By private car to Mexicali, Baja California (Mexico)

Old July 30th, 2005, 04:58 AM
Jonas

Default By private car to Mexicali, Baja California (Mexico)

Is it wise to travel across the border by car (not a rental car).

I've heard that Mexican auto insurance is required.
Does this requirement apply also to the so-called "Free Trade Zone"
close to the US Border?

Thanks for your advice

Jonas
Old July 30th, 2005, 07:52 AM
RVerDon

"Jonas" wrote in message
Is it wise to travel across the border by car (not a rental car).

I've heard that Mexican auto insurance is required.
Does this requirement apply also to the so-called "Free Trade Zone"
close to the US Border?

Thanks for your advice

Jonas

I travel almost every year to Mexico in my motorhome. Yes, you definitely
need Mexican liability insurance in the "free trade zone" as well as the
rest of Mexico. If you are in an accident without insurance you will
probably end up in jail, which will not be a good experience. You may not
need physical loss insurance on your vehicle depending on how far you travel
in Mexico. Check with your U.S. insurance carrier as some will cover you
for physical loss of your vehicle for short distances from the border.

Don

Old August 1st, 2005, 08:25 AM

[Unable to load up or down a cuppla days. Here's a message filed
7/31/2005 03:57]

Jonas wrote:
Is it wise to travel across the border by car (not a rental car).

Why would it not be?

I've heard that Mexican auto insurance is required. Does this
requirement apply also to the so-called "Free Trade Zone" close to
the US Border?

There is a narrow zone (about 70km) in Mexico along the US border.
Your US insurance might be valid there. Locals even have special
license plates.

Going South of that zone, however, I believe you do need Mexican
insurance.
Un San Francisque=F1o en San Francisco.
http://geocities.com/dancefest/ - http://geocities.com/iconoc/
ICQ: http://wwp.mirabilis.com/19098103 --- IClast at SFbay Net

Old August 1st, 2005, 08:43 PM
Hatunen

Jonas wrote:
Is it wise to travel across the border by car (not a rental car).

Why would it not be?

I've heard that Mexican auto insurance is required. Does this
requirement apply also to the so-called "Free Trade Zone" close to
the US Border?

There is a narrow zone (about 70km) in Mexico along the US border.
Your US insurance might be valid there. Locals even have special
license plates.

Going South of that zone, however, I believe you do need Mexican
insurance.

Your American insurance may, in fact, be valid all over Mexico,
but that's not the problem. The problem is that the Mexicans have
been stiffed by American insurance companies so many times once
the American driver has scooted back to the USA that they don't
care if your American insurance is valid in Mexico; you MUST have
Mexican instance when you drive into Mexico, even the frontier
zone.

If you have an accident the Mexican police can lock you up until
all financial matters are settled; Mexican insurance expedites
this settlement. if there is bodily injury to a Mexican expect to
spend some time in whatever town you are in.

There's a bit of advice also frequently given: if you have an
accident in Mexico, run, do not walk, to the nearest border and
scoot home and let the insurance company take care of it.