Hawaii Whale Watch Trip Planning Help

Old June 22nd, 2009, 12:41 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
cacheandleave

Default Hawaii Whale Watch Trip Planning Help

Looking to plan a Hawaii trip this winter.
Specifically looking to hear experiences on choosing a whale watching
tour (humpback only); when, where (which island), what company. etc
Have seen the whales in Gustavus, AK in the summer.

Also, any other things I don't know enough to ask about.

TIA
Old June 22nd, 2009, 06:49 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Graham Harrison[_3_]

"cacheandleave" wrote in message
Looking to plan a Hawaii trip this winter.
Specifically looking to hear experiences on choosing a whale watching
tour (humpback only); when, where (which island), what company. etc
Have seen the whales in Gustavus, AK in the summer.

Also, any other things I don't know enough to ask about.

TIA

Don't go to Hawaii! Two alternatives - Kaikoura in New Zealand or the
Peninsula Valdes in Argentina.

Old June 22nd, 2009, 10:07 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
PeterL

On Jun 21, 10:49*pm, "Graham Harrison"
wrote:
"cacheandleave" wrote in message

Looking to plan a Hawaii trip this winter.
Specifically looking to hear experiences on choosing a whale watching
tour (humpback only); when, where (which island), what company. etc
Have seen the whales in Gustavus, AK in the summer.

Also, any other things I don't know enough to ask about.

TIA

Don't go to Hawaii! * Two alternatives - Kaikoura in New Zealand or the
Peninsula Valdes in Argentina.

OP is going to Hawaii with a whale watching trip thrown in. I doubt
that OP is looking just for the best whale watching anywhere on the
planet.
Old June 22nd, 2009, 10:07 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Graham Harrison[_3_]

wrote:
"cacheandleave" wrote in message

Looking to plan a Hawaii trip this winter.
Specifically looking to hear experiences on choosing a whale watching
tour (humpback only); when, where (which island), what company. etc
Have seen the whales in Gustavus, AK in the summer.

Also, any other things I don't know enough to ask about.

TIA

Don't go to Hawaii! Two alternatives - Kaikoura in New Zealand or the
Peninsula Valdes in Argentina.

Why?

Peninsular Valdes is home to not only the whales but penguins, armadillos,
sea lions, seals, a form of ostrich and a rabbit like creature I forget the
name of (oh and sheep coming out of your ears). Argentina is a fascinating
country; when we went as well as Valdes we went to Salta in the Andes and
the Iguassu Falls (forget Niagara).

New Zealand has some beautiful scenery - fly to Christchurch, take the train
across the island (through the Southern Alps) to Greymouth then go down the
west coast of South Island and you pass two glaciers then get into Fjord
country (although they give them names like Doubtful *Sound* rather than
Doubtful Fjord). Go to the very south and across to Stewart Island and
then on to Ulva Island which has a concentration of native birds in
particular in native forest. Then come up the east coast through the
Catlins and if you're lucky you'll find Yellow Eyed Penguins. The Otago
Peninsular outside Dunedin has an Albatross colony and more Penguins. On
up the coast Oamaru has a Little Blue Penguin colony. Kaikoura itself is
on the east coast north of Christchurch.

If you're an experienced traveller, used to looking after yourself and
prepared to travel distance by air as well as car go to Argentina. If you
want a more relaxed trip New Zealand.

Old June 22nd, 2009, 10:51 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
James Silverton[_2_]

Graham wrote on Mon, 22 Jun 2009 06:49:33 +0100:

"cacheandleave" wrote in message
Looking to plan a Hawaii trip this winter.
Specifically looking to hear experiences on choosing a whale watching
tour (humpback only); when, where (which island),
what company. etc Have seen the whales in Gustavus, AK in the
summer.

Also, any other things I don't know enough to ask about.

TIA

We certainly had a successful whale watching trip while staying on Maui
at Napili Bay in the winter. I think the trip used a Zodiac boat and
left from Lahaina. We booked the trip a day or two in advance. I forget
exactly when the whales arrive.

--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland