London Subway

Old February 21st, 2010, 01:36 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Cathy L[_5_]

Default London Subway

On Sat, 20 Feb 2010 20:39:16 -0600, (Mark Brader) wrote:

Cathy L.:
Subject: London Subway

By "subway", of course, you mean "Underground" or "tube". Some would
say this proves you are trolling, but I'll post anyway because some
others reading this might want to know how the train routes have changed.

Could someone tell me how to get from the High Street Kensington
station to Euston station?

"Barney":
Take the Circle Line to Euston Square and then walk the very short
distance to Euston Station.

Not so simple. The Circle Line got decircularized two months ago.
Circle trains now run from Hammersmith to Edgware Road via the
Hammersmith & City Line route, then go *once* around the old
Circle Line route and terminate; and likewise the other way.

You *could* still get from High Street Kensington to Euston Square with
only one train, but you'd have to go the long way around the circle --
start out westbound and go via Aldgate. Not worth considering.

However, if you take an eastbound train from High Street Kensington,
you can ride as far as Edgware Road, where the train terminates.
There are two possibilities: Circle and District Line trains.
They start from the same platform and go the same way as far as
Edgware Road station, but arrive in different platforms. (I haven't
been to London since the route changed and I don't know if there
will be changing signs or PA announcements that will tell you which
train you have. See the next paragraph for why you care, if you
have luggage.)

To leave Edgware Road, you want the eastbound platform for the Circle
and the Hammersmith & City Line, which is Platform 1. If you arrived
on a Circle Line train, you are on Platform 2 and will find Platform 1
as the opposite face of the same physical platform; but if it was a
District Line train, you arrived on Platform 3, and then you'll have to
use stairs up and down to change platforms.

From the eastbound platform, any train (Circle or Hammersmith & City)
will take you the rest of the way to Euston Square.

There is also, of course, a *Euston* tube station, which is closer to
the main-line train station than Euston Square is -- but getting there
from High St. Ken. would either require two changes of train or, again,
a rather indirect route (via Victoria). I'd go with the option via
Edgware Road instead.

Or alternatively, pay for a taxi.

For anyone reading this who might prefer a diagram, the platform usage
at Edgware Road now is like this. Trains in the two middle tracks are
terminating and going back to their starting point; Circle lines will
return to this station before going on to Hammersmith. Trains on the
outer tracks are running through the station and continuing in the
same direction.

---------1--------- Circle and H&C to King's Cross etc. (eastbound)
################
--------2------- Circle to High St. Ken., Victoria, Aldgate, etc.
--------3------- District to High St. Ken., Earl's Court, Wimbledon
################
--------4---------- Circle and H&C to Hammersmith (westbound)

My problem is, when I looked at the route map,the yellow one, (the
circle one) didn't look like it went all the way around.

Cathy L

Old February 21st, 2010, 02:19 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Erick T. Barkhuis[_3_]

Cathy L:

On Sat, 20 Feb 2010 20:49:02 -0800, poldy wrote:

Her mere presence here is proof. She could find that info. easily
on the web but instead, comes to USENET, which is a dying medium
other than binaries.

Could you please tell me where this information is "easily found on
the web"?

When you Google for "London tube" this will be one of the first hits:
http://www.tfl.gov.uk/modalpages/2625.aspx
And look: at the right bottom of the page, there's a Journey Planner,
where you simply enter Start and Destination locations, and you will
receive detailed travel info, including news of construction work,
delays, etc.

--
Erick
Old February 21st, 2010, 03:11 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
aquachimp

On Feb 20, 8:42*pm, Cathy L wrote:
Could someone tell me how to get from the High Street Kensington
station to Euston station?

Thank you,

Cathy L

http://www.visitlondon.com/travel/getting_around/tube

click on http://journeyplanner.tfl.gov.uk/

insert details (be specific as to which Euston station you mean, if
unsure, it'll prompt you anyway.
Old February 21st, 2010, 05:02 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Barney

On Feb 21, 2:39*am, (Mark Brader) wrote:
[...]

That's actually what I was suggesting - yeah, it's a long way round,
but at least it minimises the chance of getting lost or getting on the
wrong train while changing.
Old February 22nd, 2010, 11:17 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Mark Brader

Mark Brader:
The Circle Line got decircularized two months ago.
Circle trains now run from Hammersmith to Edgware Road via the
Hammersmith & City Line route, then go *once* around the old
Circle Line route and terminate; and likewise the other way.

Wolfgang Schwanke:
Why?

"The new route allows us", they say, "to operate a more reliable
service and return to normal running more quickly in the event
of disruption". (For one thing, if trains get bunched up now,
some of them can be held at the terminal stations, or turned back
short of the terminal stations. That sort of thing doesn't work
work so well when there aren't any terminal stations.)

In addition, it allows for trains to be run more frequently
between Edgware Road and Hammersmith without needing to fit more
trains into the busy section between Baker Street and Liverpool
Street.

Traded off against this is the requirement for a change of train
on trips between the west and the north sides of the Circle, such
as the one we were asked about; and greater complexity in describing
the platform usage at Edgware Road and Paddington.
--
Mark Brader, Toronto | "It is one thing to praise discipline, and another