Avoid Delta and Atlanta

Old August 13th, 2006, 01:46 PM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.travel.europe,soc.culture.british,soc.culture.usa,alt.politics.bush
Mxsmanic

Default Draconian vacation policies for US slave workers

Jim Ley writes:

It's getting near impossible to find anyone with a watch
these days, it's another thing the mobile phone has killed.

I'm not sure I see the connection. How have mobile phones killed
watches?

Old August 13th, 2006, 02:31 PM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.travel.europe,soc.culture.british,soc.culture.usa,alt.politics.bush
Jim Ley

On Sun, 13 Aug 2006 14:46:43 +0200, Mxsmanic
wrote:

Jim Ley writes:

It's getting near impossible to find anyone with a watch
these days, it's another thing the mobile phone has killed.

I'm not sure I see the connection. How have mobile phones killed
watches?

because it's a device you carry with you that tells you the time,
exactly the function of a watch, so you could carry 2 devices, or you
could just carry one, most people choose to just carry 1 IME.

Jim.
Old August 13th, 2006, 02:41 PM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.travel.europe,soc.culture.british,soc.culture.usa,alt.politics.bush
ant[_3_]

Mxsmanic wrote:
Jim Ley writes:

It's getting near impossible to find anyone with a watch
these days, it's another thing the mobile phone has killed.

I'm not sure I see the connection. How have mobile phones killed
watches?

Apparently (and this still surprises me) mobiles have replaced the old fob
watches. People actually pull them out and look at them to ascertain the
time, rather than looking at their wrist. I have NO idea why.

--
ant

Old August 13th, 2006, 03:32 PM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.travel.europe,soc.culture.british,soc.culture.usa,alt.politics.bush
Miguel Cruz

"ant" wrote:
Apparently (and this still surprises me) mobiles have replaced the old fob
watches. People actually pull them out and look at them to ascertain the
time, rather than looking at their wrist. I have NO idea why.

The functions performed by a mobile phone are a superset of those
performed by a watch (i.e., phones do everything watches do, and a whole
lot more). So the case for carrying a phone is much more compelling than
for a watch. And the case for carrying both is diminished.

miguel
--
Photos from 40 countries on 5 continents: http://travel.u.nu
Latest photos: Malaysia; Thailand; Singapore; Spain; Morocco
Old August 13th, 2006, 03:46 PM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.travel.europe,soc.culture.british,soc.culture.usa,alt.politics.bush
Mxsmanic

Miguel Cruz writes:

The functions performed by a mobile phone are a superset of those
performed by a watch (i.e., phones do everything watches do, and a whole
lot more). So the case for carrying a phone is much more compelling than
for a watch. And the case for carrying both is diminished.

I use my watch much more than I use a phone, so I continue to carry a
watch. Also, the watch is accurate, whereas the time on the cellphone
is not.

Old August 13th, 2006, 03:52 PM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.travel.europe,soc.culture.british,soc.culture.usa,alt.politics.bush
JohnT[_1_]

"Miguel Cruz" wrote in message
"ant" wrote:
Apparently (and this still surprises me) mobiles have replaced the old
fob
watches. People actually pull them out and look at them to ascertain the
time, rather than looking at their wrist. I have NO idea why.

The functions performed by a mobile phone are a superset of those
performed by a watch (i.e., phones do everything watches do, and a whole
lot more). So the case for carrying a phone is much more compelling than
for a watch. And the case for carrying both is diminished.

I don't need a mobile phone so I carry one very rarely. I do wear a watch
when I go out.

JohnT

Old August 13th, 2006, 04:15 PM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.travel.europe,soc.culture.british,soc.culture.usa,alt.politics.bush
Mxsmanic

Jim Ley writes:

because it's a device you carry with you that tells you the time,
exactly the function of a watch ...

But it's in your pocket. Wris****ches were invented to eliminate the
inconvenience of pocket watches.

Old August 13th, 2006, 04:16 PM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.travel.europe,soc.culture.british,soc.culture.usa,alt.politics.bush
Mxsmanic

ant writes:

Apparently (and this still surprises me) mobiles have replaced the old fob
watches. People actually pull them out and look at them to ascertain the
time, rather than looking at their wrist. I have NO idea why.

That seems very inefficient. Fob watches disappeared in favor of
wris****ches precisely because they were inefficient in this way.

Old August 13th, 2006, 04:37 PM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.travel.europe,soc.culture.british,soc.culture.usa,alt.politics.bush
Sarah Banick

"The Reid" wrote in message
Following up to Sarah Banick

The fact that Europe is Balkanized

LOL
--
Mike Reid
I will agree bendybuses are a good idea when they build bungalows on

Hey, watch your attributions. I know that it's only the Balkans that are
balkanized (they are mountained?)

Old August 13th, 2006, 04:42 PM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.travel.europe,soc.culture.british,soc.culture.usa,alt.politics.bush
Jim Ley

On Sun, 13 Aug 2006 17:15:31 +0200, Mxsmanic
wrote:

Jim Ley writes:

because it's a device you carry with you that tells you the time,
exactly the function of a watch ...

But it's in your pocket.

So? you need to know the time irregularly, and if you're impatiently
waiting for something then just keep the phone outside.

Wris****ches were invented to eliminate the
inconvenience of pocket watches.

You're assuming the inconvenience was the getting it out of the
pocket, rather than the remembering to carry, transfer between
clothes, risk of losing etc. Of course you have all those things with
the phone too, but it has other useful functions so you're prepared to
go with it.

Jim.