Film Cameras in Checked Luggage

Old August 13th, 2006, 05:26 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.africa,rec.travel.asia,rec.travel.air,rec.travel.australia+nz
Larry in Berkeley

Default Film Cameras in Checked Luggage

If you are travelling by air with a film camera, don't forget that now
all airlines require cameras to be in checked luggage, not carried on
board. It is absolutely essential to have the film (and the camera
containing film) in a lead pouch. Otherwise, many strong x-rays used
for checked luggage will fry all your film.

Camera stores have or can get the lead pouches.

On my last trip, I had some instant coffee in a plastic container with
a small silver-plated spoon. One of the x-ray machines was so strong
that it melted and solidified all the coffee! Not exactly film safe!

Larry in Berkeley, California

Old August 13th, 2006, 05:56 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.africa,rec.travel.asia,rec.travel.air,rec.travel.australia+nz
James Robinson

"Larry in Berkeley" wrote:

If you are travelling by air with a film camera, don't forget that now
all airlines require cameras to be in checked luggage, not carried on
board.

You can still carry cameras aboard on flights originating in the USA. The
only place in the world that restricts you are flights originating in the
UK.

It is absolutely essential to have the film (and the camera
containing film) in a lead pouch. Otherwise, many strong x-rays used
for checked luggage will fry all your film.

Camera stores have or can get the lead pouches.

Lead pouches are not thick enough to protect your film from the x-ray
machines used to inspect checked baggage. They can use much higher levels
of x-rays than the machines used to inspect carry-on bags.

One of the bag manufacturers (Domke) did a test, and concluded that a lead
bag that was thick enough to provide protection for film in checked baggage
would too heavy to be practical for passengers to carry.

Old August 13th, 2006, 06:01 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.africa,rec.travel.asia,rec.travel.air,rec.travel.australia+nz
sharkbait999

Larry wrote:

If you are travelling by air with a film camera, don't forget that now
all airlines require cameras to be in checked luggage, not carried on
board.

I think your blanket statement is not founded on fact, For example, the AA
website places a restriction on electronic devices carried on only on UK to
US flights - nowhere else. What airlines support your claim. Further, I
would further add that a "film" camera is no more an electronic device than
a wallet once you remove the batteries.

rg

Old August 13th, 2006, 10:49 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.africa,rec.travel.asia,rec.travel.air,rec.travel.australia+nz
EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)

Larry in Berkeley wrote:

On my last trip, I had some instant coffee in a plastic container with
a small silver-plated spoon. One of the x-ray machines was so strong
that it melted and solidified all the coffee! Not exactly film safe!

Are you sure it was the x-rays, not the temperatures in the
hold? (I know it's cold, once aloft, but I've had the same
experience with instant coffee I carried in my car, after a
few rest stops in the hot summer sun, with the car closed
and locked.)

Old August 13th, 2006, 10:53 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.africa,rec.travel.asia,rec.travel.air,rec.travel.australia+nz
Miguel Cruz

"Larry in Berkeley" wrote:
If you are travelling by air with a film camera, don't forget that now
all airlines require cameras to be in checked luggage, not carried on
board.

I don't think this is true.

miguel
--
Photos from 40 countries on 5 continents: http://travel.u.nu
Latest photos: Malaysia; Thailand; Singapore; Spain; Morocco
Old August 13th, 2006, 11:03 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.africa,rec.travel.asia,rec.travel.air,rec.travel.australia+nz
David Bennetts

"sharkbait999" wrote in message
Larry wrote:

If you are travelling by air with a film camera, don't forget that now
all airlines require cameras to be in checked luggage, not carried on
board.

I think your blanket statement is not founded on fact, For example, the
AA website places a restriction on electronic devices carried on only on
UK to US flights - nowhere else. What airlines support your claim.
Further, I would further add that a "film" camera is no more an electronic
device than a wallet once you remove the batteries.

rg

The last part of your statement is rubbish. Add batteries to a camera and
it's workable, and furthermore by modifying the flash device built into
most cameras it becomes an effective detonator. Just the item airport
security are trying to take out of the hands of potential terrorists. Try
using a wallet as a detonator.

Regards

David Bennetts

Old August 13th, 2006, 11:12 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.africa,rec.travel.asia,rec.travel.air,rec.travel.australia+nz
Ken

On 13 Aug 2006 09:26:48 -0700, "Larry in Berkeley"
wrote:

On my last trip, I had some instant coffee in a plastic container with
a small silver-plated spoon. One of the x-ray machines was so strong
that it melted and solidified all the coffee! Not exactly film safe!

How do you know the x-ray machine did this?
Old August 14th, 2006, 12:13 AM posted to rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.africa,rec.travel.asia,rec.travel.air,rec.travel.australia+nz
Larry in Berkeley

wrote:

On my last trip, I had some instant coffee in a plastic container with
a small silver-plated spoon. One of the x-ray machines was so strong
that it melted and solidified all the coffee! Not exactly film safe!

How do you know the x-ray machine did this?

I do not know of any other source of energy that would melt the coffee
without any damage or disturbance to anything else (even the soft
candy) in the suitcase. I assume there was some interaction with the
metal spoon causing it to overheat. Such high temperatures are highly
unlikely in the baggage compartment aloft and there was not such high
temperature on land before or after.

Thanks to all who corrected my understanding about carryon of cameras.
Yes, hand checking of film is a good idea if you are allowed to carry
it on.

News annoucements just after the incident said only passport and wallet
were allowed carryon and they had to be in a plastic bag, nothing said
about that only being from the UK. Maybe just sloppy reporting or that
was a temporary rule.

Larry in Berkeley

Old August 14th, 2006, 01:07 AM posted to rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.africa,rec.travel.asia,rec.travel.air,rec.travel.australia+nz
Jack Campin - bogus address

On my last trip, I had some instant coffee in a plastic container with
a small silver-plated spoon. One of the x-ray machines was so strong
that it melted and solidified all the coffee! Not exactly film safe!

How do you know the x-ray machine did this?

I do not know of any other source of energy that would melt the coffee
without any damage or disturbance to anything else (even the soft
candy) in the suitcase. I assume there was some interaction with the
metal spoon causing it to overheat.

That sounds more like what an induction loop detector might do (it's
basically a low-power microwave oven).

Yes, hand checking of film is a good idea if you are allowed to carry
it on.

You can't get anything hand checked at UK airports. The only way to
get film through (before the present panic) was to hand-spool 35mm
into your own plastic cassettes, or use 120 film and remove the foil
wrappers. That way you can stuff your pockets and not set off the
induction loop detectors.

Old August 14th, 2006, 05:43 AM posted to rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.africa,rec.travel.asia,rec.travel.air,rec.travel.australia+nz
Gerrit 't Hart

"Larry in Berkeley" wrote in message
ups.com...

News annoucements just after the incident said only passport and wallet
were allowed carryon and they had to be in a plastic bag, nothing said
about that only being from the UK. Maybe just sloppy reporting or that
was a temporary rule.

Larry in Berkeley

I have read this message from rec.travel.asia.
My wife is travelling from Perth (Australia) to Amsterdam this week so I
checked with the airline this morning. They advised me that unless she was
travelling via the UK (which she isn't) the rules about carryon luggage were
NOT changed from before the emergency. Mind you the security will be
heightened.
So cameras are still allowed in the cabin, depending on where you are flying
to/from.

Gerrit