How much money for one year in Asia???

Old July 8th, 2004, 08:26 PM
me

Default How much money for one year in Asia???

On Thu, 8 Jul 2004 19:15:21 GMT, Thomas F. Unke
wrote:

"Markku Grönroos" writes:

I live in Finland.

In Finland Germans are definitely considered good behaving folks. No doubt.

He is posting from Belgium. The information he gave you is as correct
as the information he gives about travel costs.

Wow, that's German efficiency for you. You actually read the headers.

I did so too and read Markku's headers, hence my sarcastic reply. I
didn't think you'd actually take it seriously, but then again Germans
aren't known for their sense of humour are they.

It's time to ignore this kid.

Well, who started this argument? All I did was give the group my
opinion about the 20$ and all I got was ridicule from you.

Sure, ignore me and by all means go back to Thailand. I've seen you
lot in Pattaya and it makes me ashamed to be a Westerner in Thailand.

Old July 8th, 2004, 08:30 PM
Markku Grönroos

me kirjoitti:

On Thu, 8 Jul 2004 21:50:22 +0300, "Markku Grönroos"
wrote:

"me" kirjoitti viestissä
. ..

On Thu, 08 Jul 2004 20:26:20 +0300, Markku Grönroos
wrote:

me kirjoitti:

On Thu, 08 Jul 2004 17:38:14 +0300, Markku Grönroos
wrote:

me kirjoitti:

Are we getting personal, Thomas? Your ancestor's behaviour in Europe
in 1914-1918 and 1939-1945 wasn't the most pleastant either but you
don't see ME mentioning that here in the original debate, now do

you?

What was wrong with their behaviour then ?

There you go, my point exactly. Congratulations. You should be proud.

I guess few people are aware on your "point". Germans are known about
their good behaviour.

Huh? Seriously now, really? Where I live they certainly aren't. Mind
you, they're not hated or something (they make damn fine cars and
tasty sausages) but people sure are aware of the past around here.

Where do you live then ? In a country of *******s?

I live in Finland.

In Finland Germans are definitely considered good behaving folks. No doubt.

Enlighten me, what side was Finland on?

Enlighten me what you are asking about.
Old July 8th, 2004, 08:30 PM
Markku Grönroos

me kirjoitti:

On Thu, 8 Jul 2004 21:50:22 +0300, "Markku Grönroos"
wrote:

"me" kirjoitti viestissä
. ..

Old July 8th, 2004, 08:31 PM
me

The information he gave you is as correct
as the information he gives about travel costs.

It's time to ignore this kid.

One more thing, well yes, I might be going a bit far teasing you
people and starting discussions. I confess to being a little bored at
work, ok lah? But then again, you make it so EASY.

What startles me though is that, initially (before I got bored with
your remarks and started being a little naughty), I DID give genuine,
real travel information that answered the original poster's questions.

Check my first posts in this thread and ask people who actually
travelled for a long time (Miguel, for example) what they think. Do
they think the info I gave is incorrect?

Old July 8th, 2004, 09:36 PM
Eric Edwards

On Thu, 8 Jul 2004 20:22:43 +0200, Alfred Molon wrote:
Eric Edwards wrote:

*Some* Asian food is healthy. Thai food is pretty good. Food in
Sulawesi and Kalimantan tends to be a combination of palm oil, refined
starch (pasta or white rice), a little meat, and spices. Little or no
veggie matter.

That's strange - doon't they grow vegetables there ?

I don't know. I didn't spend much time in the markets there. It may
just be a "meat and potatoes" culture. You can get your veggie
requirement at Chinese places but they aren't as numerous as in
Malaysia and, also unlike Malaysia, they aren't cheap.

--
Photos and travelogues from Africa and Southeast Asia: http://www.exile.org

Old July 8th, 2004, 11:12 PM
ju_traveler

(John W.) wrote in message . com...
Manfred Aigner wrote in message . at...

20$/day (that is $600/month) is still much more than the average income
in most of the countries the original poster will visit, so why
shouldn't it be possible to live and travel there?

As I see it the issue isn't 'is it possible' it's 'is it a good idea'.
Most seasoned travelers have had really great experiences on low
budgets; but also most seasoned travelers (if they'll admit it) more
than once on that low budget trip wished they had a few extra bucks
for something, maybe a particular attraction, a ferry ride to a really
cool island you heard about, or something like that. The more money
you have, the more options you have, plain and simple. This isn't to
say you don't have a lot of options when traveling on a low budget; in
SE Asia you certainly do. But you have more options when you have more
cash reserves. I say budget $20/day, but have at least $50 in funds
just in case.

John W.

I have to say that I would agree with John W, upon first thinking
about it 20 USD seemeed very low. I decided to sit down and do the
math on the money I spent on a 3 week backpacking trip in SE Asia
(Thailand, Malaysia and Cambodia) that I have just completed.

I came up with a figure of $34.14 USD per day (this excludes the cost
of international flights and insurance otherwise all transportation,
accomodation, entertainment and living costs have been included).

I have to admit that I did not stay at the cheapest hotels/guesthouses
- all accomodation had air con, ensuite facilities and most had a TV.
Looking back at my records the most expensive were hotels in Bangkok
and Siem Reap at $20 USD per night (twin room) and cheapest was £3.50
(single room).

I used a variety of transportation from local busses ($4 for 5 hour
trip), river boats ($25 for express boat 5 hours, $13 for less express
9 hours), shares in private hire taxi ($5 for 2 hours), moto + driver
($7 for whole day).

I ate at a range of restraunts everything from market stalls (less
than $1 for a meal) through to a tourist hotels ($15 for traditional
food and puppet show) via local restraunts and western fast food
franchises ($3-$6).

I had a couple of large expenses ($80 for a 4 day Angkor Pass and $20
for a scuba dive) so excluding these the average would be less than
$30.

On reflection I believe that it would be quite possible to survive on
$20 USD per day - I'm not sure how enjoyable the experience would be
though. I guess it will really come down to what you want to do and
where you want to go.

Old July 9th, 2004, 12:53 AM
Madonna

Eric Edwards wrote:
On Wed, 07 Jul 2004 18:07:23 -0400, Madonna wrote:

Asian food is known as a health choice.

*Some* Asian food is healthy. Thai food is pretty good. Food in
Sulawesi and Kalimantan tends to be a combination of palm oil, refined
starch (pasta or white rice), a little meat, and spices. Little or no
veggie matter.

Sounds like an overseas version of Taco Bell.

And that horrible palm oil. The Malaysian govt is really promoting it.
Look at the number of Malays with pimples, I started having pimples too
until I cut palm oil from my diet.
And they've destroyed a lot of tropical rainforest to cultivate it too.