Princess and South Hampton UK

Old April 26th, 2005, 05:34 PM
metanoia

Default Princess and South Hampton UK

We are booked on the June 10 Golden Princess out of South Hampton
(Southhampton??) and hope someone can give some tips on:
1. Transfer from Heathrow...we are getting in mid-day on
the 9th and are thinking about staying in London for the evening then
going to the ship (which has a 5PM sailing time).
2. Hotel: recommendations for either staying in London
or going directly to South Hampton
3. The Cruise...never done a princess but always thought
of them as an older crowd with walkers and oxygen bottles. I'm sure
that is not the case but can anyone help me dispell the rumor?

Thanks for any information...espcially the London part.

Old April 26th, 2005, 07:19 PM
How B

metanoia wrote:
We are booked on the June 10 Golden Princess out of South Hampton
(Southhampton??) and hope someone can give some tips on:
1. Transfer from Heathrow...we are getting in mid-day on
the 9th and are thinking about staying in London for the evening then
going to the ship (which has a 5PM sailing time).
2. Hotel: recommendations for either staying in London
or going directly to South Hampton

Are you sure of the date? I sent for a Princess Europe brochure and it
shows the Golden leaving on Saturday June 11. Could be a print error,
or you could end up with an additional day in London.

As the trip from London to Southampton takes only about 90 minutes, I'd
do the overnight in London and take a train around noon the next day for
the ship. Trains for Southampton leave from Waterloo Station.

From the airport, the Heathrow Express train goes nonstop to
Paddingtopn Station in London. From there, it's best to cab it to your
hotel.

I've had good luck with Thistle Hotels. They have about a dozen
locations throughout London. Rates are ghastly these days, and if it's
only for one night you might as well look for a deal on Expedia or similar.

Enjoy!
Howard

Old April 26th, 2005, 08:22 PM
Mark O. Polo

Metanoia:

The place name is Southampton and in answer to your query:

1. Transfer from LHR is easily accomplished by bus from the central bus
station at Heathrow. Frequency is every two hours and price is approx
$20/person one way.

2. Plenty accommodations in Southampton and much to see ...old town
walls, maritime museum, art galleries, Titanic memorials, ferries to
Isle of Wight, etc. Rededication of the SS Sheildhall on 11 June at the
city cruise terminal.

3. Princess ships are enjoyable and you will find a mix of ages. Judge
for yourself.

Aloha

Old April 26th, 2005, 09:20 PM
metanoia

The print error is mine...the boat (ship) leaves Southampton at 5 on
the 11th.

I appreciate the input and look forward to anyone elses comments....

And a question I forgot and will be researching but what is the weather
that time of year in London, Dublin, Belfast etc.?

Old April 26th, 2005, 10:00 PM
Mark O. Polo

metanoia:

Since you will be in So'ton on 11 June, do visit the SS Shieldhall, the
oldest operational cargo/passenger vessel in the UK, when she is at the
city cruise terminal celebrating her golden jubilee:

http://www.ss-shieldhall.co.uk/prog.htm

Incidentally, sometimes one can stay overnight aboard ship for something
like $20/night/person.

You might also consider shopping at three large shopping centers
inasmuch as the city is now among the UK's top five shopping
destinations. The port is also known as the 'Green City' so enjoy some
of the parks and also take the Titanic Trail walking tour as the
numerous monuments underscore the city's unending connection with the
Titanic tragedy.

Aloha

Old April 30th, 2005, 05:03 PM
0 O

Check the cruise line for their Hotel and transfer special --we are
booked to do this on a Celebrity cruise out of DOVER UK

Old April 30th, 2005, 05:03 PM
0 O