Need advice on buying a notebook that can be repaired anywhere?

Old March 24th, 2004, 05:50 AM
JHEM

Default Need advice on buying a notebook that can be repaired anywhere?

Gaikokujin Kyofusho wrote:

Hey, thanks for all the input. I am a total believer in thinkpads
(have an old 240x that is still going strong) but i need a strong
multimedia desktop replacement (two biggest things are fast processor
and DVD burner). I checking with IBM to get that i would have to sink
an additional $1500 (compared to HP/Dell, which is why i mentioned
them and not IBM).

The suggestions are great but i am trying to keep it below $2k but
with the afore mentioned amenities.

See my [FS] post in this NG for brand new 1.5GHz PentiumM T40s for $1450
shipped in the US, slightly higher overseas.

You'd need to get an outboard DVD burner, but they're widely available, and
the USB2.0 port on the T40 is more than fast enough to handle one.

Email me at James at thinkpads dot com if interested.

Regards,

James

Old March 30th, 2004, 09:54 AM
Jeroen Wijnands

Gaikokujin Kyofusho wrote:

(Gaikokujin Kyofusho) wrote in message . com...
Scuzati va rog, Eu nu stiu Romana prea bine, asa am scris in Engleza;
multumesc.

Hi, I will be working in eastern Europe (Moldova) for awhile and want
to get a computer that can be fixed if it breaks down. The problem is
even the really large companies (dell/HP) don't have support there. I
am looking for something that i can preferably buy here (the US) but
get repaired over there. The closest i can seem to get is buying a HP
in Romania (easily accessible country next door) and getting support
that way but that is not the most desirable option. Any globe
trotters out there with some words or wisdom? Any
help/advice/commentary would be greatly appreciated!

Hey, thanks for all the input. I am a total believer in thinkpads
(have an old 240x that is still going strong) but i need a strong
multimedia desktop replacement (two biggest things are fast processor
and DVD burner). I checking with IBM to get that i would have to sink
an additional $1500 (compared to HP/Dell, which is why i mentioned
them and not IBM).

The suggestions are great but i am trying to keep it below $2k but
with the afore mentioned amenities.

Still I'd say go for an IBM. I've done support for 40 very mobile sale
persons, all equiped with IBMs. Common problem was the damn things
getting stolen, not breaking down.

Should something happen the big advantage of IBM is that you can
download the field service manuals.

Main thing with the thinkpad series was the backup and cmos batteries
wearing out but those are quite easily replaced.

--
Groeten/Regards
Jeroen Wijnands

Old April 1st, 2004, 08:43 PM
Ken Tough

devil wrote:

On Tue, 23 Mar 2004 08:12:36 +0000, freeda wrote:
Your quest is probably for an unrealizeable goal. Some choices may be
better than others, but when you get into Eastern Europe, parts of Asia,
parts of South America or most of Africa, a better strategy may be to
make service availability second to underlying reliability. In that
case, for my money, you should stick to an IBM Thinkpad

Go for a Thinkpad. They are not the fastest or the best value for money, but
they are tough as old boots and ultra reliable.
I used to have one for work a few years back and it got thrown about,
dropped, drinks spilt etc, and never let me down once.

Agreed. Get an X-series one. Again, not the fastest, but the lightest.

Currently typing on an IBM Thinkpad T23, in s.africa. I certainly
concur, and would add that as far as the first comment above, you're
most likely to get IBM service anywhere in the world than any other
manufacturer. Here in S.africa there's a service centre about 20 mins
away who will give me warranty service 1.5 yrs after purchase in the UK.
Good stuff.

The 'T' series has a titanium case, and the reason I bought it was for
robustness and reliability. It is great.

--
Ken Tough
Old April 1st, 2004, 08:46 PM
Ken Tough

Gaikokujin Kyofusho wrote:

Hey, thanks for all the input. I am a total believer in thinkpads
(have an old 240x that is still going strong) but i need a strong
multimedia desktop replacement (two biggest things are fast processor
and DVD burner). I checking with IBM to get that i would have to sink
an additional $1500 (compared to HP/Dell, which is why i mentioned
them and not IBM).

The suggestions are great but i am trying to keep it below $2k but
with the afore mentioned amenities.

I have seen a price for my T23 (DVD/CD-RW and PIII) as low as 500
pounds, but you have to buy them 'off market' as they're the older
versions. You won't get as much warranty but the reliability is
still there. I bought this one for 1200 GBP a year and a half ago,
so that's already less than $2k.

--
Ken Tough