Cruising during the Hurricane Season

Old May 9th, 2004, 01:17 PM
Adelphia News

Default Cruising during the Hurricane Season

If you have a reservations for a Caribbean cruise that falls during the
"Hurricane Season" and when it comes time for your cruise and there is a
possible hurricane threat in the area of the cruise, how does the
cruise lines handle this situation? Do they cancel the cruise and give your
money back. Do they reschedule? If they change the itinerary of the cruise,
do you have the choose of canceling your reservation if you don't like
the proposed change

---

Old May 9th, 2004, 01:25 PM
Howie

Adelphia News wrote:

If you have a reservations for a Caribbean cruise that falls during the
"Hurricane Season" and when it comes time for your cruise and there is a
possible hurricane threat in the area of the cruise, how does the
cruise lines handle this situation? Do they cancel the cruise and give your
money back.

No.

Do they reschedule?

No
If they change the itinerary of the cruise,
do you have the choose of canceling your reservation if you don't like
the proposed change

No. Read the contract. They are free to re-route as needed, and as they
should be.

Howie

---

Old May 9th, 2004, 01:30 PM
Helen

*how does the
cruise lines handle this situation?

Different ways...change the itinerary, go out to sea away from the storm,
etc....

*Do they cancel the cruise and give your
money back.

I doubt it...they change the port stop or go around the hurricane.

*Do they reschedule?

Yes, they will change the port schedule to keep you safe and the ship safe

*If they change the itinerary of the cruise,
do you have the choose of canceling your reservation if you don't like
the proposed change

Probably not....because it will be changed last minute while you are on the
cruise.
That is why during hurricane season it is such a good idea to purchase
travel insurance. You can never know during hurricane season what is going
to develop

Old May 9th, 2004, 02:37 PM
SNUMBER6

From: "Adelphia News"

f you have reservations for a Caribbean cruise that falls during the
"Hurricane Season"

You should ... hurricanes are possible ... but it is June through November ...
So during some of the most expensive ...and also cheapest prices ...

and when it comes time for your cruise and there is a
possible hurricane threat in the area of the cruise, how does the
cruise lines handle this situation?

We went on the Pac Princess as Gustavo ran past in front of us ... We still
went to Bermuda on a rough ... enjoyable for me and bearable for others .. trip
south ...
No change ... as the trip was still ok ...
In other years, the cruiseline will reroute around it ... skipping a port or
changing a port ... Last year some Caribbean cruises became Canada/NE cruises
There was also a few where they esentially gave the shortened cruise away to
those willing to accept a later date instead of a refund ...
IF they can go ...they go ... if they can go somewhere else they go somewhere
else ... if they have to refund, they will but as a last resort ...

If they change the itinerary of the cruise,
do you have the choose of canceling your reservation if you don't like
the proposed change

Nope ...safety is prime importance ... so that option would coerce the
cruiseline to make the uncomfortable ... maybe unsafe trip ... you are paying
to be on the ship ... not where you are going ...

Be seeing you
In the Village
Number 6

Old May 9th, 2004, 05:08 PM
Mike Steen

Last year we cruised New En;and and up to Nova Scotia. This was the same week
that Hurricae Isabell was pounding the Caribbean and the East coast. THe ships
that were scheduled to visit Caribbean ports, instead went to New England. So
folks expecting to wear thong bathing suits, were somewhat surprised.

Mike

Old May 10th, 2004, 12:28 AM
Robert Strauss

Once you are on the ship, there's not much they can do but try to avoid the
hurricane or tropical storm. We were rerouted from our itinerary to Miami
and Nassau to avoid TS Claudette a couple of years ago. The end result was
that we didn't have to endure the storm and the accompanying potential sea
sickness but we also didn't get to enjoy any shore excursions as it was too
late to book them in the places we were rerouted to. There was a lot of
opologizing but not any compensation provided, which was ok with me.

Robert

Old May 10th, 2004, 12:45 AM
HDawson228

I don't think travel insurance covers hurricanes or tropical storms unless the
cruise would be cancelled. I can't remember a cruise being cancelled because
of storms, at least not in the last 8 yrs. Your ticket contract explains that
the cruiseline can revise iteneraries for a variety of reasons including
weather. Very good pricing from Labor Day till Thanksgiving.
Old May 12th, 2004, 12:27 AM

This happened tome on a Grand Princess cruise last September. We were
scheduled to go to the Eastern Caribbeanand we wre changed without any
notification to the Western Caribbean.
DORIS