Presidents Club

Old October 13th, 2005, 05:53 AM
Reef Fish

Randy Hudson wrote:
In article . com,
Reef Fish wrote:

In fact, since it has two complimentary President's Club passes,
it's worth $50 to YOU as your intended gift. It has a $50
initiation wawer in case you want to apply for a President;s
Club membership.

True if each Club visit is worth $25 to you.

That goes without saying. Fran was considering purchasing a package
of 10 passes for $250, so it's probably worth it to her.

I do use the passes, generally saving them for
weather delays and other missed connections that strand me for several hours
in a conneting airport. But I'd value them at around $5-$10; I don't drink
alchoholic beverages, so someone who liked to knock back half-a-dozen free
drinks during such a visit would certainly value them more highly.

All true. I don't drink alcoholic beverages either, but I noticed
CO was cutting back on the TIME when hard liquor is served, at least
at the EWR hub, as a cost-saving measure for them I suppose.

The free (wireless and high-speed) use of the internet access,
for those with their own laptops, is worth a few bucks.

It has a $99 companion ticket for coach within 48 states,
Alaska and Canada. (THIS is your biggest chuck of saving)!
Just fly ONCE with a companion, and you'll get your money
back plus more.

Hmm... that cannot be used for internet purchases, according to CO's Help
Desk.

That's a nuisance alright, but they have to collect the coupon,
which cannot be done over the internet. OTOH, for those who
generally use travel agents for air travels (obviously we don't)
the ticket can be issued by any travel agent.

I had to make a phone reservation and then travel to the airport to
give them the coupon, and also pay the non-internet fare for the primary
ticket.

The internet/non-internet fares are often the same. But you do lose
the 1000 FFMs for internet booking.

And the airport assessed ticketing surcharges on both the primary
and companion tickets,

I don't recall this ticketing surcharge.

and also split the reservation which screwed up the
seating and upgrades.

I don't remember the reason for splitting the reservation, but how
does that screw up the seating and upgrade? My wife and I are both
Platinum Elite on CO. I was told a couple of times that when we
travel together and booked together that LOWERS the priority of
our upgrade because she would be considered a regular passenger
accompanying a Platinum member, eligible to be upgraded, but not
in as high a priority queue as if she is booked on a separate
reservation as a Platinum member herself

And they gave no FF miles for the companion.

I don't believe that's true! Too lazy to check it now, but I do
recall asking that question specifically and was told that it not
only gets FF miles but also QUALIFYING miles for Elite Status
whereas freebie tickets don't.

Bottom line, it's not as good as it sounds.

But good enough. You forgot to mention you have to pay the
air TAX which I told Fran to factor into the reduced perk.
For her $700 primary ticket from Canada, she's saving plenty.

At has a $25/$50/$100 Roundtrip coupon depending on the cost
of the ticket. ($100 for a fare of $400 or more; $50 for a
fare $275-399).

Thery refused to honor this coupon for the primary fare when I was using the
$99 companion fare coupon.

That's because it's Rule #2 printed at the back of the coupon, that
it cannot be used in conjection with another certificate or OnePass
reward. There are some other restrictions for this coupon also,
such as a Saturday night stay required.

When I do use this coupon, I wouldn't be
surprised if they again force me to travel to the airport to use it, where
the agent will again collect a ticketing fee for the "convenience" of
ticketing at the airport.

Actually more for the collection of the coupon. At the back of the
coupon, it gave a two-line instruction for CO ticket agents, and
21 lines, itemized in 4 steps, instructions for travel agents.

In fact, we throw away the President Club Passes before we are Club
members with unlimited passes.

Literally?

I wouldn't know how to throw them away figuratively. :-)

I would hold onto them in case you want to take in more than the
two guests allowed you as a member.

That's what the President's Club desk clerk told me, when I asked
what's the use of those coupons for ME because I could bring
TWO companions with my regular membership, and the coupons are
not transferable to anyone else. But I never travel with an
entourage.

Actually I "throw away" $5 complimentary drink/headphone coupons
for coach class use also, because we were al evmost always upgraded
to First Class, and each year we EACH get 4 of these coupons
when we get our Platinum card. That's 8 per year ... 48 over
the past 6 years. We don't literally throw them away, but
we always carry a bunch when we were not confirmed upgraded
until flight time (which some routes always wait until
boarding time even when they have plenty of upgradable seats).

I remember on one (rare) occasion I didn't get an upgrade and
had to settle on one of the "premium" seats in coach, I was in
a generous mood a waved a wad of my free-drink coupons and
offered it to anyone in the nearby seats. I was somewhat
surprised that not everyone wanted them, but the crew member
said one of the passengers had a great time with his multiple
freebies I "threw away". :-)

So, I carry those coupons for the same reason F.C.Fields
carry a little snake when he travels, in case he gets a
snake bite and needs to use his bottle of spirits, for
medicinal reasons.

The wonderful world of Travel Perks!

-- Bob.

Old October 13th, 2005, 07:30 AM
Randy Hudson

In article .com,
Reef Fish wrote:

That's a nuisance alright, but they have to collect the coupon,
which cannot be done over the internet.

Northwest markets heavily with coupons, and they do fine with internet
purchases using the coupons. There is a serial number on the Prestige Pack
coupon, so if CO wanted to, they could do it.

The internet/non-internet fares are often the same. But you do lose
the 1000 FFMs for internet booking.

I missed something to complain about? :-)

And the airport assessed ticketing surcharges on both the primary
and companion tickets,

I don't recall this ticketing surcharge.

If you ticket in the Club, they probably waived it (another advantage of
Club membership). They added $10 to each ticket.

I don't remember the reason for splitting the reservation, but how
does that screw up the seating and upgrade?

I was automatically upgraded, my companion wasn't, and First was full at
flight time, so I couldn't get her up with me. She is a nervous flyer, and
won't fly unless I'm sitting next to her, but once I was upgraded, my Coach
seat was gone. I tried to swap with the person next to her, but the airline
wouldn't allow it, insisting that the next person on the upgrade list got
the seat if I wouldn't take it. Ironically, that was her, but that didn't
help. Eventually it got worked out, and IMO the fault was more hers than
the airline's, but if the reservation hadn't been split, it wouldn't have
happened.

My wife and I are both Platinum Elite on CO. I was told a couple of times
that when we travel together and booked together that LOWERS the priority
of our upgrade because she would be considered a regular passenger
accompanying a Platinum member, eligible to be upgraded, but not in as
high a priority queue as if she is booked on a separate reservation as a
Platinum member herself

That's a bug they should fix. I'm not holding my breath, though; I suspect
that they are running a skeleton crew in their Systems Development due to
financial pressure.

And they gave no FF miles for the companion.

I don't believe that's true!

Oops, I mis-remembered: they gave each of us half-miles for Elite purposes,
because it was not an internet purchase. I'll make Plat anyway this year,
but she would have made Silver, and probably won't.

But good enough. You forgot to mention you have to pay the
air TAX which I told Fran to factor into the reduced perk.
For her $700 primary ticket from Canada, she's saving plenty.

Definitely was worth all the hassles for that one. I rarely spend over $300
for a simple domestic RT ticket, and for my Canada travel, LAS-CGY via
IAH (or EWR) is just too out-of-the-way even for that good a discount.

That's because it's Rule #2 printed at the back of the coupon, that
it cannot be used in conjection with another certificate or OnePass
reward.

My argument was that it was the only coupon used for the primary ticket. I
lost that argument :-(.

There are some other restrictions for this coupon also, such as a Saturday
night stay required.

Most discount fares require that, though LAS is a weird market that often
doesn't use that rule (cheap fares require Tues/Wed arrival and departure).

That's what the President's Club desk clerk told me, when I asked
what's the use of those coupons for ME because I could bring
TWO companions with my regular membership, and the coupons are
not transferable to anyone else. But I never travel with an
entourage.

My "entourage" tends to be family; boring, but safe. The club would stretch
the "two guests" limit if every guest was immediate family, but I needed the
coupon to get my stepfather in.

Actually I "throw away" $5 complimentary drink/headphone coupons
for coach class use also, because we were al evmost always upgraded
to First Class, and each year we EACH get 4 of these coupons
when we get our Platinum card. That's 8 per year ... 48 over
the past 6 years. We don't literally throw them away, but
we always carry a bunch when we were not confirmed upgraded
until flight time (which some routes always wait until
boarding time even when they have plenty of upgradable seats).

They don't expire, and they're freely transferable. I give mine to my
sister, and some people apparently sell theirs on EBay.

the crew member said one of the passengers had a great time with his
multiple freebies I "threw away". :-)

....figuratively... :-)

--
Randy Hudson
Old October 13th, 2005, 07:54 AM
DevilsPGD

In message .com "Reef
Fish" wrote:

The free (wireless and high-speed) use of the internet access,
for those with their own laptops, is worth a few bucks.

Yeah, even if the cost at the airport is typically only $5-$15, it's
still a nice freebie.

That's a nuisance alright, but they have to collect the coupon,
which cannot be done over the internet. OTOH, for those who
generally use travel agents for air travels (obviously we don't)
the ticket can be issued by any travel agent.

Not at all, they could put a serial number on each coupon and invalidate
the coupon once it's used whether or not they have the physical coupon.

They could also allow you to mail it in and if you fail to do so, charge
the difference to a credit card, or they could require you to present it
when you use it rather then when you book the flight.

There are options, if they care. Personally, it costs me $22 to get to
the airport, and another $22 to get home again, so it would take a lot
of benefit for me to go out to the airport for anything.

I wouldn't know how to throw them away figuratively. :-)

Make a conscious decision to not use them, give them to someone else,
almost anything other then actually using them.

I remember on one (rare) occasion I didn't get an upgrade and
had to settle on one of the "premium" seats in coach, I was in
a generous mood a waved a wad of my free-drink coupons and
offered it to anyone in the nearby seats. I was somewhat
surprised that not everyone wanted them, but the crew member
said one of the passengers had a great time with his multiple
freebies I "threw away". :-)

Not all of us drink...

--
DevilsPGD - A spews parrot and a member of the spews lunatics
of n.a.n-a.e. (AKA spews fanatics)
Old October 13th, 2005, 08:54 AM
mrtravel

DevilsPGD wrote:

In message .com "Reef
Fish" wrote:

The free (wireless and high-speed) use of the internet access,
for those with their own laptops, is worth a few bucks.

Yeah, even if the cost at the airport is typically only $5-$15, it's
still a nice freebie.

That's a nuisance alright, but they have to collect the coupon,
which cannot be done over the internet. OTOH, for those who
generally use travel agents for air travels (obviously we don't)
the ticket can be issued by any travel agent.

Not at all, they could put a serial number on each coupon and invalidate
the coupon once it's used whether or not they have the physical coupon.

They could also allow you to mail it in and if you fail to do so, charge
the difference to a credit card, or they could require you to present it
when you use it rather then when you book the flight.

They could forgoe the use of paper coupons.

There are options, if they care. Personally, it costs me $22 to get to
the airport, and another $22 to get home again, so it would take a lot
of benefit for me to go out to the airport for anything.

I guess they feel their target audience doesn't need to make special
trips to the airport.
Old October 13th, 2005, 12:10 PM
Fran

Fran

"Reef Fish" wrote in message
oups.com...
:
: Fran wrote:
: Bob
: Another quick question . If I purchase 1 pack with the 2 presidents club
: passes do we need to use both passes for my husband and I to use the
club
: on 1 occasion or does each pass allow the owner and spouse to enter .
:
: On the back of the coupon, it says "This guest pass admits the person
: named and one guest". So, that's clear that one coupon will allow
: TWO persons to use the Club facilities (the owner of the coupon and
: whatever guest -- not limited to spouse).
:

That is what I had thought
: If I call to order a pack do you know how long does it take to have them
sent out
: .
:
: That question is best saved to ask the rep when you order the packet.
: The toll free number in the USA is 1-800-322-2640, or the Texas
: number (713) 782-0448.
:
: But their answer to "how long does it take" is not always reliable. :-)
:
: I think the "standard answer" is "four to six weeks". I seem to recall
: it had taken more than 8 week once and shorter than 2 weeks another
: time. If you needed it quickly, you may request special handing,
: but that's not always possible because they have to print your name,
: Account number, and dates on every coupon, bind them into a booklet
: and then mail it to you.
:
: -- Bob.
:

sounds like the standard time frame for many things these days
Thanks Fran

Old October 13th, 2005, 04:34 PM
Reef Fish

Default Presidents Club

DevilsPGD wrote:
In message .com "Reef
Fish" wrote:

The free (wireless and high-speed) use of the internet access,
for those with their own laptops, is worth a few bucks.

Yeah, even if the cost at the airport is typically only $5-$15, it's
still a nice freebie.

That's a nuisance alright, but they have to collect the coupon,
which cannot be done over the internet. OTOH, for those who
generally use travel agents for air travels (obviously we don't)
the ticket can be issued by any travel agent.

Not at all, they could put a serial number on each coupon and invalidate
the coupon once it's used whether or not they have the physical coupon.

They could also allow you to mail it in and if you fail to do so, charge
the difference to a credit card, or they could require you to present it
when you use it rather then when you book the flight.

They do some other things that way, but it saves them 1,000 FFM for
each booking NOT made on the internet (that's a $20 equivalent, plus
some other little dinky charges) -- 20 bucks here and 20 bucks there
soon you're talking about the difference of NW filing chapter 11
while CO is still solvent.

There are options, if they care. Personally, it costs me $22 to get to
the airport, and another $22 to get home again, so it would take a lot
of benefit for me to go out to the airport for anything.

Even mrtravel got this one right -- that many in the target group
go to the airport often (to fly) anyway, even if the airport is not
close (in my case, a 125 miles drive to Hatlanta, one way), but all
I had to do was to wait till I am at SOME airport when I travel
that has a CO ticket counter to do the $99 companion tickie.
Besides, don't you have a TRAVEL AGENCY that's closer than $22
one way to get there?

I wouldn't know how to throw them away figuratively. :-)

Make a conscious decision to not use them, give them to someone else,
almost anything other then actually using them.

The Prez Club coupons are NOT transferable like the drink coupons.
It has the owner's name and OnePass number printed on it. Either
YOU use it, or you throw it away.

I remember on one (rare) occasion I didn't get an upgrade and
had to settle on one of the "premium" seats in coach, I was in
a generous mood a waved a wad of my free-drink coupons and
offered it to anyone in the nearby seats. I was somewhat
surprised that not everyone wanted them, but the crew member
said one of the passengers had a great time with his multiple
freebies I "threw away". :-)

Not all of us drink...

EVERYONE drinks ... even if it's only water. :-) The $5 coupons
are good for wine (some don't consider that an alcoholic "drink"
even though it is, technically, a very diluted one) which is good
for softening one's artery and prevent heart attacks (myocardiac
infarction), and it's good for a CO headphone for keeps. I almost
forget, BEERS -- in the same "drink" category as wine, I suppose.
I don't drink beer either because it looks and smells too much
like something that has been recycled through a horse. :-)

-- Bob.

Old October 13th, 2005, 08:52 PM
DevilsPGD

In message .com "Reef
Fish" wrote:

EVERYONE drinks ... even if it's only water. :-)

Do you need a coupon for water?

The $5 coupons
are good for wine (some don't consider that an alcoholic "drink"
even though it is, technically, a very diluted one) which is good
for softening one's artery and prevent heart attacks (myocardiac
infarction), and it's good for a CO headphone for keeps. I almost
forget, BEERS -- in the same "drink" category as wine, I suppose.
I don't drink beer either because it looks and smells too much
like something that has been recycled through a horse. :-)

Personally, I don't touch anything alcoholic, and I tend to bring my own
drinks (usually water, and crystal light packets) with me so that I can
drink when I choose, not when the flight attendants choose.

--
1989 - The movie "Batman," notches $100 million in 10 days,
proving once and for all that the public can't get enough
Old October 13th, 2005, 09:57 PM
Frank F. Matthews

DevilsPGD wrote:
In message .com "Reef
Fish" wrote:

EVERYONE drinks ... even if it's only water. :-)

Do you need a coupon for water?

The $5 coupons
are good for wine (some don't consider that an alcoholic "drink"
even though it is, technically, a very diluted one) which is good
for softening one's artery and prevent heart attacks (myocardiac
infarction), and it's good for a CO headphone for keeps. I almost
forget, BEERS -- in the same "drink" category as wine, I suppose.
I don't drink beer either because it looks and smells too much
like something that has been recycled through a horse. :-)

Personally, I don't touch anything alcoholic, and I tend to bring my own
drinks (usually water, and crystal light packets) with me so that I can
drink when I choose, not when the flight attendants choose.

While they would prefer that you not notice -- except for the unusual
mass service times -- that's part of the purpose of the little button
that sets off the call light.

Old October 13th, 2005, 11:33 PM
Reef Fish

DevilsPGD wrote:
In message .com "Reef
Fish" wrote:

EVERYONE drinks ... even if it's only water. :-)

Do you need a coupon for water?

Has anyone ever explained what "humor impaired" means?

The $5 coupons
are good for wine (some don't consider that an alcoholic "drink"
even though it is, technically, a very diluted one) which is good
for softening one's artery and prevent heart attacks (myocardiac
infarction), and it's good for a CO headphone for keeps. I almost
forget, BEERS -- in the same "drink" category as wine, I suppose.
I don't drink beer either because it looks and smells too much
like something that has been recycled through a horse. :-)

Personally, I don't touch anything alcoholic, and I tend to bring my own
drinks (usually water, and crystal light packets) with me so that I can
drink when I choose, not when the flight attendants choose.

So what's your POINT? That you are the model of a healthy
citizen whom everyone should follow?

I don't smoke (actually I quit after smoking heavily for 30+
years), not for health reasons, but because I was sick of
listening to all the anti-smoking zealots trying to preach
to me; but I never complain or preach against those who choose
to smoke because the government's statistics about smoking and
causation is a bunch of hot smoke itself!

I don't drink (except for an occasional sip on social occasions)
but I don't preach to anyone about the evils of drinking. I
don't drink beer because, as I said, it looks and smells too
much like something that recycled through a horse. Most of my
good and best friends drink -- some like a Fish, and we get
along perfectly.

Speaking about drinking, almost EVERY newsgroup I've ever posted,
there was always someone who lost all factual arguments would
accuse me of being a drunk or excessive drinking. One infamous
characters in this group who had done so: repeatedly was Vitaly
Schmatikov who had since changed his posting name to VS.

One of my proudest moment in USENET was when someone fabricated
lies about my drinking and an Aussie friend of mine (unbeknownst
to me that he even read that newsgroup), popped out in my
defense, in his colorful manner of speech,

DS Forgive my butting in - and coming out of lurker
DS mode into a place where I feel as though I'm
DS about to put my pecker into a sackful of ferrets -

DS Eh! Bob is one of the few folks that I've
DS been privileged to meet and dive with who DOESN'T
DS drink!!!

But I digress.

I don't do lots of things some folks complain about OTHERS who
do, and I DON'T complain or bitch about them either. It's
THEIR bidness.

Live and Let Live. That's my motto.

-- Bob.

Old October 15th, 2005, 03:50 AM
DevilsPGD

In message om "Reef
Fish" wrote:

DevilsPGD wrote:

The $5 coupons
are good for wine (some don't consider that an alcoholic "drink"
even though it is, technically, a very diluted one) which is good
for softening one's artery and prevent heart attacks (myocardiac
infarction), and it's good for a CO headphone for keeps. I almost
forget, BEERS -- in the same "drink" category as wine, I suppose.
I don't drink beer either because it looks and smells too much
like something that has been recycled through a horse. :-)

Personally, I don't touch anything alcoholic, and I tend to bring my own
drinks (usually water, and crystal light packets) with me so that I can
drink when I choose, not when the flight attendants choose.

So what's your POINT? That you are the model of a healthy
citizen whom everyone should follow?

Nope, far from it -- Just pointing out that it's not all that unexpected
that people might turn down free alcohol.

I don't drink (except for an occasional sip on social occasions)
but I don't preach to anyone about the evils of drinking. I
don't drink beer because, as I said, it looks and smells too
much like something that recycled through a horse. Most of my
good and best friends drink -- some like a Fish, and we get
along perfectly.

I don't recall preaching about alcohol either. I have nothing against
alcohol, I just don't choose to consume any. I'm more then happy to buy
a round of drinks if the mood strikes me.

--
I don't approve of political jokes...
I've seen too many of them get elected.