Help please for first time OZ trip for a UK traveller.

Old August 22nd, 2004, 04:10 PM
Cookie Monster

Default Help please for first time OZ trip for a UK traveller.

I have a few questions to ask. Please answer as many as you can.

(1) I have booked my flight to OZ with Quantas for early next year.
There is no mention of a stop off on the flight.

Even though there is no stop off mentioned on the itinery will there
be a refulling stop or can a 747-400 make the trip non stop?

If there IS a stop (Usually Singapore?) would I need a visa? Do they
keep you in the airport on the secure side during a refulling stop?

My departure time is the 11th Feb at 2200hrs LONDON LHR and I arrive
on 13th Feb 0620hrs Melbourne. Does that sound like a non stop flight?

(2) On entering OZ apparently you need to show you have sufficient
funds for the duration of your stay. How would I show this? I won't be
carrying any cash. I will rely on my debit / credit cards.

I won't be staying in a hotel, but with a friend who is a Aussie
citizen/resident (Melbourne) therefore I won't need to show I have
enough money for accomodation. Will this help?

(3) If I want to rent a car while in Melbourne what documents would I
need? Just a full UK driving license? I have one speeding offence on
my license, will this make any difference?

(4) What documents will I need to enter OZ? I have already paid the
$20 for an Electronic Travel Authority. I have no proof of this. Do
they just check your passport number to see if you have an ETA?

I know nothing about travel to OZ so if you have any information that
might be useful to me then please say.

Thanks in advance for your help.
Old August 22nd, 2004, 07:35 PM
Bego Mario Garde

Cookie Monster wrote:
I have a few questions to ask. Please answer as many as you can.

I'll try my very best ...

(1) I have booked my flight to OZ with Quantas for early next year.
There is no mention of a stop off on the flight.

Have a closer look at you flight schedule. It should tell you, where
you'll stop.

Even though there is no stop off mentioned on the itinery will there
be a refulling stop or can a 747-400 make the trip non stop?

Definitley yes.

If there IS a stop (Usually Singapore?) ...

Or Hong Kong, Kuala Lumpur, Dubai, ...

... would I need a visa?

As soon as you want to leave the airport, you'll need a visa (which
usally is no more then a stamp into your passport).

Do they keep you in the airport on the secure side during
a refulling stop?

You can stay in the airport and enjoy endless shopping opportunities :-)

Or have a little rest, enjoy food and (not too many!) drinks, write an
e-mail home, watch bypassing travellers, buy another book or magazin for
your trip, rest, have one more drink at the bar, feel dizzy from too
many drinks, watch bypassing travellers, ...

Did I mention, that the toughest part of spending your holidays in
Australia is getting there (and home again)?

My departure time is the 11th Feb at 2200hrs LONDON LHR and I arrive
on 13th Feb 0620hrs Melbourne. Does that sound like a non stop flight?

Nope. Sounds like approx. 3 hours stop over. Not to bad.

The maximum range for an aircraft is about 16 hours travel time. Believe
me, even 12 hours are more then enough. BTW, wearing compression
stockings during the flight might be a good idea.

(2) On entering OZ apparently you need to show you have sufficient
funds for the duration of your stay. How would I show this? I won't be
carrying any cash. I will rely on my debit / credit cards.

No problem. Just make sure, you have a return ticket at hand.

I won't be staying in a hotel, but with a friend who is a Aussie
citizen/resident (Melbourne) therefore I won't need to show I have
enough money for accomodation. Will this help?

You have to fill out a "registration form" as you enter the country. You
can provide your temporary address in Australia there.

(3) If I want to rent a car while in Melbourne ...

Try to book your car ahead, it will save you lots of money.

...what documents would I need? Just a full UK driving license?

I just called the Australian motorist club and my rental car company.
Both didn't care to much about the type of drivers licence and both
said, any "international" (i.e. english/easy to understand) drivers
license would do. I have a European license (credit card size) and that
should perfectly do.

Oh, it should be for cars, not boats or planes ... :-)

I have one speeding offence on
my license, will this make any difference?

Oh, oh, ... :-)

You should mention upon arrival, that you'll try to behave well.

Make sure, you don't run into kangaroos.

(4) What documents will I need to enter OZ? I have already paid the
$20 for an Electronic Travel Authority. I have no proof of this. Do
they just check your passport number to see if you have an ETA?

Our travel agent usually attaches a computer printout with a paper clip
to our passport. Maybe you just have to make sure, you're registered? I
would check with the person who issued your ETA.

I know nothing about travel to OZ ...

Yes.

... so if you have any information that
might be useful to me then please say.

Watch out for the Australian drop bear.

Don't buy a didgeridoo (and later sit in an European shopping mall
trying to get back your travel expenses by stressing peoples nerves
playing it).

Don't forget a nice present for your friend. A return ticket for London
would make up a good one.

Thanks in advance for your help.

No worries ...

Bego
They never stop thinking about new ways to harm
our country and our people, and neither do we."

- George W. Bush, 5.8.2004
Old August 22nd, 2004, 08:24 PM
Frank Slootweg

Cookie Monster wrote:
I have a few questions to ask. Please answer as many as you can.

(1) I have booked my flight to OZ with Quantas for early next year.
There is no mention of a stop off on the flight.

Even though there is no stop off mentioned on the itinery will there
be a refulling stop or can a 747-400 make the trip non stop?

If there IS a stop (Usually Singapore?) would I need a visa? Do they
keep you in the airport on the secure side during a refulling stop?

My departure time is the 11th Feb at 2200hrs LONDON LHR and I arrive
on 13th Feb 0620hrs Melbourne. Does that sound like a non stop flight?

Just go to the Qantas (not Quantas) site and select your flight:

http://www.qantas.com - Flight Info - Timetable - From: London
(Heathrow) To: Melbourne Departing: Feb 2005 Fri 11- Go

You will see flight QF10 departing at 22:00. Now click on the little
red (Qantas) triangle below your date (Fri 11). That will bring up a
window with the flight details, which a

London (Heathrow) 22:00 to Singapore 18:35
Singapore 20:15 to Melbourne 06:20

So on this flight the refuelling stop is 1H40, which is rather short.
*Maybe* you will be allowed to go off the plane for a short time, but
don't count on it. Normally de-embarkation and re-boarding takes about
an hour (total), so 1H40 is rather short.

We had the exact same flight on November 1, 2003 and we could leave
the plane in Singapore, but I do not have the arrival and departure
times in Singapore anymore. What I remember is that we had at least an
hour 'off', i.e. in the terminal, before having to be back at the gate.

[rest deleted]

Old August 22nd, 2004, 09:35 PM
Ralph Holz

Hi,

Cookie Monster wrote:

Don't bring cookies into Oz if they're home-made. :-)

If there IS a stop (Usually Singapore?) would I need a visa? Do they
keep you in the airport on the secure side during a refulling stop?

No. You'll remain in the transit area.

I think EU citizens can get a transit visa for one day if they wish to
leave the airport in Singapore. Hardly worth it in your case, though.

(2) On entering OZ apparently you need to show you have sufficient
funds for the duration of your stay. How would I show this? I won't be
carrying any cash. I will rely on my debit / credit cards.

Forget about that, I don't think they'll even ask. Technically you might
have to show funds but if you have a return ticket plus a credit card...
no worries. You might want to check on www.immi.gov.au for the
technicalities of it if that helps you sleep better. ;-)

(3) If I want to rent a car while in Melbourne what documents would I
need? Just a full UK driving license? I have one speeding offence on
my license, will this make any difference?

UK driving license should be fine, rental agencies certainly did accept
my EU one. Though I think the official requirement is still an
international driving permit (IDP). You might want to check their
embassy's homepage.

(4) What documents will I need to enter OZ? I have already paid the
$20 for an Electronic Travel Authority. I have no proof of this. Do

www.immi.gov.au = you should be able to check the status of your ETA
(you have the number?) there and print it out. No need actually, as they
have it in their computer.

they just check your passport number to see if you have an ETA?

Yes, that's how it works.

I know nothing about travel to OZ so if you have any information that
might be useful to me then please say.

They're serious about quarantine so don't bring any fresh or dried foods
and have clean shoes.

Have a good stay - I miss it.
Ralph
Old August 22nd, 2004, 09:40 PM
Geoff Lillico

1. What is your flight number?
2. No problem as long as you have a return ticket
3. U.K. Driving licence OK
4. ETA is on our computer
--
The Commissioner

www.the-commissioner.com

om...

Old August 23rd, 2004, 06:56 PM
Cookie Monster

Thank you to all for your replies. You have put my mind at rest.

One other question though....

Where is a the best place in Melbourne to buy an really authentic hat
with corks? (If I'm not wearing one when I get out of the taxi when I
arrive home people might talk)

Old August 23rd, 2004, 10:14 PM
Geoff Lillico

I am sure the same applies in Melbourne, but in Sydney they are available
from most "Tourist Traps".