Cairo camel rides

Old April 18th, 2005, 04:55 AM
wolfmarie

Default Cairo camel rides

Hello all,

I will be heading to Cairo soon and want to take the obligatory tourist
ride on the camel by the pyramids. I have been searching for info and
while everyone says to "bargain hard" I was wondering if there is a
generally accepted amount for what that ought to be. Also, I have
heard of a couple of things that concern me, such as A) once you get on
the camel the price changes and they don't let you off until you pay a
lot more B) sometimes they take you way out in the desert to facilitate
that and C) they want to charge you for every photograph you take on or
with the camel. Can anyone please tell me what to expect? I would
really appreciate any advice.

Thanks!
Marie

Old April 18th, 2005, 04:15 PM
Tashi

Yes do the camel thing... they just usually put you on the camel and take
your pic. They'll also give you a make shift turban if you want.

do this, ask how much? then say "no way!! the camel is not that
good-looking, too skinny etc.." and go to 1/4 of the price they asked.. you
should end up paying like $1-2usd.
Bring some $1.00 bills and use those. Don't pay until you've done your
thing.
When I did it, they wouldn't give me the camera back till I payed (I was
still on the camel) I said "fine you keep the camera, I will keep the
camel.) Humour goes a long way..
1. the price won't change unless YOU let it. A naive tourist is what most
look for., bargain hard but bargain fun.. the more animated in bargaining
the better deal.. DON'T GET UPSET OR MAD..

2. they won't take you to the desert, they don't want to have to walk that
far and back again. If they ever do say something like that just tell them
you want to make sure with the tourist police that it's o.k to leave your
group. You'll be off the camel fast enough.

3. Of course they want to charge for pics, that is how they make their $
If you want to take pics of the camel do it discreetly.. If you want pics of
the people, you should ask permission.. some people really don't like it and
will get mad at you rightly so.... don't take pics of police (tourist or
otherwise).

4. Don't be a tight ass... enjoy yourself, take things in stride, let your
$ flow to these people, it is their income.. they probably make in a month
what you make in a day!!!

--
"When one realizes that life is worthless
he either commits suicide or travels. ~ Edward Dahlberg

Attached Images
File Type: jpg camel 2.jpg (29.9 KB, 140 views)
File Type: jpg camel.jpg (54.7 KB, 206 views)
Old April 18th, 2005, 06:23 PM
JP

I will be heading to Cairo soon and want to take the obligatory tourist
ride on the camel by the pyramids. I have been searching for info and
while everyone says to "bargain hard" I was wondering if there is a
generally accepted amount for what that ought to be. Also, I have
heard of a couple of things that concern me, such as A) once you get on
the camel the price changes and they don't let you off until you pay a
lot more B) sometimes they take you way out in the desert to facilitate
that and C) they want to charge you for every photograph you take on or
with the camel. Can anyone please tell me what to expect? I would
really appreciate any advice.

Thanks!
Marie

Hello.

Well, here's some information on this subject. First of all, BEFORE you get
into the saddle, agree on a price. I always pay something like 10 Egyptian
pounds for a reasonable ride (your behind will tell you after a short while
what is reasonable if this is your first ride :-). After that, make sure you
get the rope, and maybe the whip. That's that. Ana after that, maybe the
**** begins. On trick is that you agreed a certain distance, but after a
short while the camel-man starts a story about him not being allowed by the
police to go to the place you agreed. Just ignore him, say "no problem
(mafish muskila), I can go there alone, or something like that. Another
thing he can do is to let the camel stop, but since you have the rope, you
are in charge (if you don't know how to ride, just let me know, I'll tell
you (don't misunderstand me, I like camels very, very much, but have to
admit that they can be ridden by everyone, because they are so stupid)).
And, about the question of the photographs, you are right in this field,
they can charge you for anything, or at least give you the feeling they can.
Just give them the feeling that you are not impressed by there little games,
and you're fine. As long as you agree a price, BEFORE you get on, and pay
that price, they can (and probably will) say what they want, but this means
absolutely nothing.

Regards, John.

Old April 19th, 2005, 12:30 AM
Canopus

wolfmarie wrote on 18/04/2005 04:55:59:-

Hello all,

I will be heading to Cairo soon and want to take the obligatory
tourist ride on the camel by the pyramids. I have been searching for
info and while everyone says to "bargain hard" I was wondering if
there is a generally accepted amount for what that ought to be.
Also, I have heard of a couple of things that concern me, such as A)
once you get on the camel the price changes and they don't let you
off until you pay a lot more B) sometimes they take you way out in
the desert to facilitate that and C) they want to charge you for
every photograph you take on or with the camel. Can anyone please
tell me what to expect? I would really appreciate any advice.

Thanks!
Marie

The camel stables at the main gate to the site is the Government
controlled stables and prices there tend to be fixed and reasonable
although it's still advisable to haggle a little. Around the corner
from the Sound and Light stage are private stables, you need to bargain
better there although you may end up with a better price than at the
government ones, but, highly unlikely. It's been a few years since I
took a camel there so can't tell you current prices.

There used to be a fair amount of hassle with the camel touts at the
site along with souvenir hawkers, but, in recent years the government
has clamped down hard on them and on the whole the ones that are left
tend to behave themselves and are a lot more respectful as they don't
want to loose their rights to work the plateau. Any trouble you may
have just mention the Tourist Police and normally that's enough to make
them change their tune. There are plenty of Tourist Police around
there that a yell and a beckon will bring them to you if for no other
reason than that they're bored.

Rob
Old April 19th, 2005, 04:25 AM
wolfmarie

John and Rob,

Thanks for this incredibly detailed information! It is extremely
helpful. Sounds like I am in for a wild ride!

It should be fun, and I am very easygoing, but it really does help to
have an idea of what to expect.

Many thanks!!!

Marie

Old April 20th, 2005, 03:14 AM
Mister Max

"JP" posted:

[...]

John -
I would like to know how to ride a camel! Please tell us.
(We're planning a trip to Egypt this Nov/Dec)
Thanks,
- Max

--
MisterMax

http://buten.net/max/
Slideshows of Angkor Wat, Bali, Crete, France, Malaysia, Maui, Morocco,
Mt Holly, Myanmar (new), Sicily, St Tropez, Singapore, Thailand (new),
Tour de France.

http://pbase.com/mistermax - Shadows and Reflections
Old April 20th, 2005, 09:51 AM
Marie-Aude

Le Mon, 18 Apr 2005 19:23:40 +0200, JP a tapoté d'un clavier léger:

(don't misunderstand me, I like camels very, very much, but have to
admit that they can be ridden by everyone, because they are so stupid)).

imho this is one more proof of intelligence from these animals

--
Marie-Aude
http://www.trassagere.com
Old April 20th, 2005, 10:47 AM
Incognito

In article naQ8e.1065383$6l.766907@pd7tw2no, Tashi
wrote:

When I did it, they wouldn't give me the camera back till I payed (I was
still on the camel) I said "fine you keep the camera, I will keep the
camel.) Humour goes a long way..

and maybe a response they don't expect. A Cairo friend took me and my
wife in 1996. After our camel rides a reasonably well-dressed "begger"
persisted in asking for money. Our friend verbally dueled for a few
minutes and finally said, "Don't you think Allah would rather see us
praying more often and worrying less about money?" "Well, yes, I
suppose you're right", and the fellow walked away quietly. ---Ken
Old April 21st, 2005, 06:27 PM
JP

John -
I would like to know how to ride a camel! Please tell us.
(We're planning a trip to Egypt this Nov/Dec)
Thanks,
- Max

Hello.

I will be back in a few days time, a little shortage of time now. Basically,
I have to try to teach you some noises by writing, not that easy :-).

Regards, John.