Is a day trip enough for Gubbio?

Old March 11th, 2006, 08:44 AM posted to rec.travel.europe

Default Is a day trip enough for Gubbio?

Thinking of pottering off here for a day trip, what do you all think?

TIA.

Old March 11th, 2006, 09:22 AM posted to rec.travel.europe

"DC" dragoncarer@woops wrote in message
Thinking of pottering off here for a day trip, what do you all think?

TIA.

Yes.
A day, or part of it, will do just fine.
Don't forget to that between 12 and 4 the cable car stoppes.
It's a must to go up, visit st Ubaldo's church and stroll back into town.
Also have a good lunch with truffles.

--
Ronald
www.mulazzo.nl

Old March 11th, 2006, 03:32 PM posted to rec.travel.europe

On Sat, 11 Mar 2006 18:44:46 +1100, "DC" dragoncarer@woops wrote:

Thinking of pottering off here for a day trip, what do you all think?

You could certainly see most of Gubbio in a day. What did you hope to
do or see there?

--
Barbara Vaughan
My email address is my first initial followed by my surname at libero dot it
Old March 11th, 2006, 11:58 PM posted to rec.travel.europe

"R@L" wrote in message

"DC" dragoncarer@woops wrote in message
Thinking of pottering off here for a day trip, what do you all think?

TIA.

Yes.
A day, or part of it, will do just fine.
Don't forget to that between 12 and 4 the cable car stoppes.
It's a must to go up, visit st Ubaldo's church and stroll back into town.
Also have a good lunch with truffles.

Wonderful! Thanks for the advice Ronald!

--
Ronald
www.mulazzo.nl

Old March 11th, 2006, 11:58 PM posted to rec.travel.europe

"B Vaughan" wrote in message
On Sat, 11 Mar 2006 18:44:46 +1100, "DC" dragoncarer@woops wrote:

Thinking of pottering off here for a day trip, what do you all think?

You could certainly see most of Gubbio in a day. What did you hope to
do or see there?

I don't know - it's early days yet. My friend has just been looking around
for day trips, and she's read a little on it so far. Chiefly that it sounds
like a beautiful place to visit, scenery, architecture, etc.

Old March 12th, 2006, 11:03 AM posted to rec.travel.europe

On Sun, 12 Mar 2006 09:58:55 +1100, "DC" dragoncarer@woops wrote:

"B Vaughan" wrote in message
.. .
On Sat, 11 Mar 2006 18:44:46 +1100, "DC" dragoncarer@woops wrote:

Thinking of pottering off here for a day trip, what do you all think?

You could certainly see most of Gubbio in a day. What did you hope to
do or see there?

I don't know - it's early days yet. My friend has just been looking around
for day trips, and she's read a little on it so far. Chiefly that it sounds
like a beautiful place to visit, scenery, architecture, etc.

I live a little over an hour's drive from Gubbio and it's one of the
places I like to take visitors. I don't know where this day trip is
originating, but other possibilities would be Assisi, Todi, Spello,
and Urbino.

There is a good museum in Gubbio. One of the things in it that
fascinated me was the Eugubine tablets, a series of metal tablets
inscribed in Latin and the ancient Umbrian language, which served as a
sort of Rosetta Stone to decipher the latter. I don't know if that
sort of thing interests you.
Old March 12th, 2006, 11:53 AM posted to rec.travel.europe

"B Vaughan" wrote in message
On Sun, 12 Mar 2006 09:58:55 +1100, "DC" dragoncarer@woops wrote:

"B Vaughan" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

No it does - that's spot on the sort of stuff I'm interested in looking at.
Gubbio is just sounding more and more desirable all the time...thanks again.

Old March 12th, 2006, 12:19 PM posted to rec.travel.europe

"B Vaughan" wrote in message
[...]

The museum is right on the Piazza. I remember those strange plates also and
the coins.
In the church I mentioned -on the hill- you find, beside the beautiful
interior itself, the 3 zeri
(candles) which are run up the hill each year by the locals. It a battle of
life and death like the Siena Palio.

Have fun,

Ronald

Old March 12th, 2006, 02:56 PM posted to rec.travel.europe

l...

"B Vaughan" wrote in message
On Sun, 12 Mar 2006 09:58:55 +1100, "DC" dragoncarer@woops wrote:

"B Vaughan" wrote in message
m...
[...]

I plan to! Thankyou so much!

Old March 13th, 2006, 03:55 PM posted to rec.travel.europe

Do not forget the Museo dell'Arcivescovado..
and the biggest barrel in the owrld ( 25.000 litres )

actually in Gubbio there are now a lot fo free lifts.. that may make yr
life easier..
for a street to the other..

there are also a lot fo churches..
and the remnant of a roman theatre..
then the place where wool was washed by hand..
before being used..

DC wrote:
l...