Help please for first time OZ trip for a UK traveller.

Old August 27th, 2004, 11:53 PM
Keith Sayers

On 23 Aug 2004 10:56:53 -0700, "Cookie Monster"
wrote:

Where is a the best place in Melbourne to buy an really authentic hat
with corks?

Never seen them for sale. The one I have - and use for
childrens' dances - I made myself. I think that is the general go.

Keith Sayers, Canberra, Australia
Mail : 6 Clambe Place,
CHARNWOOD, ACT 2615
http://www.pcug.org.au/~kmsayers
Old August 28th, 2004, 05:23 AM
Daniel Bowen

"Cookie Monster" wrote in message
om...
(1) I have booked my flight to OZ with Quantas for early next year.
There is no mention of a stop off on the flight.

Even though there is no stop off mentioned on the itinery will there
be a refulling stop or can a 747-400 make the trip non stop?

If there IS a stop (Usually Singapore?) would I need a visa? Do they
keep you in the airport on the secure side during a refulling stop?

My departure time is the 11th Feb at 2200hrs LONDON LHR and I arrive
on 13th Feb 0620hrs Melbourne. Does that sound like a non stop flight?

It will be Singapore or Bangkok, for about 90 minutes. You will stay
airside, and don't need a visa. If you look on the Qantas web site at your
flight details, you should see the stop shown in the timetable.

(2) On entering OZ apparently you need to show you have sufficient
funds for the duration of your stay. How would I show this? I won't be
carrying any cash. I will rely on my debit / credit cards.

I won't be staying in a hotel, but with a friend who is a Aussie
citizen/resident (Melbourne) therefore I won't need to show I have
enough money for accomodation. Will this help?

What kind of visa are you coming in on?

(3) If I want to rent a car while in Melbourne what documents would I
need? Just a full UK driving license? I have one speeding offence on
my license, will this make any difference?

Nope.

(4) What documents will I need to enter OZ? I have already paid the
$20 for an Electronic Travel Authority. I have no proof of this. Do
they just check your passport number to see if you have an ETA?

I believe so. I assume you heard back that the ETA was granted.

All the information you could possibly want about ETAs and visas is he
http://www.immi.gov.au/

Daniel
--
Daniel Bowen, Melbourne, Australia
Email: dbowen at custard dot net dot au

Old August 28th, 2004, 05:26 AM
Daniel Bowen

"Cookie Monster" wrote in message
Where is a the best place in Melbourne to buy an really authentic hat
with corks? (If I'm not wearing one when I get out of the taxi when I
arrive home people might talk)

There is no such thing as an authentic hat with corks.

Neither are there kangaroos bouncing down the street.

That said, you can probably find a hat in the tourist shops or the Victoria
Market.

Daniel

Old September 4th, 2004, 06:00 PM
Cookie Monster

No kangaroos bouncing down Chapel Street dodging in between the trams?
I wonder if I can get a refund from Qantas

Old September 4th, 2004, 06:00 PM
Cookie Monster