hold, switching back and forth between service representatives and
assurances that my credit card would be credited for the disputed
amount, I gave up on them and called my credit card company to dispute
the charge. All this to save maybe $10 less than booking with the
hotel directly.

Never again!

-Larry Lloyd

"As for the Palestinians, they're a wrecked people.

It's tragic, and, if you want to argue about who's to blame, we can bat dates around back to the Great War.
But it doesn't even matter whether you regard, as the Europeans appear to, the Palestinians' descent into depravity as confirmation of their victim status: as PA spokesman Hasan Abdul Rahman said on CNN after a new pile of Jew corpses, it's the fault of Israel for 'turning our children into suicide bombers'.

Even if that were true, it makes no difference.

They can't be allowed to succeed, because otherwise the next generation of suicide bombers will be in Bloomingdale's and Macy's."

-Mark Steyn

www.steynonline.com
Old May 12th, 2004, 09:09 PM
Jeff Givens

On Wed, 12 May 2004 18:07:23 GMT " -- I'M WITH STUPID "
wrote:

I booked a hotel through Orbitz. When I showed up at the hotel, they
had no record of the reservation, so I had to pay the hotel directly.

When I got home, I tried to get my money back from Orbitz. (they debit
your credit card immediately when you make the reservation) After 4
phone calls, each involving about 30 minutes of phone menus, waiting
on hold, switching back and forth between service representatives and
assurances that my credit card would be credited for the disputed
amount, I gave up on them and called my credit card company to dispute
the charge. All this to save maybe $10 less than booking with the
hotel directly.

Never again!

I basically agree. This whole prepay hotel thing has me generally peeved.
My problem was a combination of their fault and mine. I perused some
hotels, didn't find what I wanted, so I opened up the scope of the search a
little (geographically) and found what I wanted. I booked it only to
immediately after notice that their form had changed the dates on what I
had initially put in.

So I called and bitched and they, after seeing that I had rebooked again
with the proper dates in place, agreed to refund the charge, and made a
note in the record that this was so (good thing it turns out).

It took 3 months and 4 or 5 phone calls, after hearing lame excuses about
the time it takes (2 billing cycles), it is in queue to a supervisor, etc.,
I screamed and had someone on the phone do it in less than a minute
(process the refund).

Pathetic.
JG... Jeff Givens

"My hovercraft is full of eels."
Old May 13th, 2004, 03:39 AM
Sti

On a similiar note, I use Orbitz to compare rental car prices but book
directly with the company. I can't deal with the non-refundable thing except
where it's required (ie., airlines.)

Old May 13th, 2004, 04:01 AM
livecam

Kinda funny but when you call their reservations line someone is available
immediately to talk to you. When you call customer service you get a major
runaround as described below. I had a similiar experience with them several
months ago. I finally called their reservations line which was answered
immediately and demanded service.