Travelling with laptop in Italy

Old July 13th, 2006, 03:54 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
William Daffer

Default Travelling with laptop in Italy

I'm planning a trip to Italy (Florence for 1 week, then into the
countryside for a week) and was thinking of taking my laptop. What is
the consensus on the advisability of traveling in Italy with an
expensive gadget. Do most hotels have places to lock such things up
in the room? In the Hotel?

Will I have to live in fear of the cut-purse snatching my backpack?

How about when in B&B/Agriturismo's in the countryside? How safe are
they to leave things while I check out the local chianti?

whd
--
MAUSOLEUM, n. The final and funniest folly of the rich.
-- Ambrose Bierce: _The Devil's Dictionary_
Old July 13th, 2006, 07:04 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Gregory Morrow[_1_]

gRunge wrote:

No problem you won't get mugged at every corner, this is not the USA.
Most hotels will give you the possibility to lock it up.
People in Italy do have laptops and much more !

Sure, the "much more" includes no window screens, no air - con, no hot
water, trains don't run on time, etc., etc....

--
Best
Greg

Old July 13th, 2006, 09:27 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
B Vaughan

On Wed, 12 Jul 2006 19:54:58 -0700, William Daffer
wrote:

I'm planning a trip to Italy (Florence for 1 week, then into the
countryside for a week) and was thinking of taking my laptop. What is
the consensus on the advisability of traveling in Italy with an
expensive gadget. Do most hotels have places to lock such things up
in the room? In the Hotel?

Most moderately priced hotels have no room safes, and the room safes
I've seen are rather small, just the right size for stashing your
diamonds. However, I've never had anything stolen from a hotel room in
Italy.

More important, though, is the inconvenience of lugging a laptop. What
do you want it for? If it's for checking email occasionally, you will
find enough internet cafes to check in every day or so. If it's for
downloading photos, there are smaller and more convenient solutions. I
recently bought a Palm Life Drive which has a 4 gigbyte hard drive and
a camera card slot. It also functions as an mp3 player and has wifi
for connecting to the internet, although finding a wifi zone will not
be easy in Italy.

Will I have to live in fear of the cut-purse snatching my backpack?

How about when in B&B/Agriturismo's in the countryside? How safe are
they to leave things while I check out the local chianti?

whd

--
Barbara Vaughan
My email address is my first initial followed by my surname at libero dot it
Old July 13th, 2006, 12:24 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Donald Newcomb

"William Daffer" wrote in message

I'm planning a trip to Italy (Florence for 1 week, then into the
countryside for a week) and was thinking of taking my laptop. What is
the consensus on the advisability of traveling in Italy with an
expensive gadget. Do most hotels have places to lock such things up
in the room? In the Hotel?

I've traveled with a laptop but my trick is that I carry a Tiger Direct
"recertified" cheapie ($300) 6 year-old IBM Thinkpad. If it does get stolen
I don't have to kill myself over it. It does everything I need a laptop to
do and I don't worry about babying it. BTW, if you want wireless (cellular)
access in Italy look into Wind's Mega-No-Limit data option. They used to
have a true unlimited wireless Internet option but not since they
implemented 3G service.

--
Donald R. Newcomb
DRNewcomb (at) attglobal (dot) net

Old July 13th, 2006, 12:36 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Kinetic

No problem you won't get mugged at every corner, this is not the USA.

This might have been true in the USA of 1990, but it's certainly not
true of today's USA, which is in fact a lot safer than Western Europe.
Maybe there are more criminals in the USA, but don't forget that their
prison population per capita is about 10 times as high as in Europe, so
the criminals aren't on the street.

Old July 13th, 2006, 12:55 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Dave Frightens Me

On 13 Jul 2006 04:36:22 -0700, "Kinetic" wrote:

No problem you won't get mugged at every corner, this is not the USA.

This might have been true in the USA of 1990, but it's certainly not
true of today's USA, which is in fact a lot safer than Western Europe.

That's rubbish.

Maybe there are more criminals in the USA, but don't forget that their
prison population per capita is about 10 times as high as in Europe, so
the criminals aren't on the street.

You must be so proud.
--
---
DFM - http://www.deepfriedmars.com
Old July 13th, 2006, 01:05 PM posted to rec.travel.europe

Dave Frightens Me wrote:

On 13 Jul 2006 04:36:22 -0700, "Kinetic" wrote:

No problem you won't get mugged at every corner, this is not the USA.

This might have been true in the USA of 1990, but it's certainly not
true of today's USA, which is in fact a lot safer than Western Europe.

That's rubbish.

Not quite. While the US still has a high murder rate, overall crime in
tourist areas is generally very low. If you looked into statistics for
crime against tourists (which I suppose is more relevant to this group)
you'd find that Western European cities probably had a higher rate in
general.

--
David Horne- http://www.davidhorne.net
http://homepage.mac.com/davidhornecomposer http://soundjunction.org
Old July 13th, 2006, 02:43 PM posted to rec.travel.europe

Dave Frightens Me wrote:

On Thu, 13 Jul 2006 13:05:09 +0100,
(David Horne, _the_ chancellor of the duchy of besses o' th' barn and
prestwich tesco 24h offy) wrote:

Dave Frightens Me wrote:

On 13 Jul 2006 04:36:22 -0700, "Kinetic" wrote:

No problem you won't get mugged at every corner, this is not the USA.

This might have been true in the USA of 1990, but it's certainly not
true of today's USA, which is in fact a lot safer than Western Europe.

That's rubbish.

Not quite. While the US still has a high murder rate, overall crime in
tourist areas is generally very low. If you looked into statistics for
crime against tourists (which I suppose is more relevant to this group)
you'd find that Western European cities probably had a higher rate in
general.

But we are talking about safety, not crime.

I don't think it makes a difference. The places where foreign tourists
go in the US are generally very safe, low rates of muggings, violent
assault etc. The murder rate very rarely impacts on tourists.