Speedy Border Crossings

Old January 18th, 2004, 12:40 AM
BraveNewWhirl

Default Speedy Border Crossings

I have to go from NYC to Montreal by car in two weeks. Can anyone
suggest a route that will guarantee me a speedy border crossing (I've
heard there are bib, big lineups and thorough searching going on at
most places).
Old January 18th, 2004, 05:11 AM
Tom J

"BraveNewWhirl" wrote in message
om...
I have to go from NYC to Montreal by car in two weeks. Can anyone
suggest a route that will guarantee me a speedy border crossing (I've
heard there are bib, big lineups and thorough searching going on at
most places).

I haven't seen or heard of major delays going in either direction, maybe 10 or
15 minutes. Have all your ducks in a row before you get to the crossing. Here
are a few pointers. This assumes you are a US citizen, so if you are other,
ask again:
Have either a passport or a certified copy of your birth certificate
Have a valid drivers license
If married and your wife/ partner is using your name instead of the one on
their birth certificate, also have a certified copy of your marriage license
Have no drugs in the car unless you have a prescription for them
If either of you have any type of drug arrest - stay home
if you have pets, go to your vet and get papers - they'll know what papers
If you have a bird for a pet, leave it home
Get a Canadian insurance card from your automobile insurance company
Only answer questions ask, and then as briefly and courteous as possible.
Don't ever question the border crossing person questioning you!!

There are a few minor other things that will make the crossing unpleasant, but
these are the most often gatcha's

Tom J
who in over 100 Canadian border crossings has never waited over 45 minutes

Old January 18th, 2004, 06:13 PM
Rob

Here is a URL that gives current wait times at Canadian
border crossings.

http://www.ccra-adrc.gc.ca/customs/g...es/menu-e.html