How much money for one year in Asia???

Old July 9th, 2004, 09:02 AM
Jokertje

Default How much money for one year in Asia???

magda wrote:
Hi
How much money would I need for one-year travel in Asia (china, SEA,
India, Nepal)? Do you thing 7000USD would be enough?

Thanks a lot
mb

India and Nepal can be done for that amount on a basic level without
problems. I spent about that for 5 months in india/ nepal (excl.
international flight). Some days you spent more (if you are on the move,
some days less).

Of course you can do it cheaper going rock bottom like sleeping in
dormitories near bus / train stations for 1 dollar, eating meals for
0,30 cents (no meat, sodas, but some bread with sauce and dal).
But then it would be survival stead of fun. Its ok for a few times, but
not for weeks lets alone months.
On the average, if you stay in basic hotels (no a/c, no tv) with shower,
travel by bus and train, eat in no fancy retaurants, have a few beers
its no problem.
Remember that in big cities like Mumbai, hotels are more expensive and
long a/c 2 class sleepers train rides like 12 hours costs 30 euros.
As someone said, have some spare money for the occasion you might need
it, or want some luxury. If you cannot spend a dollar for a rikshaw taxi
(4km ride), it can be an endurance. Its a holiday.
People bragging about the spending hardly anything tend to be the ones
staying in Goa or Manali for months seeing nothing, complaining about
the locals, arguing over 5 rupees with a rikshaw driver, but using
internet every day and getting drunk at night.

Old July 9th, 2004, 11:19 AM
me

I don't care about backpacker areas. But if you want to enjoy BKKs
food, you need much more than 5$.

If you want to enjoy BKKs food you need twice 25B wich is just over a
dollar on the sidewalk along Sukhumvit.

Old July 9th, 2004, 11:20 AM
me

Doctors in India are fine and professional. Just get a recommendation
from your hotel or so.

Excellent advice, Thomas, get a recommendatino from the hotel that no
doubt knowing India is in with the scam, nice going.

Old July 9th, 2004, 12:25 PM
Manfred Aigner

Thomas F. Unke wrote:

Manfred Aigner writes:

[..]

Well, real cleaver girl .... docters there in third world countries have
obvioulsy no experience with deseases like malaria or dengue ... much
better back in europe where doctors now all this stuff from books ....

Doctors in India are fine and professional. Just get a recommendation
from your hotel or so.

It seems that I forgot to mention that the sentence above is not my
realy opinion, but the opposite. I made also only very good experience
with doctors and hospitals in third world countries. I just wanted to
point out hows tupid it is to think that european experts know more
about tropical deseases than a regular doctor there dealing every day
with that ...

Manfred

--
http://www.lonbok-ecoturist.org

Old July 9th, 2004, 02:45 PM
Miguel Cruz

Thomas F. Unke wrote:
Miguel Cruz writes:
Nonsense. An A/C bus from Bangkok to just about anywhere in Thailand
will cost under 15$.

25$ would come nearer the real costs.

For that you can fly.

From Chiang Mai to Had Yai? Show me where I can get this. You won't
even get a bus or sleeper train for 25$.

I'm not sure how Chiang Mai to Hat Yai qualifies as "Bangkok to just about
anywhere in Thailand".

Anyway, if you can book in advance, AirAsia has Chiang Mai to Bangkok for
500 baht and Bangkok to Hat Yai for 600 baht. Throw in another 200 baht for
taxes and fees (I'm probably being generous) and you're at 1300 baht which
is US$32, pretty darn close to the suddenly-moved goalpost.

Do a day sightseeing in Istanbul and you will not eat for a month to
get back to your 20$ budget.

I was back in Istanbul this spring, spent two weeks there and I'm sure I
didn't spend more than $10/day more than one or twice (not including

Aya Sofia alone is 15$, and people have told me that it has gone up to
50$ recently.

It's obviously not $50 and it's never going to be.

For my vacation time, I have very little interest in milling around inside
musty old landmarks full of tourists and smooth-talking guides. I go to a
place like Istanbul because it's a living, thriving city with strange and
wonderful things to discover around every corner.

Someone who enjoys going to one museum after another is probably going to
spend more money than someone who enjoys walking around and taking the place
in, I am happy to admit. And once again, the original poster is going to
have to do some introspection and figure out which of those kinds of people
he is. Or maybe he'll learn along the way, in which case it makes sense to
be prepared and have some extra $$ along for admissions fees.

miguel

Old July 9th, 2004, 02:48 PM
Tchiowa

Markku Grönroos wrote in message ...
me kirjoitti:

Are we getting personal, Thomas? Your ancestor's behaviour in Europe
in 1914-1918 and 1939-1945 wasn't the most pleastant either but you
don't see ME mentioning that here in the original debate, now do you?

What was wrong with their behaviour then ?

There you go, my point exactly. Congratulations. You should be proud.

I guess few people are aware on your "point". Germans are known about
their good behaviour.

5555555

Probably my worst travel experience was about 15-20 years ago staying
in a Youth Hostel in London and there were a group of Germans there.
(There were many groups from many places.)

The Germans were drunk, boisterous, offensive, you name it.