How to bring a suit with me overseas?

Old July 19th, 2005, 12:42 PM
Donald Newcomb

wrote in message
I'm going to a wedding in France next month (I live in the USA). I've

never
taken a suit with me on a plane before, so I'm wondering how I will do

that.
I will be flying in coach class.

There have been a number of good responses to this question but no one seems
to have mentioned that the type of suit you pack is almost as important as
how you pack it. For instance, I'm sure you wouldn't take a linen suit that
has to be pressed every time it worn. These days, taking a wool or silk suit
might be just as ill advised. Thanks to modern science you can now buy
sports jackets that are virtually wash & wear and won't take wrinkle no
matter how badly packed. Travel-Smith sells a variety of this type of
clothing (of which they are quite proud [$]).

Anyway, I'm assuming the "suit" in question is not a tux.
--
Donald Newcomb
DRNewcomb (at) attglobal (dot) net

Old July 19th, 2005, 12:44 PM
The Reids

Following up to EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)

I have a version of a suit bag that is more robust, in fact it
has become my main hold luggage, my clothes come out of the
wardrobe, into the bag on the hangers, out of the bag into the
hotel wardrobe still on hangers, all in seconds. for one night
stands, it just hooks on a door, no unpacking at all.

I had one of those, and in many ways I'd still prefer it -
trouble was, it was bulky, rather heavy even empty, and made
an additional case for sundries necessary.

mine has lots of side pockets and such like. As you say, it is
heavier than a standard case.
--
Mike Reid
Walk-eat-UK "http://www.fellwalk.co.uk" -- you can email us@ this site
Old July 19th, 2005, 12:46 PM
The Reids

Following up to EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)

Why not? (To all of the above.) Assuming you don't have
any other carry-on, like toiletries, and don't mind
scrunching a suitbag up in the overhead bin, you can carry
it on

it would fail the dimension tests, they might allow it on
reasonableness grounds, but many staff are not reasonable.
Old July 19th, 2005, 12:51 PM
Holly J. Sommer

wrote in message
ups.com...
Don't be cheap!

Just buy a business class ticket, then the cabin crew will hang it up
for you.

Economy is only for leisure travellers who don't mind being dressed
casually.

Are you serniously suggesting someone pay about twice their coach ticket
just to avoid some wrinkles? Man. I've got some "quality" stuff in boxes in
my garage here that I'd LOVE to sell to you at a 100% markup

How about the other side of the coin to "don't be cheap", which is "don't
overpay!" Cabin crews hang up garment bags regardless of class. Did you
think they are going to find out what aisle the guy is sitting in, and
decline if it's a double-digit number? LOL.

-Holly

Old July 19th, 2005, 02:06 PM
Andy Pandy

wrote in message
ups.com...
Don't be cheap!

Just buy a business class ticket, then the cabin crew will hang it up
for you.

Economy is only for leisure travellers who don't mind being dressed
casually.

For the price difference between economy and business you could probably buy a
designer suit at your destination and still have change left over.

--
Andy

Old July 20th, 2005, 10:18 AM
The Reids

Following up to Andy Pandy

Economy is only for leisure travellers who don't mind being dressed
casually.

For the price difference between economy and business you could probably buy a
designer suit at your destination and still have change left over.

that about sums it up!
Old July 21st, 2005, 05:09 AM
Mxsmanic

Bill McKee writes:

More than you think. I used to fly SFO to Honk Kong on business. 14.5 hrs,
and was amazed how many people got on in 3 piece suits.

How many of those people were Chinese?
Old July 21st, 2005, 05:10 AM
Mxsmanic

Icono Clast writes:

I wear a business suit for the flight. Ascot if daytime; necktie if
nighttime.

Why?