Noise cancelling headphones - 2004

Old March 5th, 2004, 10:54 AM
Daniel Rosenzweig

Default Noise cancelling headphones - 2004

Well, a year ago I tried and returned a bunch of noise cancelling
headphones. Time to ask for opinions on 2004 models... I don't want to
spend more than $100..(no $230 Bose) and don't want earbuds.

I also need decent treble response, besides decent bass response. All
the ones I tried had awefule treble response. Much of the flight, I
plan on listening to VOICE audio... Even on music, I couldn't hear
smoe instruments with the ones I've tried... (mostly $40-$100 range...
including the Sony earbuds... poor treble and I don't like how they
feel in the ear).

Thanks.

Please response publically..
Old March 5th, 2004, 04:22 PM
Jerry G.

To cancel noise, it is a very complex application. Because of the many
variables involved, non of these are perfect. Seimens is using some
specialized noise cancelling headphones for industrial workers, such as in
machine shops, and high noise environments. These are excessively expensive,
and only cancel the environment noise. They do nothing else. These are not
even perfect.

I think you should spend your money on a very good quality pair of
headphones without paying for the noise cancelling.

--

Greetings,

Jerry Greenberg GLG Technologies GLG
WebPage http://www.zoom-one.com

om...

Old March 5th, 2004, 04:50 PM
afh3

If you are looking for hi-fi in an NC set, let me know when you find it --
if ever.

I have some Sennheiser NC phones that I use with my PocketPC (WMV movie
transcodes) when flying and my MD when mowing the lawn. They make a
substantial difference in the noise-level I perceive and the intelligibility
of the material I'm listening to is improved greatly, but it sure isn't a
hi-fi experience. I do know that I can sure tell the difference in my
hearing quality after a 4 hour flight with them on, vs. off. -- even if I'm
not listening to anything, I turn them on just for the noise reduction.

-afh3

Old March 5th, 2004, 05:44 PM
flint

I am way impressed with the Sony earbud style noise canceling phones. They
sound great and the NC circuit can be turned off for more critical
listening.

However, I just upgraded to the Shure E3c Earplug style headphones. They do
not have noise canceling, but instead act as earplugs to block ambient noise
and offer amazing sensitivity and sound quality. I am very impressed with
these. The only drawback is that after three hours with them in my ears, my
ear canals are a tad sore (not bad, but enough to notice).

- Flint

Old March 5th, 2004, 08:42 PM
Jeff Hacker

I have Koss' model - $199 but frequently on sale at $150. They're fine,
I've used them on many flights now, both to watch movies and even to just
shut out the engine noise.