O Canada How Can You Do This?

Old April 18th, 2004, 09:32 PM
Dave Smith

Default O Canada How Can You Do This?

Ian Phillips wrote:

We do not like it either but it is a local custom.
There are things that Inuit do in Greenland you woudl not like either.

Why is it that some native groups are not just allowed but encourage to
indulge in their traditional hunts, but the rest of us are not? We are all
descendants of hunter gatherers. Sealing has been a way of life in
Newfoundland for hundreds of years. If baby seals were as cute as lobsters
nobody would give a damn about them.

Old April 19th, 2004, 12:39 AM
Alan Pollock

Dave Smith wrote:
Ian Phillips wrote:

We do not like it either but it is a local custom.
There are things that Inuit do in Greenland you woudl not like either.

Why is it that some native groups are not just allowed but encourage to
indulge in their traditional hunts, but the rest of us are not? We are all
descendants of hunter gatherers. Sealing has been a way of life in
Newfoundland for hundreds of years. If baby seals were as cute as lobsters
nobody would give a damn about them.

Were the shoe on the other foot and Americans were doing this instead of
Canadians, how do you think Canadians would generally react? How would the CBC
react? A little honesty here. Nex
Old April 19th, 2004, 04:41 AM
Mike from Ottawa

On Sun, 18 Apr 2004 23:39:29 +0000 (UTC), Alan Pollock
wrote:

snip
Were the shoe on the other foot and Americans were doing this instead of
Canadians, how do you think Canadians would generally react? How would the CBC
react? A little honesty here. Nex

Why bring up the US?

And if you did, we'd say it was just a matter of an animal being cute.

---
Mike from Ottawa
Old April 19th, 2004, 05:32 AM
Alan Pollock

Mike from Ottawa wrote:
On Sun, 18 Apr 2004 23:39:29 +0000 (UTC), Alan Pollock
wrote:

snip
Were the shoe on the other foot and Americans were doing this instead of
Canadians, how do you think Canadians would generally react? How would the CBC
react? A little honesty here. Nex

Why bring up the US?

Mainstream Canadians vs Natives is what made me think of it. Same activity,
different takes because different people are doing it. This often happens in
the way Canadians view Americans. The emotion governs the attitude which
creates the potential to warp or filter fact.

Some Canadians defend Pup clubbing - and I'm not saying it's indefensible,
that's not the point - yet many of those same Canadians would be yelling at
the top of their lungs if Americans were doing it instead of Canadians. Point
being that attitude governs much of the debate. It's not always the actual
activity that's being judged, because sometimes it's just prior attitude, and
the event or activity affords an excuse to further that attitude.

And if you did, we'd say it was just a matter of an animal being cute.

Remember, I'm juxtaposing. It would have to be an activity that, due to
geography, Canadians could not engage in yet Americans could. The opposite to
the Harp Seal thing but with the same type of 'moral' implication.

Anyway, can't believe I just wrote a couple of paragraphs about Seals of all
things, and right after watching tonight's Sopranos! Whassup wi' dat? Nex

(Oh right)
Old April 19th, 2004, 09:48 PM
Peter L

"Dave Smith" wrote in message
Ian Phillips wrote:

We do not like it either but it is a local custom.
There are things that Inuit do in Greenland you woudl not like either.

Why is it that some native groups are not just allowed but encourage to
indulge in their traditional hunts, but the rest of us are not?

"The rest" of you are "allowed" to carry on sealing activities. What do you
mean you are not allowed? Is it illegal in Canada? No? So you are
allowed. Note that many people also object to the practices of native
groups (such as whaling and hunting practices).

Old April 20th, 2004, 02:49 AM
Mike from Ottawa

On Mon, 19 Apr 2004 04:32:38 +0000 (UTC), Alan Pollock
wrote:

Mike from Ottawa wrote:
On Sun, 18 Apr 2004 23:39:29 +0000 (UTC), Alan Pollock
wrote:

snip
Were the shoe on the other foot and Americans were doing this instead of
Canadians, how do you think Canadians would generally react? How would the CBC
react? A little honesty here. Nex

Why bring up the US?

Mainstream Canadians vs Natives is what made me think of it. Same activity,
different takes because different people are doing it. This often happens in
the way Canadians view Americans. The emotion governs the attitude which
creates the potential to warp or filter fact.

Not necessarily so. I still disagree with Bush and his so-called
reasons for attacking Iraq, but that doesn't take away my appreciation
of what the US has accomplished in science, humanitarian aid, etc.
Canajuns can be very critical of the US, sometimes from envy,
sometimes because we just think you're leadership is wrong and it's
endangering all of us.

I take Americans on an individual basis, and have made friends down
there. Both of our peoples have always helped each other out during
times of environmental disasters, and that's not likely to change.
OTOH, your government tends to make our lives difficult on issues such
as trade and international affairs. If we don't like it, it's up to
us to diversify trade with other countries and get off the easy fix of
being so closely tied to you guys.

Some Canadians defend Pup clubbing - and I'm not saying it's indefensible,
that's not the point - yet many of those same Canadians would be yelling at
the top of their lungs if Americans were doing it instead of Canadians. Point
being that attitude governs much of the debate. It's not always the actual
activity that's being judged, because sometimes it's just prior attitude, and
the event or activity affords an excuse to further that attitude.

It's my own opinion, but I disagree. Just because Americans were
doing it wouldn't necessarily mean that Canadians would be screaming
at them -- we have grown up somewhat over the years.

I'm not "for" or "against" sealing either, but I strongly dislike the
silliness caused because a seal pup is cute. As you've implied, the
activity has to be judged on its own merits, not the cuteness of the
target of the activity.

And if you did, we'd say it was just a matter of an animal being cute.

Remember, I'm juxtaposing. It would have to be an activity that, due to
geography, Canadians could not engage in yet Americans could. The opposite to
the Harp Seal thing but with the same type of 'moral' implication.

Hey, you're welcome to come up here and have a flail at some of our
seals!

Anyway, can't believe I just wrote a couple of paragraphs about Seals of all
things, and right after watching tonight's Sopranos! Whassup wi' dat? Nex

Ah, I've been missing this season so far. Folks at work have hinted
about some of the shows, but I want to see them for myself. Soon, I
hope.

---
Mike from Ottawa
Old April 20th, 2004, 03:07 AM
Alan Pollock

wrote:

Anyway, can't believe I just wrote a couple of paragraphs about Seals of all
things, and right after watching tonight's Sopranos! Whassup wi' dat? Nex

Ah, I've been missing this season so far. Folks at work have hinted
about some of the shows, but I want to see them for myself. Soon, I
hope.

Not their best season so far in my view. I like subterfuge, scheming,
strategy, intrigue. Less of that this time around. But still good. And if you
get the chance to catch Deadwood, it's a worthy watch as well.

As for the invite to a weekend of clubbing seals, Moosehead on tap after?
Okay, then I'll seriously thinkaboudit. Nex
Old April 20th, 2004, 10:40 PM
Mike from Ottawa

wrote:

Anyway, can't believe I just wrote a couple of paragraphs about Seals of all
things, and right after watching tonight's Sopranos! Whassup wi' dat? Nex

Ah, I've been missing this season so far. Folks at work have hinted
about some of the shows, but I want to see them for myself. Soon, I
hope.

Not their best season so far in my view. I like subterfuge, scheming,
strategy, intrigue. Less of that this time around. But still good. And if you
get the chance to catch Deadwood, it's a worthy watch as well.

As for the invite to a weekend of clubbing seals, Moosehead on tap after?
Okay, then I'll seriously thinkaboudit. Nex

Moosehead, Sleeman's, or we can go for Boddington's, Kilkenny -- you
name it.

I heard Deadwood was good. We really enjoyed the offbeat Six Feet
Under, too. I wish I could switch all the garbage TV stations for
what I really wanted...

---
Mike from Ottawa