Dialing a Cell Phone in Argentina

Old September 20th, 2004, 04:39 PM
eBob.com

Default Dialing a Cell Phone in Argentina

Hi,

Is there some trick to dialing a cell phone in Argentina? I'm trying to
call a friend in Salta. She says that to call her cell phone from the US I
should dial 011 54 387 xxx xxx xxx. But I get a recorded message, in
English, that says, if I recall correctly, something like the call cannot be
completed as dialed.

I recall once having a similar problem trying to call a cell phone in BsAs
but I do not recall how I resolved it.

Thanks, Bob

Old September 20th, 2004, 05:58 PM
John Cisarik

"eBob.com" wrote in message
Hi,

Is there some trick to dialing a cell phone in Argentina? I'm trying to
call a friend in Salta. She says that to call her cell phone from the US

should dial 011 54 387 xxx xxx xxx. But I get a recorded message, in
English, that says, if I recall correctly, something like the call cannot

be
completed as dialed.

I recall once having a similar problem trying to call a cell phone in BsAs
but I do not recall how I resolved it.

Thanks, Bob

That 011-54- combination is what you use when dialing an Argentine number
direct from the United States, but I seem to recall that there's another
prefix that must be added for a cell phone. I only dialed a cell phone once
that way, and the recipient of the call, a relative who had to pay the
charge, berated me so much that I wiped the number out of my memory....

Old September 20th, 2004, 06:30 PM
Nicky

Hi Bob:
If you call a cellular phone in Argentina, please add a 9 after the country
code.
So try 011 54 9 387 xxxxxxx in your case.
The "9" is the way to identify the access to a cell.
Many countries have similar regulation (with 9 or other number).

Nicky
San Andrés - Argentina

Old September 26th, 2004, 04:55 PM
eBob.com

Thank you Nicky, but when I tried a "9" as you suggested it did not work. I
got different dialing noises but the end result was still a message, in
English, saying something like "your call cannot be completed as dialed."
Any other suggestions?

Thanks, Bob