Can we avoid the steps at Sacre Coeur, Paris?

Old March 16th, 2005, 01:36 PM
Leo Scanlon

Default Can we avoid the steps at Sacre Coeur, Paris?

My wife and I are making our first trip to Paris at the end of May and
we definitely want to see Sacre Coeur. However, my wife has a replaced
knee and a bad hip, which makes climbing steps and hills very difficult
for her. I realize there's a funicular that bypasses most of the
steps, but it appears that there is still a substantial number of steps
up to the church itself.

Any suggestions? Is it perhaps possible to take a taxi from Metro
directly to the back of the church?

Thanks,
Leo

Old March 16th, 2005, 01:46 PM
Zinzan

Le 16 Mar 2005 05:36:38 -0800, "Leo Scanlon" a
écrit :

My wife and I are making our first trip to Paris at the end of May and
we definitely want to see Sacre Coeur.

The view and the neighborood is nice but the Basilique in itself is
not very interesting, IMO.

However, my wife has a replaced
knee and a bad hip, which makes climbing steps and hills very difficult
for her. I realize there's a funicular that bypasses most of the
steps, but it appears that there is still a substantial number of steps
up to the church itself.

Any suggestions? Is it perhaps possible to take a taxi from Metro
directly to the back of the church?

I'm sure a taxi will be able to drop you near the Sacre Coeur. This
site mentions an elevator located at 35, rue du Chevalier de la Barre
but I never used it myself :
http://www.sacre-coeur-montmartre.co...ml#moyensacces
Old March 16th, 2005, 01:53 PM
Italian Job

I went by car to Paris this xmas, and we arrived just in front of the
chrurch by car one evening.
The streets are very narrow and there are a lot of one way streets, and that
zone it's really like an uphill maze, we did it with a good city map and
lots of tries, but with a taxi you can easily avoid to get lost in there and
avoid all the steps!
Have a nice trip!!!

Laura from Rome

ups.com...

Old March 16th, 2005, 02:15 PM
Kristian

"Leo Scanlon" wrote:

My wife and I are making our first trip to Paris at the end of May and
we definitely want to see Sacre Coeur. However, my wife has a replaced
knee and a bad hip, which makes climbing steps and hills very difficult
for her. I realize there's a funicular that bypasses most of the
steps, but it appears that there is still a substantial number of steps
up to the church itself.

Any suggestions? Is it perhaps possible to take a taxi from Metro
directly to the back of the church?

Thanks,
Leo

There is a bus running the hill as well, from metro station Pigalle:

http://www.ratp.fr/ParisVisite/Eng/P...tmartrobus.htm

Kristian
Old March 16th, 2005, 02:52 PM
Jan

Kristian wrote:
"Leo Scanlon" wrote:

My wife and I are making our first trip to Paris at the end of May
and we definitely want to see Sacre Coeur. However, my wife has a
replaced knee and a bad hip, which makes climbing steps and hills
very difficult for her. I realize there's a funicular that bypasses
most of the steps, but it appears that there is still a substantial
number of steps up to the church itself.

Any suggestions? Is it perhaps possible to take a taxi from Metro
directly to the back of the church?

Thanks,
Leo

According to my DK Eyewitness guide to Paris, Sacre Coeur does have
disabled access. So you must be able to avoid the 15 or so steps

Jan

Old March 16th, 2005, 03:37 PM
Leo Scanlon

The disabled access must be the elevator at 35, rue du Chevalier de la
Barre that Zinzan mentioned. And, BTW...we're only talking about 15 or
so steps? Pictures we've seen make it look like a LOT more than that.

Old March 16th, 2005, 07:39 PM
Jan

hk wrote:
On Wed, 16 Mar 2005 14:52:27 -0000, "Jan"
wrote:

According to my DK Eyewitness guide to Paris, Sacre Coeur does have
disabled access. So you must be able to avoid the 15 or so steps

15 steps?
You last went to Paris when they were starting building the
Sacré-Coeur, I suppose?

15 steps was my mothers "guesstimate" - when you have a dodgy hip, you take
notice that sort of thing!! :-)
I've googled for pictures showing Sacre Coeur and found these
http://www.ps.ic.ac.uk/~gkal/Medium/mecoeur.jpg
and
http://www.dooyoo.co.uk/sightseeing-...coeur-1/29526/
which will give an idea to the number of steps from the road above the
funicular station - which is what the OP was asking.
Jan

Old March 17th, 2005, 11:29 AM
Icono Clast

hk wrote:
15 steps?
You last went to Paris when they were starting building the
Sacré-Coeur, I suppose?

There's a road that goes around from the Right of the lower stairs.
Un San Francisqueño en San Francisco
http://geocities.com/dancefest/ http://geocities.com/iconoc/
ICQ: http://wwp.mirabilis.com/19098103 IClast at SFbay Net