1st-time Cruise, 1st-time Caribbean, San Juan St. Maarten St. Thomas Nassau

Old December 7th, 2004, 03:36 AM

Default 1st-time Cruise, 1st-time Caribbean, San Juan St. Maarten St. Thomas Nassau

Hi everyone,

My husband and I are going on our very first cruise and our very first
trip to the Caribbean. We're leaving this Sunday Dec 12, on Royal
Caribbean's Explorer of the Seas. I'm hoping to get a little advice
about our ports. We were both surprised at how little time we spend at
each port! We'd like to have a plan when we arrive, so that we know
exactly where to go and start our day there.

What we like: the only thing we have to compare to this trip is our
Maui trip last year. We both LOVED playing in the waves,
boogie-boarding, snorkeling, and a little bit of shopping at local
shops (not resort-style stuff). We're on a budget, so we'll probably do
more than one or two shore excurions (probably none). I am excited
about snorkeling, and I would love to hear about great snorkeling
beaches, but I probably won't take a boat anywhere since I get really
sick on smaller boats. Also, I'm hoping to find beaches with diverse
age groups and body types... I won't really be able to truly relax if
I'm surrounded by thongs and models. And do they have boogie-boarding
in the Caribbean? It seems like the waves aren't big enough?

Our ports:
San Juan, PR 2 pm - 8 pm
Philipsburg, St. Maarten 8 am - 6 pm
Charlotte Amalie, St. Thomas 7 am - 5 pm
Nassau, Bahamas 12 pm - 6 pm

Any advice about these ports, or royal cruising, we would be so
appreciative. I can't believe it, but I haven't had time to research
these places and I know absolutely nothing about them. Sometimes it
seems I need this vacation just to recover from my preparation for it.
Thank you thank you thank you,
C.

Old December 7th, 2004, 04:17 PM
Jim

Hi Crystal,
First and foremost, ignore the trolls and nasty replies you will get
from this newsgroup. There are many nice people here but also quite a few
jerks that create a lot of problems.
The Explorer OTS is a great ship and there are lots of things you can
find to do onboard that will keep your attention. The ship in itself is
really a destination and was designed as such. Do not miss the Ice Show and
the productions shows are also excellent. As for the ports, San Juan is
basically a total bust unless you like to gamble or wish to attend the show
ashore with is an excursion. I believe you dock in the early evening, right?
If you dock during the day then walk the streets of Old San Juan and go to
Ft Morro, very interesting.
In St Maarten you can go to Orient Beach, (be advised it is tops
optional in all areas and clothing optional on one end). You can and should
take a taxi over to the French side and explore and shop just as you should
on the Dutch side.
In St Thomas you can either just wander around downtown, take a tour of
the island, go to Megans or Trunk Bay or even take a tour over to St Johns
for beaches and swimming.
In the Bahamas Atlantis is a nice place to visit or you can wander
around town, take a carriage tour, go to the Straw Market.
Jim
Community Staff Supervisor
www.cruisemates.com
The Free Internet Cruise Magazine

oups.com...

Old December 7th, 2004, 04:38 PM
Chrissy Cruiser

On Tue, 7 Dec 2004 11:17:57 -0500, Jim wrote:

Hi Crystal,
First and foremost, ignore the trolls and nasty replies you will get
from this newsgroup. There are many nice people here but also quite a few
jerks that create a lot of problems.

Jim
Community Staff Supervisor
www.cruisemates.com
The Free Internet Cruise Magazine

Then you have the liars who publicize their for profit websites in
violation of the RTC Charter.
Old December 7th, 2004, 05:20 PM
Jim

Can't have it both ways dimwit. I get slammed for posting because I don't
include a sig line stating I am part of the Cruisemates website and then I
get slammed when I place a sig line, (which is completely legal BTW) after
my post. Not once did I tell this person to go to www.cruisemates.com to
obtain other information, unlike a certain TA who sells cruises and tells
everyone to please go to his website on every post he makes including the
"me too" posts. I answered the posters questions as they requested which is
much more than anyone can ever say about your posts.
Jim
or
Jim
Community Staff Supervisor
www.cruisemates.com
The Free Internet Cruise Magazine

You pick the sig line you like VBG

Old December 7th, 2004, 07:17 PM
Chrissy Cruiser

On Tue, 7 Dec 2004 12:20:50 -0500, Jim wrote:

Can't have it both ways dimwit. I get slammed for posting because I don't
include a sig line stating I am part of the Cruisemates website and then I
get slammed when I place a sig line, (which is completely legal BTW) after
my post.

Legal, yes. Unethical, yes. It's very simple, NumbNuts. Make a response
with no sig line, don't mention or point to Xmates at all and since you are
hawking a "for profit" service, stay out of any thread which compromises
you ethically.

Not once did I tell this person to go to www.cruisemates.com to
obtain other information, unlike a certain TA who sells cruises and tells
everyone to please go to his website on every post he makes including the
"me too" posts.

I see.

Jimmy's Mommy: Get your hand out of that cookie jar!!!
Jimmy: Look. Over there. The dog is dropping an end on the sofa, Mommy!

You pick the sig line you like VBG

Jim
or
Jim
Community Staff Supervisor of For Profit Xmates

There, I like this last one the best.

I answered the posters questions as they requested which is
much more than anyone can ever say about your posts.

Which proves either a) you never read me or you wouldn't make such a stupid
statement or b) you rarely read me, you don't have a clue, your statement
is an out and out lie and you are a dunce.

You pick the option you like best VVVVVVVVVBG
Old December 8th, 2004, 02:22 AM
Chuck U. Farley

This post is a keeper, a poster post for Adult Attention Deficit Disorder.

Moron.

Old December 9th, 2004, 12:18 PM
Larry Simon

St. Martin and St. Thomas are two of our favorite destinations.

In St. Thomas we usually get going early and go to Trunk Bay on St. John,
it's a long trip but interesting and will take you about 1 1/2 hours to get
there. Snorkeling is pretty good and scenery is fantastic. Leave to boat
around a quarter past the hour and take a Taxi to the ferry dock at Red
Hook. Be prepared that the taxi driver will wait until the large taxi's are
full, but let him know you need to catch the taxi to St. John and he'll get
you there in time. The ferry to St. John leaves on the hour. In St. John
take the taxi to Trunk Bay. Be prepared with your camera as the Taxi will
stop at a scenic overview of Trunk bay just before you get there. The view
is awesome. Trunk Bay is a US national Park beach and there are facilities
there for snorkeling rental, chair rental, showers, concessions, etc. We
usually take a sheet to lie on. We always go on our own as its cheaper than
the cruise line excursions. We usually stay 2 to 3 hours and then get back
to the ship in time for a quick clean up, a snack, and time to go downtown
for a little shopping. There are taxi's all over to bring you back but
count on a little traffic.

In St. Martin we usually go to Orient Beach. Take a taxi and have them drop
you off at one of the beach clubs such as KaKao or Waikiki. They'll charge
you about $10 for very nice beach chairs and umbrellas. These are
mid-beach - farther from the area at the south end which is more congested
and has more nudity. The clubs have great seafood, a little pricy for beach
food, and less expensive sandwiches as well for lunch, and all serve drinks.
We usually go mid morning, and again leave by early afternoon to do some
shopping downtown. Once again, you're better off taking a taxi than a
cruise ship excursion. There isn't much snorkeling at Orient Beach but
there usually are waves when we've been there. If you're looking for
snorkeling you're better off at Dawn beach (which might be wavy and too
rough for snorkeling too). I've heard Pinel island is good too but haven't
been there. Here is a map of Orient Beach with some links that eventually
lead to sites for the beach clubs:
http://home.carolina.rr.com/edsandra...eachdetail.htm and a link to
KaKao Club: http://www.kakaobeachsxm.com/

Never been to San Juan (except traveling through) or Nassau so I can't help
you there. There are a few pictures of our Summit cruise last year which
included St. Martin and St. Thomas at this site:
http://home.comcast.net/~lfsimon/

Hope this helps some.

Larry

Old December 10th, 2004, 07:31 PM

Thanks, Chuck, Jim, and Larry!!! I can't wait.