Poisonous animals in Mid-West?

Old May 15th, 2006, 11:09 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada

Default Poisonous animals in Mid-West?

"B Vaughan" wrote in message
On 14 May 2006 10:28:25 -0700, "Fiance" wrote:

He touched a rattlesnake while sitting on a boulder, with his arm
dangling by his side. Always have a look around before sitting down,
and definitely don't put your hands anywhere without looking.
Rattlesnakes are often found beside or under rocks when the air is
chilly, because stone retains warmth. If they have any advance
warning, they'll scurry away, but if you touch one when he's sleeping,
he'll react to protect himself.

Nevertheless, far and away, the most injuries and accidental deaths in
America are caused by automobiles. Or is it their drivers? ;-) KM
--
(-:alohacyberian:-) At my website there are 3600 live cameras or
visit NASA, the Vatican, the Smithsonian, the Louvre, CIA, FBI or

Old May 16th, 2006, 08:53 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada

"Hunt" wrote in message

As for the South, neither FL, nor TX are considered to be part of the
South,
regardless of their latitudes! Ah, those old traditions.

Are you suggesting that Texas is part of the wild west? ;-) KM

Old May 16th, 2006, 12:26 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada

Alohacyberian wrote:
"Hunt" wrote in message

As for the South, neither FL, nor TX are considered to be part of the
South,
regardless of their latitudes! Ah, those old traditions.

Are you suggesting that Texas is part of the wild west? ;-) KM

Fort Worth, Texas' motto: Where the West Begins.

George, a former resident

Old May 16th, 2006, 03:12 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada

Alohacyberian wrote:
"Hunt" wrote in message

As for the South, neither FL, nor TX are considered to be part of the
South,
regardless of their latitudes! Ah, those old traditions.

Are you suggesting that Texas is part of the wild west? ;-) KM

Certainly a part of Texas is in the wild west. It was the start for
most of the cattle drives for example. On the other hand a part of
Texas is the old south. Despite the disrespect for the soldiers from
Texas on the part of effete easterners they fought hard for the
Confederacy. Although they did have to hound Old Sam out of office
before they could manage to join. And kill off a fair number of folks
from Fredricksburg lest they join the union army. Unlike the folks in
eastern Tenn. it was a long way to safe territory.

Other parts of Texas have different looks. It is a very complicated state.
Old May 16th, 2006, 04:03 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada

Alohacyberian wrote:

Naw! Montana, Wyoming, Colorado, New Mexico, Idaho, Utah, Nevada and
Arizona are the Mountain west and Arizona and New Mexico are also the
Southwest. Oklahoma, Kansas, Nebraska and the Dakotas are definitely
Midwest. KM
--

All the states you list with the exception of OK are in the midwest:
http://www.emints.org/ethemes/resources/S00000399.shtml

Beverly - always lived in the midwest!

Old May 16th, 2006, 04:25 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada

Fiance wrote:
As funny as it may sound, is there any real danger posed by poisonous
animals when travelling in US Mid-West, e.g. Utah, Arizona, Nevada?

We will be camping near Grand Canyon North Rim - any chance of stepping
on rattle-snake? Or, say, what about hiking in Utah canyons or Monument
Valley etc?

What about other snakes, scorpions, spiders?

Don't worry since you won't be anywhere near the US Mid-west. The
snakes are more afraid of you than you are of them.

Old May 16th, 2006, 04:33 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada

"Fiance" wrote:
As funny as it may sound, is there any real danger posed by poisonous
animals when travelling in US West (corrected), e.g. Utah, Arizona, Nevada?
We will be camping near Grand Canyon North Rim - any chance of stepping

on rattle-snake? Or, say, what about hiking in Utah canyons or Monument
Valley etc? What about other snakes, scorpions, spiders?

OK, I may have contributed to your concern on this subject in an
earlier thread when I *jokingly* referred to the possibility of
rattlesnakes getting you on a hike out to Muley Point in Utah. So
perhaps I should add my two cents worth here.

Threads on dangerous desert critters are always interesting (there
have been many in rec.backcountry) but typically limited by each
poster's personal experience with such creatures (i.e. not much).

Having personally handled hundreds of such critters over many decades
in the region you are about to visit -- both in thousands of miles on
foot in the backcountry (as a hiker/backpacker/SAR worker) plus as a
volunteer with an organization that relocated reptiles (in order to
save them from being hacked to death with a shovel by some hysterical
citizen) -- perhaps I should add a few comments here.

Several people in this thread (Bill, Hunt, Frank, Craig, etc.) have
posted very good information on the possibility of dangers on your
upcoming trip. My guess would be your risk in near-zero. It *is*
possible, of course, to increase those odds if you try hard enough.

On rattlesnakes, which seem to be a large concern for you, understand
that you are unlikely to be fortunate enough to actually encounter
one. They do not prey on people, will do everything possible to avoid
a confrontation with a human, and will strike only as a last extreme
measure when they feel a deadly threat is imminent. Thus most bites
happen to people who are teasing them (think: young, drunk males),
trying to capture them, or being really ignorant about snake habits.

Rattlesnakes are good things: they limit the population of rodents
that carry diseases that *are* a threat to humans. Being cold-blooded
creatures, they seek out sunny spots on cold mornings, and cool spots
on hot afternoons. They often hunt at night because of their infrared
detection capabilities that their prey don't have. They can sense the
vibrations of approaching human feet from a long way, and if you get
too close they will usually rattle to warn you, but often times they
will just silently hide and hope you don't see them.

In cold weather they are very lethargic and may seem to be asleep. Of
course if you accidently sit on one, they will probably bite you in
the ass. Many (perhaps half) of rattlesnake bites are dry (little or
no venom is released). And even when envenomated, human deaths are
extremely rare. Antivenin is available throughout our area (although
quite expensive) so it is important to get to someone who can address
the issue if you are bitten. But avoiding that is actually quite easy.

You are unlikely to see a "buzztail" on the North Rim of the Grand
Canyon. On trails inside the canyon, your odds increase slightly (and
I have encountered a few either beside a trail under a bush or rock,
or actually on the trail itself in many years of hiking there). Just
watch where you step or reach, and listen as you walk.

But you have to keep the dangers in perspective: your odds of getting
seriously injured or killed are *vastly* greater while driving on our
roads, than when camping or hiking in the desert.

Not to worry.

Caveat

Old May 16th, 2006, 05:14 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada

Default What is the Mid-West?

wrote:
Alohacyberian wrote:

Naw! Montana, Wyoming, Colorado, New Mexico, Idaho, Utah, Nevada and
Arizona are the Mountain west and Arizona and New Mexico are also the
Southwest. Oklahoma, Kansas, Nebraska and the Dakotas are definitely
Midwest. KM
--

All the states you list with the exception of OK are in the midwest:
http://www.emints.org/ethemes/resources/S00000399.shtml

Beverly - always lived in the midwest!

An opinion but not a list that I would have chosen. I suspect that the
difference is how many separate regions you wish. What I would call the
'Great Plains' others call the midwest. Of course there are places like
Texas that simply cross too many boundaries to make sense in any scheme.