driving across the USA - provisional itinerary

Old November 27th, 2003, 09:48 AM
rob tyler

Default driving across the USA - provisional itinerary

We have now put together a rough outline of the itinerary for our drive
across the USA from New York to San Francisco via New Orleans and Santa Fe.
This is my first trip to the USA.

We have had many useful suggestions from the newsgroup and our route and
places to stay are rough guides as to the final journey. We would love to
hear of any recommended towns along the route that would offer more
interesting stopping places; and any other suggestions or comments. We are a
bit wary now as to the weather conditions in the South West in particular.

And the important question is: What should we not miss? Which features along
the route or involving a reasonable detour would you recommend we include.

13th December, Saturday Fly to New York JFK drive to Philadelphia PA 106
miles

14th December, Sunday past Washington to Roanake VA 378 miles

15th December, Monday to Knoxville TA 260 miles

16th December, Tuesday Chattanooga TA 112 miles

17th December, Wednesday Tuscaloosa AL 204 miles

18th December, Thursday New Orlreans LS 291 miles

19th December, , Friday New Orleans LS 0 miles

20th December, Saturday Beaumont TX 261 miles

21th December, Sunday Austin TX 248 miles

22th December, Monday Sheffield TX 317 miles

23rd December, Tuesday Carslbad, NM 210 miles

Christmas Eve, Wednesday Santa Fe NM 267 miles

Christmas Day, Thursday Santa Fe NM 0 miles

26th December, , Friday Gallup NM 198 miles

27th December, Saturday Flagstaff AZ 185 miles

28th December, Sunday Flagstaff & Grand Canyon 77 miles

29th December, Monday Las Vegas NV 275 miles

30th December, Tuesday Bakersfield CA 286 miles

New Years Eve, Wednesday San Francisco CA 288 miles

New Years Day, Thursday San Francisco CA 0 miles

2nd January, Friday explore the Californian coast

3rd January, Saturday day off

4th January, Sunday San Francisco: Fly back to London

Approximately 4000 miles for the trip

Old November 27th, 2003, 11:52 AM
B Vaughan

On Thu, 27 Nov 2003 08:48:28 -0000, "rob tyler"
wrote:

[...]

It sounds like a pretty brutal pace to me. There are only four days
where you aren't on the road, and you hit the road immediately on
arrival, when you will surely be tired and maybe also jet lagged. (In
addition to the driving time, there is the checking into and out of
hotels, finding places to eat, etc., that add significantly to the
stress level.) I would have suggested a day or so in Philadelphia, and
at least three days in New York, but it would only make the pace more
intense further on.

Old November 27th, 2003, 04:28 PM
Brian Wickham

wrote:

We have now put together a rough outline of the itinerary for our drive
across the USA from New York to San Francisco via New Orleans and Santa Fe.
This is my first trip to the USA.

We have had many useful suggestions from the newsgroup and our route and
places to stay are rough guides as to the final journey. We would love to
hear of any recommended towns along the route that would offer more
interesting stopping places; and any other suggestions or comments. We are a
bit wary now as to the weather conditions in the South West in particular.

And the important question is: What should we not miss? Which features along
the route or involving a reasonable detour would you recommend we include.

13th December, Saturday Fly to New York JFK drive to Philadelphia PA 106
miles

Consider NY to Front Royal VA if you have the time. From there take
the Sky Line Drive through the Blue Ridge, but if it's closed due to
weather you can drive through the Shenandoah Valley and on to Roanoke.
Either way it's a pretty drive.

All of I-95 from NY to FL is deadly boring. Unless you must go to
Philadelphia I would take I-78 to Harrisburg, PA and then I-81 to
Virginia.

14th December, Sunday past Washington to Roanake VA 378 miles

15th December, Monday to Knoxville TA 260 miles

16th December, Tuesday Chattanooga TA 112 miles

17th December, Wednesday Tuscaloosa AL 204 miles

You can make up time in this Roanoke to New Orleans leg if need be.

18th December, Thursday New Orlreans LS 291 miles

19th December, , Friday New Orleans LS 0 miles

Maximize your time in New Orleans

Minimize your time in Texas

20th December, Saturday Beaumont TX 261 miles

21th December, Sunday Austin TX 248 miles

22th December, Monday Sheffield TX 317 miles

Once out of Texas be mindful of where you need to cross mountain
ranges. This is not the best time of year for that sort of thing.
Stay on top of the weather reports!

23rd December, Tuesday Carslbad, NM 210 miles

Christmas Eve, Wednesday Santa Fe NM 267 miles

Christmas Day, Thursday Santa Fe NM 0 miles

26th December, , Friday Gallup NM 198 miles

27th December, Saturday Flagstaff AZ 185 miles

28th December, Sunday Flagstaff & Grand Canyon 77 miles

Be at Grand Canyon when it opens in the a.m.

29th December, Monday Las Vegas NV 275 miles

Unless you have a particular reason for stopping in Bakersfield you
might consider traveling through to Fresno or Merced. That would give
you time to see a National Park the next morning before driving into
San Francisco.

30th December, Tuesday Bakersfield CA 286 miles

New Years Eve, Wednesday San Francisco CA 288 miles

New Years Day, Thursday San Francisco CA 0 miles

2nd January, Friday explore the Californian coast

3rd January, Saturday day off

4th January, Sunday San Francisco: Fly back to London

Approximately 4000 miles for the trip

At least you have a plan. I'm sure you will find that you need to be
flexible and it seems to be that you have padding in there to allow
for it.

If you need to do hard driving to make up time then 600 miles per long
day is easily done on Interstate highways. It isn't fun but it could
put you back on schedule.

Brian Wickham
Old November 27th, 2003, 04:53 PM
Smiley

rob tyler wrote:

[...]

I have looked at your trip its nice and slow about 5 hour only per day
average which is a good pace but it does not give you much time to see
the sights it is off season. If you must see California fly across and
stay a few days it will be cheaper than the drive.

I recommend staying longer in Washington DC or east coast.

What kind of sights are you thinking of looking at?

--
Please note: To avoid spam, all email to my Hotmail address (above) is automatically trashed. If you wish to send me an email, kindly say so in a post, before attempting to send the mail. I will notify you by a private email to which we can respond to.

Old November 27th, 2003, 04:54 PM
fishman

"rob tyler" wrote in message
[...]

I like your itinerary.

More Early American and Civil War history than you can shake a stick at -
do some research and pick one or two.

15th December, Monday to Knoxville TA 260 miles

16th December, Tuesday Chattanooga TA 112 miles

There is a place you must stop on I-75 in Philadelphia, TN, albout halfway.
It's a small family dairy that started making cheeses and has some really
nice varieties. It's about 5 miles or so off the interstate and a nice
stop. http://www.swee****ervalley.com/ We found it a few years ago when
they were just starting, I'm sure they have expanded; their website says
they have tours now.

I don't know much about the West, sorry.

Have a great trip.

Chris

Old November 27th, 2003, 05:24 PM
Nile

200 miles a day is less than 4 hours' driving time on the interstate
highways (I-95, e.g.) If you drive longer days between your main
interest points then you can spend an extra day or two there, instead of
using whole vacation days driving just four hours to get to your next
intermediate stop.

As a comparison on distances, the state of Alabama alone is about the
same size as England.

You do have a good route. Highlights that you might consider:

- Great Smoky Mountains near Knoxville, the most-visited national park
in the U.S. (Gatlinburg is mostly an eyesore but the mountains are
great; you can just drive through without staying if you want, Hwy. 441,
Gatlinburg to Cherokee or vice-versa. You will be seeing mountains
again out west, plus other, smaller ones on your drive in the east, so
decide what you have time for);

- New Orleans for sure. Go to Preservation Hall in the French Quarter,
open in the evenings ($5) for jazz. Take the trolley out to the Garden
District and look around; Magazine Street has interesting stores
(antiques mostly), and the zoo is out that way. The Fairgrounds is in
season if you like horse racing. Any restaurant will be good.

- Galveston near Houston is on the Gulf; a day or two at the Gulf might
be a good option for a break from driving;

- You named Austin, a good choice, but said nothing about nearby San
Antonio. Conde Nast called San Antonio one of the four unique cities in
the U.S.;

- Santa Fe / Taos is good. The loop around Taos is a well-known drive;

- Grand Canyon for sure!

Rest of trip sounds fine. You'll miss the Saguaro cactus country
(southern Arizona) by heading north but will see plenty of other desert.
The Hoover Dam is literally on the road between the Grand Canyon and Las
Vegas (Hwy. 93). It would be a really good topper to your trip if you
could work in Yosemite National Park, not too far from San Francisco,
but time may not allow it this trip.

Old November 27th, 2003, 05:25 PM
TheNewsGuy(Mike)

On Thu, 27 Nov 2003 08:48:28 -0000, "rob tyler"
wrote:

I agree with the other post. It sounds like you are just "driving"
throught the USA and not seeing anything. WHY?
It has been my experience, and others see it too on this newsgroup,
tha tpeople from the UK just can't fathom the vast distances in North
America. Your trip is almost all behind the wheel. By the time you
check out of a hotel, hit the road, get to where you are going - since
it is winter - it will be dark when you get there - What will you see?
Who will you meet?

If you haven't booked your flights, Iwould suggest:
====================
New York - 4 days
Philadelphia - 2 days
Washington - 3 days
Williamsburgh - 2 days
Savannah - 1 day
New Orleans - 2 days
Miami - 3 days for New Years, Orange Bowl parade, et al....
Back to New York and return flight

But, hey, that's just me -

BTW Do Vegans breastfeed?

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
+ The News Guy(Mike) - Seinfeld Lists
+ (two mirrored sites)
+ http://membres.lycos.fr/tnguym
+ http://waveprohosting.com/tnguym
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Old November 27th, 2003, 05:36 PM
Me

In article ,
"rob tyler" wrote:

We have now put together a rough outline of the itinerary for our drive
across the USA from New York to San Francisco via New Orleans and Santa Fe.
This is my first trip to the USA.

We have had many useful suggestions from the newsgroup and our route and
places to stay are rough guides as to the final journey. We would love to
hear of any recommended towns along the route that would offer more
interesting stopping places; and any other suggestions or comments. We are a
bit wary now as to the weather conditions in the South West in particular.

And the important question is: What should we not miss? Which features along
the route or involving a reasonable detour would you recommend we include.

Based on your itinerary, it doesn't seem as if you've allowed for any
time to actually get out of your rental car to see any of the cities on
your list. I suggest you reduce the number of cities on your itinerary
by at least half and actually plan to spend a day or two in the
remaining cities.
Old November 27th, 2003, 08:32 PM
Charles Hawtrey

Brian Wickham staggered to the nearest
keyboard and wrote:

Consider NY to Front Royal VA if you have the time. From there take
the Sky Line Drive through the Blue Ridge, but if it's closed due to
weather you can drive through the Shenandoah Valley and on to Roanoke.
Either way it's a pretty drive.
All of I-95 from NY to FL is deadly boring. Unless you must go to
Philadelphia I would take I-78 to Harrisburg, PA and then I-81 to
Virginia.

The Skyline Drive / Blue Ridge Parkway is slow but very nice (this
part of the country is my ancestral homeland so I may be biased).
Unfortunately you will be traveling in December when the leaves will
be gone.

Heavy truck traffic on I-81 makes the drive south through the valley
from Front Royal not much fun. Consider an alternate route even if
slower. US 29 will bring you close to Charlottesville and Monticello
(Thomas Jefferson country) and Appomattox (where the, erm, War Between
the States ended). From Lynchburg you could take US 460 over to
Roanoke to catch I-81 south into Tennessee.

As others have mentioned the weather may not be pleasant at this time
of year.

--
hambu n hambu hodo
Old November 27th, 2003, 10:05 PM
steve

Have a look at my website it may give you a few ideas of where to visit or
avoid on your journey.
Good luck
Steve
London UK