Ghost towns accessible without a high-clearance vehicle

Old June 7th, 2009, 06:05 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Lee Choquette

Default Ghost towns accessible without a high-clearance vehicle

I'm doing research for our summer vacation (yeah, I should have done
this a couple of months ago). To get to a family reunion we will be
driving across Washington, Idaho, and possibly western Montana.

Most of the ghost towns that I have found in this area mention that one
should have a high-clearance vehicle. We will not. In fact, we will be
pulling a small utility trailer as well.

Are there any ghost towns in this region with smooth, paved roads? Or
is easy access generally incompatible with preservation?

Thanks,
Lee
Old June 7th, 2009, 06:33 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Lawrence Akutagawa

"Lee Choquette Carrie Choquette"
wrote in message ...
I'm doing research for our summer vacation (yeah, I should have done
this a couple of months ago). To get to a family reunion we will be
driving across Washington, Idaho, and possibly western Montana.

Most of the ghost towns that I have found in this area mention that one
should have a high-clearance vehicle. We will not. In fact, we will be
pulling a small utility trailer as well.

Are there any ghost towns in this region with smooth, paved roads? Or
is easy access generally incompatible with preservation?

Well, Fort Steele is just about on the other side of the border in British
Columbia, Canada. Not exactly a ghost town per se in that it has been
refurbrished and otherwise maintained, but it does preserve the aura of that
period.

http://www.fortsteele.ca/

Old June 7th, 2009, 09:50 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Graham Harrison[_3_]

wrote in message ...
I'm doing research for our summer vacation (yeah, I should have done
this a couple of months ago). To get to a family reunion we will be
driving across Washington, Idaho, and possibly western Montana.

Most of the ghost towns that I have found in this area mention that one
should have a high-clearance vehicle. We will not. In fact, we will be
pulling a small utility trailer as well.

Are there any ghost towns in this region with smooth, paved roads? Or
is easy access generally incompatible with preservation?

Well, Fort Steele is just about on the other side of the border in British
Columbia, Canada. Not exactly a ghost town per se in that it has been
refurbrished and otherwise maintained, but it does preserve the aura of
that period.

http://www.fortsteele.ca/

Make sure you have your passport to cross the border.

Old June 7th, 2009, 10:33 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
James Silverton[_2_]

Lee wrote on Sun, 7 Jun 2009 17:05:10 +0000 (UTC):

Most of the ghost towns that I have found in this area mention
that one should have a high-clearance vehicle. We will not. In
fact, we will be pulling a small utility trailer as well.

Are there any ghost towns in this region with smooth, paved
roads? Or is easy access generally incompatible with
preservation?

It's perhaps further away than you contemplate but Virginia City in
Nevada can be visited with an ordinary car.

--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Old June 8th, 2009, 05:51 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Alohacyberian

"James Silverton" wrote in message
Lee wrote on Sun, 7 Jun 2009 17:05:10 +0000 (UTC):

Most of the ghost towns that I have found in this area mention
that one should have a high-clearance vehicle. We will not. In
fact, we will be pulling a small utility trailer as well.

Are there any ghost towns in this region with smooth, paved
roads? Or is easy access generally incompatible with
preservation?

It's perhaps further away than you contemplate but Virginia City in Nevada
can be visited with an ordinary car.

True, but, it isn't really a true ghost town. Most of the residents aren't
ghosts, yet. :-) KM
--
(-:alohacyberian:-) At my website view over 3,600 live cameras or
visit NASA, the Vatican, the Smithsonian, the Louvre, CIA, FBI, and

Old June 8th, 2009, 07:03 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Daniel Masse

"Lee Choquette Carrie Choquette" a
écrit dans le message de news: ...
I'm doing research for our summer vacation (yeah, I should have done
this a couple of months ago). To get to a family reunion we will be
driving across Washington, Idaho, and possibly western Montana.

Most of the ghost towns that I have found in this area mention that one
should have a high-clearance vehicle. We will not. In fact, we will be
pulling a small utility trailer as well.

Are there any ghost towns in this region with smooth, paved roads? Or
is easy access generally incompatible with preservation?

I went to Bodie in January, with a standard car. The last 2 miles are not
paved (and there was even some snow at that time of the year) but I had no
problem at all. I made a short show with the pictures I took on that trip :
it may be downloaded here : http://masse.alpes.org/bodie3.exe (sorry... the
comments are in French...)

Old June 8th, 2009, 09:36 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
[email protected]

On Jun 7, 6:05*pm, Lee Choquette Carrie Choquette
wrote:
To get to a family reunion we will be driving across Washington, Idaho, and possibly western Montana.

There are several ghost towns in Idaho, all reasonably close to each
other. These are Bayhorse, Skylark, Ramshorn and Custer. Custer is
within the the Land of the Yankee Fork State Park. All are accessed
along dirt roads, but are fine with an ordinary saloon.

We've visited them in the past when using an itinerary from
itforit.com I see that their itineraries are on free offer at the
moment, so I suggest you download the "Geysers & Glaciers" itinerary,
and then look at Day 13. We've tried many of their itineraries, and
found them all very well presented, helpful and accurate (but we paid
for ours, and now they're free!).

Clive
Old June 8th, 2009, 09:51 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
JamesStep

The last 2 miles are not paved (and there was even
some snow at that time of the year) but I had no
problem at all.

But even if the road is in good shape, I'd suggest using caution if
there's rain in the forecast. Some dirt roads can get slippery or
muddy very quickly in the rain.

James