trip from NE to DC

Old May 7th, 2009, 04:43 PM posted to alt.travel,rec.travel.usa-canada
A. Wright

Default trip from NE to DC

For NYC hotels, we are thinking outside of Manhattan and take the subway to
downtown for our day trips. For example, in NJ or Queens or Brooklyn? Any
suggestions?

Old May 7th, 2009, 04:50 PM posted to alt.travel,rec.travel.usa-canada
A. Wright

"K" wrote in message

If you find yourselves in the Mystic, CT area, go to Abbott's Lobster in
the Rough. It's great, and you can sit at a picnic table on the bank of
the Mystic river while you enjoy your meal. If it's crummy outside you
can sit indoors They steam their lobsters, and you'll be hard-pressed to
beat their 'feast' meal'.

There are a lot of great seafood places in Boston, too, but none that are
particularly cheap. There is a chain called 'Legal Seafood' that to my
mind is over priced and not that great. Try the 'No-Name' restaurant out
on the fish pier while avoiding Anthony's, which is another overpriced and
not so good.

If Jimmy's Harborside is back in business, then by all means splurge.
They are high-priced, but give you some real class and fantastic food for
your money. I think the staff were all born there, and it's great. They
closed a few years back to allow for pier repairs, but check them out.
The food at No-Name is probably as good, but you sit at picnic tables with
strangers and paper towels, where Jimmy's is white linen and crystal all
around. Try them both.

Just a note: From Boston you can take either the train or a ferry up to
Gloucester, which is a real fishing town, and where the story 'Perfect
Storm' originated. Scenes for the movie were filmed there. If it's warm
enough, try a whale watch. They're always fun, and you always see whales,
sometimes a lot of them. Try a Portuguese restaurant if you go.

Thank you. which lobster restaurant in Boston downtown area should I try?
Prefer along the subway or by bus.

Old May 7th, 2009, 04:55 PM posted to alt.travel,rec.travel.usa-canada
A. Wright

"- Bobb -" wrote in message

http://www.mass-vacation.com/thingstodo.php
http://www.yankeemagazine.com/index.php
http://www.discoverourtown.com/MA/Bo...ions-1894.html
http://www.gophila.com/Go/TravelTools/

Thank you Bob. We are getting the AAA tour book and read it first. Thanks.

Old May 7th, 2009, 05:00 PM posted to alt.travel,rec.travel.usa-canada
A. Wright

Lodging-wise, one alternative while visiting DC is to stay at an outlying
area served by the Metro - like Arlington - and take the Metro in to the
Mall, et al.

Yes, thank you. We are very interested to stay outside DC downtown and take
the Metro day trip. Any particular areas do you recommend? Thanks. We are
thinking 4 days in DC areas.

Old May 7th, 2009, 05:10 PM posted to alt.travel,rec.travel.usa-canada
A. Wright

"SMS" wrote in message
A. Wright wrote:

With Venere we got a room for $99/night at the Savoy Suites in Georgetown
neighborhood of D.C.. Compared to the last time I was in D.C. and stayed
in a fleabag place near the Metro in College Park for $70/night, this
place was like a mansion. The city bus to downtown was $1.35, or if we
walked a few blocks we could get the "Circulator" bus for $1. Plus there
were lots of restaurants within walking distance (and two Whole Foods and
a wine-less Trader Joe's).

Resist the temptation to stay far from D.C. to save relatively small
amounts of money. Hotels near the Metro stations tend to be either
expensive or junky, depending on the city and the property, and you'll
spend time and money going back and forth, with many of them requiring a
shuttle van ride or long walk from the hotel to the station. I.e. I wanted
to stay in Silver Spring near a relative, but the decent hotels near the
Metro in Silver Spring were very expensive. I also checked out Alexandria,
but it was the same deal--no great deals, and a lot of time in transit
each day, which is not how you want to spend your time.

Ditto for NYC. Staying in New Jersey or Queens is cheaper, but it's a
hassle. Especially if you want to go back to your hotel for a rest in the
afternoon before going out to a play or concert. You don't have to stay in
the Times Square area though, there are lots of hotels in more interesting
neighborhoods, with better restaurants, that cost less than the touristy
areas of Times Square.

Thanks. In the DC areas, how can I find out more about the bus routes and
maps? Are Georgetown hotels better choice compare to Arlington?
Which area of NYC would you choose? why would outside Manhattan a hassel if
all we have to take is the subway?

Old May 7th, 2009, 06:53 PM posted to alt.travel,rec.travel.usa-canada
Eugene Miya

In article ,
A. Wright wrote:
Do you think 4 days in DC is enough?

No, but you will have to be satisified.

We are thinking of 3 days in Boston, 3 days in NYC, 2 days in Pitt?

Fast short trips.

--

Looking for an H-912 (container).

Old May 7th, 2009, 07:10 PM posted to alt.travel,rec.travel.usa-canada
Eugene Miya

In article ,
Lawrence Akutagawa wrote:
"SMS" wrote in message
.. .
A. Wright wrote:
We are from California. We are thinking to take a sight seeing trip from
NE to DC, stopping at the major cities. Can you please tell me when is
the off peak seasons this fall? We are thinking taking the train, but
rent a car if must. We have been to NYC some 20 years ago, but never been
to Boston, Pitt & DC. Are there any must-sees for mature folks? Thank you
kindly.

Just "did" D.C. and NYC with the kids last month. "Mature" isn't all that
descriptive. Both mature and immature folks eventually get tired of just
going to museums. D.C. is all about museums and monuments. The restaurants
aren't all that great and are expensive. We were in Georgetown which had
some okay restaurants, but not to the level of the Bay Area, especially in
terms of Asian cuisines.

This is a pretty good characterization about museums and monuments.
Georgetown still is DC. The better food is very expensive (usually; I
can think of old exceptions but they are gone).

But also visit Union Station. And you can also visit with your
Representatives and try to visit Senators (although as Feinstein and
Boxer as major Senators time with them is harder to come by). Depending
on availability seeing sights on Capitol Hill is useful, even if just
the Library of Congress or for some people into the judicial side, the
Supreme Court. Some advance work (like contacting your Rep. might be in
order).

I thought the Spy Museum was great in D.C., but it was uncomfortably
crowded.

Actually there are 4 in the area. The new one is cross block from FBI
HQ. It's really more of a counter spy museum. The FBI sometimes gives
tours (find out about availability). #2 requires a car toward Baltimore
and is just off the MD 32 off ramp at Fort Meade (which was just on KTEH
Nova on Sunday), the Natl. Crypto Museum. #3 is in VA at the other major
spook agency. #4 is a very private collection, I think I saw a bit it at
#3 and on the Travel Channel and is own by Keith Melton who collects that
stuff and has a couple of books out on it.

We went during spring break when it seems that every eighth grade
class in America has their D.C./NYC trip.

DC ALWAYS seems that way.

The driving was not a lot of fun. The roads suck, and there are so many
damn toll booths. Unlike the Bay Area, they won't sell one of those

8^)
electronic toll thingees to non-residents. There was a lot of rain as

In DC, no one has yet mentioned Arlington National Cemetery, just across the
Potomac from the Lincoln Memorial. To be seen there is the changing of the
guard at the Tomb of the Unkown Soldier, JFK's grave site, and Arlington
House, the former home of Robert E. Lee. If you know of anyone lost in the
Vietnam Wall, there is the Wall.

Across the street is the Einstein statue.

More memorials.

One might also check on Pentagon tours (not that I've ever taken one nor
had the time).

Lodging-wise, one alternative while visiting DC is to stay at an outlying
area served by the Metro - like Arlington - and take the Metro in to the
Mall, et al.

Arlington is still DC in my book. The hotels there get filled by people
doing NSF and DARPA program and proposal reviews.

I would recommend any lodging at the outer most fringes of the Metro.
And even then you will still meet the 8th graders and their parents.

Do as much homework in advance as you can as 4 days isn't a lot of time.

--

Looking for an H-912 (container).

Old May 7th, 2009, 10:59 PM posted to alt.travel,rec.travel.usa-canada
SMS

A. Wright wrote:

Thanks. In the DC areas, how can I find out more about the bus routes
and maps?

"http://www.dccirculator.com/map2009_20090327.pdf"
"http://www.georgetowndc.com/getting-here/shuttle"
"http://www.wmata.com/bus/"

Are Georgetown hotels better choice compare to Arlington?

I think so. You're still in D.C.. Buses go right down Wisconsin Avenue
to the mall area.

Also check out the Red Roof Inn in the heart of D.C. near Chinatown. I
saw good reviews about it. Maybe not the best neighborhood, but in the
daytime it'd be okay.

Which area of NYC would you choose? why would outside Manhattan a hassel
if all we have to take is the subway?

It can be a long ride on the subway from the other boroughs into
Manhattan, but other than that it's okay. I remember taking the subway
from the JFK Jamaica AirTrain station to our hotel, and it was quite a
long ride. As someone else suggested, look into Priceline, and as I
suggested, check "biddingfortravel.com" first. Remember though, once you
book with Priceline you're committed. Also look at the two sites I
suggested, quikbook.com and venere.com.

I really liked being in the South Seaport Area last time because I like
going to Chinatown to eat, and I'm not all that into the super-touristy
stuff at Times Square. Also, there's another TKTS outlet in the South
Seaport area if you want to get tickets without the massive lines up in
Times Square. It wasn't that far from the Lower East Side and Katz's
deli (of "When Harry Met Sally" fame). A lot depends on the stuff you
want to do as well. If you're going to all the art museums on the Upper
East Side then South Seaport isn't as good a place to stay.
Old May 7th, 2009, 11:04 PM posted to alt.travel,rec.travel.usa-canada
SMS

A. Wright wrote:
For NYC hotels, we are thinking outside of Manhattan and take the subway
to downtown for our day trips. For example, in NJ or Queens or Brooklyn?
Any suggestions?

I don't think that you'll save much money by doing that. You can get a
good double room in Manhattan for $100-150 these days. Once you factor
in the transportation costs and time, you won't be saving much.
Remember, every time the two of you make a r/t on the subway it'll be
$10 (fares are going up to $2.50).

Look at
"http://biddingfortravel.yuku.com/forums/68/t/New-York-State-New-York-City.html"
Old May 8th, 2009, 12:40 AM posted to alt.travel,rec.travel.usa-canada

A. Wright wrote:
"K" wrote in message

[...]

I don't know of a Boston restaurant where I'd give a big recommendation to
the lobster, but that's me. I suppose I've had lobster in indoor
restaurants, but the best ones are at roadside places where you eat at
picnic tables outside, and don't need someone putting a bib on you. No-Name
and Jimmy's Harborside (if it's open again) are easy walks from the Trade
Center subway station.

I've already suggested Abbot's in Mystic, though it's actually in Noank.
Most Amtrak trains from Boston to NYC stop in Mystic, and it would be a cab
ride to Abbott's. If you will believe it, there is a good clam shack right
there, too. Name? Costello's. Both are strictly byob.

If you're willing to detour a few hours north from Boston to Maine, then you
can find the real lobster experience, where you can enjoy with your feet in
the sand and your eyes on the sea.