no life rings on Radiance of the Seas upper outdoor decks.

Old December 28th, 2007, 04:17 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Becca[_2_]

Default no life rings on Radiance of the Seas upper outdoor decks.

BrianK wrote:

If you consider the distance of any deck from the sea, it's rather like
an inexperienced person performing a high dive. If they don't manage to
break the surface tension of the sea, it's like making a high dive into
solid concrete. Something is going to get broken. Add to this shock if
the water is very cold and it is a rare case indeed that there is
survival. If injury from the fall doesn't render the individual unable
to swim effectively, the shock of cold water can cause the mouth to
involuntarily open for some. Drowning is another possibility. If the
fall is not fatal, but results in a broken arm or leg that's not good.
Efforts to swim can signal sharks as they are attuned to the swim
patterns of the injured.

One thing I noticed on a couple of people who were pulled out of the
water; each of them had a collapsed lung. I assume, this is from the
impact of hitting the water. They are lucky they lived.

Becca

Old December 31st, 2007, 04:27 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
NWLB

Likewise, if you fall from the upper decks, you have a lot more to
worry about than life rings being thrown down to you.

As for falling from the promenade deck, that is where they tend to be
located, and in those cases, they have some use.

I was just checking my watch, it is about time for another round of
industry bashing with wave season coming.

NWLB
*******************************
www.RoyalCaribbeanFan.com
Old January 1st, 2008, 08:33 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Dillon Pyron

Thus spake BrianK :

On 12/27/2007 1:11 PM Dillon Pyron did the "neutron dance", then made
these writings:
Thus spake Chrissy Cruiser :

On Wed, 26 Dec 2007 17:49:57 -0800 (PST), Warren wrote:

On Dec 26, 2:58 pm, "
wrote:

I just saw a 20 minute video of Radiance on the travel channel. They
showed the upper decks from all angles. No liferings at all up there.

Ok, I'll play along.

So, mister"fact" - exactly what do you think would happen if you
tossed something off the top deck of Radiance while she's at cruising
speed?

Warren

What's the wind like?

Minimum 22 kts. According to my little anamometer on the Rhapsody, it
was 25 knots a little to port. So those starboard rings would have
been totally useless.

It is my understanding that life rings aren't intended for the man/woman
overboard. Rather they are a marker for the general vicinity of the
overboard pax. It's to aid Search and Rescue. In most instances it's
Search and Recover. It's not very precise when you take the speed of the
ship, wind, and current flow. But it's better than nothing. Throwing
over anything that floats in absence of life rings should work just as well.

Yeah, I agree. The MOB set on my boat consists of a ring (soon to be
replaced with something more useful, looking at options) and a flag
with a water activated strobe. This will at least give me a point to
look for when I do the 180.

If you consider the distance of any deck from the sea, it's rather like
an inexperienced person performing a high dive. If they don't manage to
break the surface tension of the sea, it's like making a high dive into
solid concrete. Something is going to get broken. Add to this shock if
the water is very cold and it is a rare case indeed that there is
survival. If injury from the fall doesn't render the individual unable
to swim effectively, the shock of cold water can cause the mouth to
involuntarily open for some. Drowning is another possibility. If the
fall is not fatal, but results in a broken arm or leg that's not good.
Efforts to swim can signal sharks as they are attuned to the swim
patterns of the injured.

"I just remembered, I can't swim". "Don't worry kid, the fall will
probably kill you anyways".

A fall from deck 10 is something in the neighborhood of 100 feet.
Water is noncompressable (something like hitting concrete). If you
hit just right (feet first, perfectly vertical), you will submerge
about 25-30 feet. Of course, the shock of hitting the water will
probably expel most of the air from your lungs.

And how many people are going to do an 10.0 Olympic entry? Not the
drunk. Most will be unconcious. Then there's the "suction" of the
moving ship that will likely pull you in close contact with wake
turbulence, which will fill your lungs with water if you are supine.
If you're prone, it really doesn't matter.

Although there are live recoveries of MOBs, most do result in severe
injure. The woman whose body was recovered in the Med this year
showed significant blunt force trauma, including multiple fractures to
the thorax and spinal column.

Yeah, life rings are intended to locate a body.

--
dillon

I used to think the horse's name was Bob.
And the angel's name was Hark.
Old January 2nd, 2008, 09:41 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Chrissy Cruiser[_2_]

On Thu, 27 Dec 2007 12:11:20 -0600, Dillon Pyron wrote:

I just saw a 20 minute video of Radiance on the travel channel. They
showed the upper decks from all angles. No liferings at all up there.

Ok, I'll play along.

So, mister"fact" - exactly what do you think would happen if you
tossed something off the top deck of Radiance while she's at cruising
speed?

Warren

What's the wind like?

Minimum 22 kts. According to my little anamometer on the Rhapsody, it
was 25 knots a little to port. So those starboard rings would have
been totally useless.

If you tossed them a wee bit forward..LOL
Old January 2nd, 2008, 09:42 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Chrissy Cruiser[_2_]

On Thu, 27 Dec 2007 01:50:40 -0500, Chrissy Cruiser wrote:

On Wed, 19 Dec 2007 10:59:03 -0800 (PST), wrote:

If someone falls overboard or off of another ship, what do you throw
them that floats?

A hypocritical bag of hot air?

Where is O'Boil?

I would answer me but she has me killfiled.
Old February 18th, 2014, 08:08 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
[email protected]

Default Outdoor Decks

Your home and office are the place where you cherish the beautiful moments of life with your family and colleagues. The major share of time people spends in their work place, so it ought to be a place full of liveliness and positivity. Adding to it, home is the place where you rejuvenate your energy for the next day.

The auras of both of these spaces are supposed to be inspiring and stirring in every possible way. And in making of this kind of ambience, interiors play a vital role.

http://www.options-unltd.com/wooden-flooring.html