Shimba Hills National Park

Old January 18th, 2006, 04:58 PM posted to rec.travel.africa

Default Shimba Hills National Park

In message , Rydale
writes
Hi all

I'm hoping to sneak back to Kenya next month for a week (annual Africa 'fix'
required..)
Probably going back to Diani for some R&R, and hoping to go to the Shimba
Hills park up the road.

Has anyone got any useful info or experiences of this park?
In particular, what's the best way to arrange a couple of days there?

I know all (?) the hotels on the beach will arrange trips, but I'm sure I
can do better booking ahead.
Is it better to stay in the lodge, or camping?
Any tips?

Thanks for any info.

Charles

Hi Charles,
Good to hear you are going to Diani,I hope you have a great trip, are
you going to visit the Colobus Trust?
Shimba Hills lodge is not very big and it is high season so I`d try to
book soon. Have you checked out Lets Go travel in Nairobi? They have a
good website and are very reliable, or you could go to Block Hotels
website and check availability there. Enjoy yourself!
Pat.
--
Pat Anderson
Old January 18th, 2006, 07:09 PM posted to rec.travel.africa

Hi Pat

Ah if only it were as simple as it should be...
Of course its high season there -I thought I would get a cheap deal in
February....

The blockhotels website (www.blockhotelske.com) only covers Nyali Beach,
Lake Naivasha and Lake Baringo, so not much good for me! Maybe they've the
Shimba lodge to someone else recently?
Can't find a reference to it belonging to anyone else though.

I've dropped a note to Lets Go - thanks for the tip.

It may not happen, but I hope I can get there
The Colobus Trust is one of the reasons I'm going - I need to transport a
few things over to Pam there.

Cheers

Charles

Old January 18th, 2006, 11:52 PM posted to rec.travel.africa

Hi Charles,
I`m sure Lets Go will help you, I wonder if Block have ceased managing
Shimba Hills? Block have reduced the number of hotels and lodges in
their name considerably over the years, when we left Kenya finally in
1987 after my husband finished his work there I went into Block hotels
in Nairobi and booked us into The Outspan hotel, Lake Naivasha,
Samburu lodge, Nyali Beach hotel, Sindbad hotel, Malindi, the Aberdare
Country Club, we had five weeks in these hotels before leaving Kenya,
since then things have changed and many properties are no longer Block
hotels. Out of interest I could contact them and ask.
I hope you can work something out.
Best wishes,
Pat.

In message , Rydale
writes

Old January 19th, 2006, 01:15 AM posted to rec.travel.africa

In message
Pat Anderson wrote:

Hi Charles,
I`m sure Lets Go will help you, I wonder if Block have ceased managing
Shimba Hills? Block have reduced the number of hotels and lodges in
their name considerably over the years, when we left Kenya finally in
1987 after my husband finished his work there I went into Block hotels
in Nairobi and booked us into The Outspan hotel, Lake Naivasha,
Samburu lodge, Nyali Beach hotel, Sindbad hotel, Malindi, the Aberdare
Country Club, we had five weeks in these hotels before leaving Kenya,
since then things have changed and many properties are no longer Block
hotels. Out of interest I could contact them and ask.

It does seem to be a mystery.
I did a ten-minute Google and couldn't see any ownership information.
One site seemed to imply that it was owned by Comfort Inns, but when I
clicked through to the Comfort Inns link, I couldn't find it.

I did, however, find an American site, whose catchphrase is,
apparently 'integrity in travel' who are using an image which I'm
99.9% certain is mine, without permission. (They could have stolen a
better one, shirley?) I have the original 35mm slide!

Oh, BTW, thanks for the spider info. There's also a poisonous
centipede or millipede, but I now can't remember if it's the 'Mombasa
Express', which I saw on my first safari. My brain is gong to mush: I
can't remember if it's seriously poisonous to us or just to birds.
Hans-Georg?

Slainte

Liz

--
Virtual Liz: http://www.v-liz.com
Kenya; Tanzania; Namibia; India; Seychelles; Galapagos
Old January 19th, 2006, 04:21 PM posted to rec.travel.africa

In message , Pat Anderson
Charles,
I`ve tried to write to Block at their website and despite giving all
requested info. All I get is an error notice--- sorry!
Pat.

writes

Old January 19th, 2006, 05:57 PM posted to rec.travel.africa

Charles,

Take a look at this link:

http://www.africapoint.com/hotels/hotel.asp?hotelid=73

Pat

In message , Pat Anderson
writes

Old January 19th, 2006, 10:50 PM posted to rec.travel.africa

Thanks all for your help.
I'm not sure I believe the Shimba lodge is 5 star - but hey, who's counting!

I'm booked up for flights, and just waiting for a local agent chap to
confirm the Shimba hills (3 nights) and Diani Sea lodge (not great, but the
sunshine and beach is the same) for 4.

Should be there on 6th Feb - hooray!

I'll let you know what I find out about Shimba.

Rgds

Old January 20th, 2006, 10:28 AM posted to rec.travel.africa

On Thu, 19 Jan 2006 00:15:28 GMT, Liz wrote:

Oh, BTW, thanks for the spider info. There's also a poisonous
centipede or millipede, but I now can't remember if it's the 'Mombasa
Express', which I saw on my first safari. My brain is gong to mush: I
can't remember if it's seriously poisonous to us or just to birds.
Hans-Georg?

Liz,

I know it as "Mombasa train". I don't know whether it is
poisonous, but almost certainly not for us humans.

Normally millipedes aren't significantly poisonous, but
centipedes are.

Pictures: http://images.google.com/images?q=millipede+african

Hans-Georg

--
No mail, please.
Old January 20th, 2006, 09:43 PM posted to rec.travel.africa

I saw a number of these guys at Diani. We kept a distance, probably more out
of 'respect' than fear of any specific danger.
I hadn't heard the term 'Mombasa train' before, but its very fitting.

This was one of ours! (no scale unfortunately)

http://www.tomalin.org/img_4644.jpg

Charles

Old January 20th, 2006, 11:35 PM posted to rec.travel.africa

Charles,
Diani Sea Lodge should be fine. I hope all your plans work out and you
have a great time.
Have you been to: http://www.kenyabeach.com there is some info. on
Diani as well as Mombasa and Malindi. I read the Kenya news online and
tourism seems to be up again after a long time in the doldrums. For the
coast I read Coastweek which comes out weekly on Friday but isn`t
usually online till Saturday. http://www.coastweek.com/
Pat.

n message , Rydale
writes