tipping demand (in Montreal)

Old October 22nd, 2003, 01:38 AM
Marcel

Default Does take-out/ buffet require a tip?

"Lynn Guinni" a écrit dans le message de
| Nobody would have dreamed of tipping at a takeout a few years ago. I
| don't know what genius decided on the idea of a tip jar, but obviously
| he realized there are a lot of idiots out there. Some jars even have
| nasty, pushy slogans on them (e.g., "Tipping is not a city in China").
| Remember, if you toss money in there, it'll be shared, rather than going
| to some individual who gave good service.
|
| I'd say that if it's a place to go to frequently, and you consistently
| get above standard service from them, some kind of tip is in order. If
| it's a one-time and they just hand something over, I wouldn't encourage
| the baksheesh beggars.
|
| Next question: what about a tip at a serve-yourself buffet?

interrestingly enough, there was a bit on the radio just a few days ago
where they were talking about tipping rates, etc.

They said that for buffets, it should be 10%.

It is tru that you have wait staff for drinks and stuff, and busboy/gals,
but you don't get the personnalized service of ordering, suggestion on what
food to choose, proper sequencing and timing of plates, personnalized
attention ("Is everything ok", getting more bread, condiments, etc).

So, yes, 10% seems about right, unless you require a lot of attention (order
many drinks / wine / beer / coffee).

my 2 cents...

Marcel.

Old October 22nd, 2003, 05:41 AM
Eric Holeman

Default tipping - lower min wage references

In article ,
Juliana L Holm wrote:

Would you prefer that?

Yes.

--
---
Eric Holeman Chicago Illinois USA
Old October 22nd, 2003, 09:44 AM
Marie Lewis

In article , Icono
Clast writes
What we need is for people who work to be able to live on what they
earn without regard to what the customers choose to do beyond honoring
the business with their patronage.

Hurray! What common sense.
--
Marie Lewis
Old October 23rd, 2003, 05:37 PM
me

(Icono Clast) wrote in message . com...
Juliana L Holm wrote:
Icono Clast wrote:

[snip]
If they did they would have to significantly raise prices. Would you pay
them?

"Significantly"? I don't think so. Let's raise the waitron's pay from
$2 to $8 an hour.

Okay, but an awful lot of servers earn more than that right now
so that's a cut in pay. They might not like you too much after
you make this change.

[snip]
or add or include a service charge in the pricing as they do in Europe.
Would you prefer that?

It works in Europe and is occasionally encountered here. If that's how
they want to do it, fine. We can always augment the service charge for
better-than-normal service. Or employers can be honest by increasing
prices 15%, wages 300%, levy no service charge and prohibit tips in
excess of 5% of the amount of a check. In other words, pay fairly and
charge honestly.

It could be done this way, but some folks would make vastly less.
Furthermore, a whole lotta accounting law would have to be changed.
But it could be done.

What we need is for people who work to be able to live on what they
earn without regard to what the customers choose to do beyond honoring
the business with their patronage. That's why Minimum Wage laws are on
the books.

Actually, the reason for minimum wage laws is sot that EMPLOYERS
will pay them as such. The reason there are exemptions for
tip based salaries is because the customers are already doing a good
job of providing such a wage.

[snip]
The system we have usually works, and allows waitstaff to earn a better wage
than they would if they got minimum.

"Allows"? Gee, thank you Ms. Boss for ALLOWing me to get tips from my
customers that I'll have to use to pay for my medical coverage and
pension. Because you will have put so little into my Social Security
account, if I didn't create my own pension, when I retire I'd have to
choose between buying electricity and food. Yes, thank you. Thank you
so much.

Actually, you can (and many do) pay into SS yourself. You could
take some of that tip money and raise your SS contributions so you'd
have a better SS income. I wouldn't advise it personally, but you
could. Most folks I know who actually get paid this way, don't
make the complaints you do. Most folks I know don't WANT to change
the tip system. Most folks are doing better by it than they would
have any hope of accomplishing by direct wage. And it tends to keep
the feds out of their pockets as well.
Old October 23rd, 2003, 09:56 PM
Lynn Guinni

Marcel wrote:

It is tru that you have wait staff for drinks and stuff, and busboy/gals,
but you don't get the personnalized service of ordering, suggestion on what
food to choose, proper sequencing and timing of plates, personnalized
attention ("Is everything ok", getting more bread, condiments, etc).

So, yes, 10% seems about right, unless you require a lot of attention (order
many drinks / wine / beer / coffee).

Based on your first paragraph, 10% seems pretty excessive. Let's assume
you tip 15% on any beverages they have to bring you just like in any
other restaurant. This has nothing to do with the food. Or lets look
at it another way: suppose you order no drinks at all, so it's just the
food consideration. Then the only service you've received is that a
busboy clears your plate. Why is that worth 2/3 of the normal tip
amount?