Avoid Delta and Atlanta

Old July 29th, 2006, 08:46 AM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.travel.europe,soc.culture.british,soc.culture.usa,alt.politics.bush
Mxsmanic

Default Draconian vacation policies for US slave workers

Dave Frightens Me writes:

Why are exact numbers important?

Because throwing flu and pneumonia into the mix creates the impression
that the cold is responsible for these deaths, when it isn't.

Death from cold is hypothermia, not flu or pneumonia.

Old July 29th, 2006, 08:53 AM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.travel.europe,soc.culture.british,soc.culture.usa,alt.politics.bush
Mxsmanic

Default Heating, cooling, and popular delusions and manias

Keith Willshaw writes:

That rather depends on what is being farmed but sounds flat wrong
to me. Residential districts use LARGE amounts of water. Plants
dont take showers and flush the loo several times a day.

No, it's correct. One reason that areas like Phoenix have not run low
on water as farmland has been converted to urban uses is that the
latter require far less water. For example, Tempe and Mesa (eastern
suburbs of Phoenix) are in the service area of the Salt River Project,
and are entitled to water from the Project in relation to their
surface area. The surface area occupied by the urbanization of these
suburbs provides more than enough water allocation for all the urban
uses, since it was originally intended as an agricultural allocation,
which requires far more water. Thus, the more the cities urbanize,
the less water they use.

Old July 29th, 2006, 08:54 AM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.travel.europe,soc.culture.british,soc.culture.usa,alt.politics.bush
Mxsmanic

Keith W writes:

Unless they are growing rice that sounds unlikely.

It is routine. Growing plants requires water. Growing lots of plants
requires lots of water. Growing lots of big plants to eat requires
the most water of all.

Old July 29th, 2006, 08:54 AM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.travel.europe,soc.culture.british,soc.culture.usa,alt.politics.bush
Mxsmanic

Hatunen writes:

The Colorado River.

And what's wrong with the Colorado River? What treatment does the
water receive on arrival?

Old July 29th, 2006, 09:13 AM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.travel.europe,soc.culture.british,soc.culture.usa,alt.politics.bush
JohnT[_1_]

"Mxsmanic" wrote in message
Keith Willshaw writes:

You didnt specify hypothermia

Hypothermia is the technical term for death from cold, which I did
specify.

No, it is not. Hypothermia is an abnormally low body temperature, which in
some cases may result in death. As may influenza, or even a cold. Please
desist from posting on subjects about which you have little or no knowledge.
Which includes nearly everything. Unless, of course, you are genuinely
seeking information: but I admit that is unlikely.

JohnT

Old July 29th, 2006, 09:38 AM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.travel.europe,soc.culture.british,soc.culture.usa,alt.politics.bush
Mxsmanic

JohnT writes:

No, it is not. Hypothermia is an abnormally low body temperature, which in
some cases may result in death.

Low = cold

As may influenza, or even a cold.

Neither of these is associated with low temperatures.

Old July 29th, 2006, 09:52 AM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.travel.europe,soc.culture.british,soc.culture.usa,alt.politics.bush
JohnT[_1_]

"Mxsmanic" wrote in message
JohnT writes:

No, it is not. Hypothermia is an abnormally low body temperature, which
in
some cases may result in death.

Low = cold

As may influenza, or even a cold.

Neither of these is associated with low temperatures.

But, as I said, either may result in death. I didn't suggest an association
with low temperatures. Dim Mixi.

johnT

Old July 29th, 2006, 10:48 AM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.travel.europe,soc.culture.british,soc.culture.usa,alt.politics.bush
Mxsmanic

JohnT writes:

But, as I said, either may result in death. I didn't suggest an association
with low temperatures.

But others did, and attempted to present cold and flu deaths as "death
from cold temperatures."

Old July 29th, 2006, 11:24 AM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.travel.europe,soc.culture.british,soc.culture.usa,alt.politics.bush
Keith W[_2_]

"Mxsmanic" wrote in message
news
Keith W writes:

Unless they are growing rice that sounds unlikely.

It is routine. Growing plants requires water.

As do the golf courses that Phoenix residents love so much

Keith

Old July 29th, 2006, 12:46 PM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.travel.europe,soc.culture.british,soc.culture.usa,alt.politics.bush
Dave Frightens Me

On Sat, 29 Jul 2006 09:46:28 +0200, Mxsmanic
wrote:

Dave Frightens Me writes:

Why are exact numbers important?

Because throwing flu and pneumonia into the mix creates the impression
that the cold is responsible for these deaths, when it isn't.

Death from cold is hypothermia, not flu or pneumonia.

If the cold directly causes the death (i.e., the flu or pneumonia
wouldn't have killed them with the cold), then it is.
--
---
DFM - http://www.deepfriedmars.com