Avoid Delta and Atlanta

Old July 22nd, 2006, 08:18 PM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.travel.europe,soc.culture.british,soc.culture.usa,alt.politics.bush
Mxsmanic

Default Draconian vacation policies for US slave workers

JohnT writes:

Forgive me for using a technical expression here, but that is a load of
crap.

Not to worry: a single emotional expression against a paragraph of
fact isn't much of a contest.

Old July 22nd, 2006, 09:27 PM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.travel.europe,soc.culture.british,soc.culture.usa,alt.politics.bush
Dave Frightens Me

On Sat, 22 Jul 2006 21:17:40 +0200, Mxsmanic
wrote:

Dave Frightens Me writes:

No building produces heat.

All buildings produce heat, from lights, office machines, the people
inside, and so on.

The buiding produces nothing. Everything else can be controlled.

You left. That suggests you didn't learn a thing.

On the contrary, I learned that a hellhole with air conditioning is
still a hellhole, and I decided to move somewhere where I don't have
to spend nine months of the year indoors.

I think you spend that much now indoors anyway.
--
---
DFM - http://www.deepfriedmars.com
Old July 22nd, 2006, 09:27 PM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.travel.europe,soc.culture.british,soc.culture.usa,alt.politics.bush
Dave Frightens Me

On Sat, 22 Jul 2006 21:18:38 +0200, Mxsmanic
wrote:

JohnT writes:

Forgive me for using a technical expression here, but that is a load of
crap.

Not to worry: a single emotional expression against a paragraph of
fact isn't much of a contest.

It's not a bad summation though. Can you counter it?
--
---
Old July 22nd, 2006, 11:39 PM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.travel.europe,soc.culture.british,soc.culture.usa,alt.politics.bush
Mxsmanic

Dave Frightens Me writes:

The buiding produces nothing. Everything else can be controlled.

Controlling it doesn't prevent it from producing heat. Any building
other than a completely abandoned building generates heat, and that
heat must be removed.

If a building is perfectly insulated, it will heat up until it melts.
If it is merely very well insulated, it might be able to do without
any heating system, even in the coldest winters. But it will always
need air conditioning, _especially_ if it is well insulated.

I think you spend that much now indoors anyway.

It's getting to be hot nine months of the year where I live
now--something I never expected even in my wildest nightmares.

Old July 22nd, 2006, 11:39 PM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.travel.europe,soc.culture.british,soc.culture.usa,alt.politics.bush
Mxsmanic

Dave Frightens Me writes:

It's not a bad summation though. Can you counter it?

I don't use emotional arguments in my discussions.

Old July 23rd, 2006, 01:18 AM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.travel.europe,soc.culture.british,soc.culture.usa,alt.politics.bush
mrtravel[_1_]

Mxsmanic wrote:

Iceman writes:

Heating is a necessity. Air conditioning is a luxury.

Just as heating is a necessity when the temperature is 4° C, A/C is a
necessity when the temperature is 36° C.

In fact, however, A/C is more necessary than heating, because it is
possible to diminish the need for heating by dressing warmly and
simply conserving body heat; whereas the need for cooling cannot be
diminished by any type of dress, since the human body generates heat
constantly, which must be removed.

How did the world manage before A/C?
Old July 23rd, 2006, 01:22 AM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.travel.europe,soc.culture.british,soc.culture.usa,alt.politics.bush
mrtravel[_1_]

Mxsmanic wrote:

Dave Frightens Me writes:

You are grossly over simplifying things.

No, I'm not. That's what it boils down to, and that's what people
don't understand.

There are many means of dealing with heat other than air-con.

The only way to remove heat is with refrigeration. The only way to
remove cold is with heating.

The fundamental difference between the two is that buildings and
people produce heat continuously, which must be removed, no matter
what the weather is like. This means that you can keep people warm
just by insulating them, but you cannot keep them cool without some
form of active cooling. You can survive without any type of heating
even at -80° C if you are wearing the right clothing, but you cannot
survive for more than a few minutes at +80° C unless you have active
cooling systems to remove heat.

What part of the world population needs the ability to survive at +80C
or +176 F?

Old July 23rd, 2006, 02:16 AM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.travel.europe,soc.culture.british,soc.culture.usa,alt.politics.bush
Mxsmanic

mrtravel writes:

What part of the world population needs the ability to survive at +80C
or +176 F?

I was giving an equivalent in heat for a temperature of -80° C. I was
being conservative, though, since -80° C is about 100° below optimum,
so the real equivalent in heat would be 120° C. No part of the planet
gets much above 57° C, although a great many areas regularly approach
that temperature. This is good, since it is much harder for human
beings to deal with heat than it is for them to deal with cold.

Old July 23rd, 2006, 02:17 AM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.travel.europe,soc.culture.british,soc.culture.usa,alt.politics.bush
Mxsmanic

mrtravel writes:

How did the world manage before A/C?

By dramatically limiting human activity during hot weather. In hot
climates without A/C, for example, human activity may come to a near
or total standstill during the day. It is not possible to maintain
the pace and activity of modern developed countries in hot weather
without air conditioning.

Old July 23rd, 2006, 09:24 AM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.travel.europe,soc.culture.british,soc.culture.usa,alt.politics.bush
Tchiowa

The Reid wrote:
Following up to Tchiowa

Global warming has been going on for thousands of years. Species loss
is no greater than any other time in history and is offset by species
gain. Oil reserves will last at least another century by which time we
can easily have alternate energy sources (if the environmental nuts
will allow it, that is).

So where is your warning?

stop belieng fairy tales?

Which are you labelling a fairy tale? Weren't you aware that global
warming has been going on for over 10,000 years? They didn't teach you
about the ice age in school? Species loss, is that it? Species loss is
no higher now than it has ever been. Lower than in some cases. Didn't
study the periodic "dyings" that the earth goes through where 90% of
the species vanish in a fairly short period of time. Oil reserves? We
have more proven oil reserves now than we had the last time that the
Left informed us we were almost outl.

So which one is a fairy tale?