Travelling in San Francisco area without rental car?

Old June 4th, 2004, 11:36 PM
Dominic

Default Travelling in San Francisco area without rental car?

Hi there. I'm planning a vacation to San Francisco area in August. I
will go with my wife and my 3-year-old daughter. We plan to stay there
for 7 days or so. We will go to sight-seeing attractions (possibly
including theme park) around San Francisco.

If possible, we'd like to avoid the extra cost of car rental, parking
and gas. Do you think that we enjoy the vacation there without rental
car? Is the public transit system good enough to support that? How
about shuttle bus? Since we will go with our small kid, we don't want
to walk too far to get to bus stop and then wait at the bus stop for
an hour. Do you think that this will happen?

If we decide to go without rental car, which area should we pick for
the hotel? Downtown? SFO airport area? Fisherman's wharf? South of
Market?

Thanks for any suggestion
Dom
Old June 4th, 2004, 11:59 PM
Peter L

"Dominic" wrote in message
om...
Hi there. I'm planning a vacation to San Francisco area in August. I
will go with my wife and my 3-year-old daughter. We plan to stay there
for 7 days or so. We will go to sight-seeing attractions (possibly
including theme park) around San Francisco.

Within the city you should be OK. In fact it's much better without a car.
You can supplement with taxi. However, if you want to go to a theme park
(not too many people go to SF to go to a theme park, BTW.), or anywhere
outside the city, you may have a bit of a problem.

If possible, we'd like to avoid the extra cost of car rental, parking
and gas. Do you think that we enjoy the vacation there without rental
car? Is the public transit system good enough to support that? How
about shuttle bus? Since we will go with our small kid, we don't want
to walk too far to get to bus stop and then wait at the bus stop for
an hour. Do you think that this will happen?

Possibly, but you can always catch a taxi.

If we decide to go without rental car, which area should we pick for
the hotel? Downtown? SFO airport area? Fisherman's wharf? South of
Market?

Downtown, Fisherman's wharf.

Thanks for any suggestion
Dom

Old June 5th, 2004, 01:56 AM
Lawrence Hughes

If you intend to stay largely within the City of San Francisco (and its
immediate suburban area) then no rental car is necessary. The City has one
of the country's better public transportation systems, with most routes
operating frequently enough so that a schedule is not necessary (such is
also the case with the buses which serve Oakland and Berkeley). Most
suburban areas have regular bus seervice during the day, but they could be
inconvenient to the extent that they operate on 30 to 60 minute headway
intervals. Regional rail systems, including Caltrain and BART, provide
quicker access to suburban areas.

Virtually any hotel in the City of San Francisco will be convenient to its
public transportation system. Hotels closest to the City's Financial
District or Union Square are most convenient to the public transit routes
serving suburban areas.

A rental vehicle is most useful if your plans include leisurly drives
through the countryside, such as a loop through the winery areas (e.g.,
Napa or Sonoma counties). Rental vehicles are least useful for touring
within the City itself, as traffic is dense, pedestrians are numerous, and
the hills can be challenging to out-of-town motorists.

From San Francisco's airport, there are direct buses (Samtrans), trains
(BART), and taxis which go into San Francisco. Travel is somewhat longer
from Oakland's airport, where you will likely need to take a short bus or
taxi ride from the air passenger terminal to the adjacent train (BART)
station.

As you research your trip, and make decisions about specific destinations,
then you'll get a better sense on whether or not you can completely
dispense with a rental vehicle.

Old June 5th, 2004, 02:24 AM
Patty Winter

Paramount's Great America is right on a light-rail route, and
you can transfer in Mountain View from the CalTrain to the
VTA trolley. (I.e., take CalTrain from SF to MV, take the
trolley from MV to Great America.)

Someone else might have better information about Marine World,
but I think your only public-transit alternative there is bus.
(Maybe train? Maybe ferry?)

Still, as others have said, I'd really recommend a rental car
for the days you want to venture outside of San Francisco.

Patty

Old June 5th, 2004, 06:24 AM
Susan Wachob

To get from the airport to any address in San Francisco door to door is
to take a shuttle. They just come to the shuttle pickup area outside the
terminals and you tell them what address you're going to and they tell
you which to get on. Costs about $12 per person- don't know about your
child. They even take credit cards. No need for a reservation- just show
up. Couldn't be easier!

Susan

Old June 5th, 2004, 10:19 AM
Icono Clast

(Dominic) wrote:
Hi there. I'm planning a vacation to San Francisco area

How you define that? The San Francisco Bay Area that's more than six
thousand square miles and more than six million people? If so, you
need a car!

We will go to sight-seeing attractions

For help in deciding what to see, please visit
http://geocities.com/iconoc/Articles/Sights.html at the site at
Right in the sig.

(possibly including theme park) around San Francisco.

Our amusement park is gone but there are two others, in opposite
directions, farther than thirty miles from City Hall. Which to visit?
Ask on rec.roller-coaster.

Our public transportation is excellent.

which area should we pick for the hotel?

If you're staying here, it depends on what you want to do and how much
you're willing to spend. Generally speaking, downtown hotels are more
expensive than those South o' the Slot but a few of those are luxury
establishments. There are, however, economical hotels mixed in with
the fancy joints.

SFO airport area?

If you're visiting the San Francisco Bay Area, that would be OK. If
you're coming here, it's very far away, almost thirteen miles from
City Hall, and would take at least twenty minutes by car. It's
extremely inconvenient.

Fisherman's wharf?

It would not be my choice but many travellers enjoy staying there.
A San Franciscan in 47.335 mile² San Francisco
http://geocities.com/dancefest/ http://geocities.com/iconoc/
ICQ: http://wwp.mirabilis.com/19098103 IClast at SFbay Net
Old June 5th, 2004, 01:47 PM
New Yorker

In addition to the public transit system and private airport shuttles noted
by other posters--and both of which I found worked fine, as in many American
cities there are tour bus lines that stop at all the major hotels and will
take you to many major "out of town" attractions, such as the Muir Woods
(red wood trees), Napa Valley, and even Yosemite (I DON'T recommend such a
long bus trip with a young child). Among other sources look at
http://www.graylinesanfrancisco.com/; they are not necessarily cheap
(although children under 5 are free), but I was pleased with their service
when I used them since I too was avoiding a car for what was largely an
in-town trip.

om...

Old June 5th, 2004, 02:43 PM
Len

Hi there. I'm planning a vacation to San Francisco area in August. I
will go with my wife and my 3-year-old daughter. We plan to stay there
for 7 days or so. We will go to sight-seeing attractions (possibly
including theme park) around San Francisco.

Chose the theme park and will tell you means of transport. To much to
see in seven days.
Within The City, no car will be needed. Public trans and taxi will
suffice. The City IS a theme park, except with kids it can be nasty
because of our politics and other bums on the street.

If possible, we'd like to avoid the extra cost of car rental, parking
and gas. Do you think that we enjoy the vacation there without rental
car? Is the public transit system good enough to support that? How
about shuttle bus? Since we will go with our small kid, we don't want
to walk too far to get to bus stop and then wait at the bus stop for
an hour. Do you think that this will happen?

Techno bent kids 8 or 9 years old will enjoy, on the cheap, Palace of
Fine Arts Science exhibit, while you and sweetie can walk around
outside and see spectacular Golden Grate Sites. Wear you all out.
Shuttle from the airport to your hotel in The City.

If we decide to go without rental car, which area should we pick for
the hotel? Downtown? SFO airport area? Fisherman's wharf? South of
Market?

Fisherman's Wharf is ideal and expensive for no car and sights. South
of Market is great only after you see the movies Dirty Harry and Death
Wish, all 12 of them, and pack clips with your Sig.
But have fun.
Wine country stuff is crap with kids. Alcatraz is cool if you want to
spend prison time and explanations to children, expensive and tiring
for them. Take a Bay Cruise as they will love that. From the Ferry
Building to Larkspur or Angel Island (for a hike). 45 minutes, cheap,
and beautiful views.
SF is, on the whole, not a small-kid-friendly-in-seven-days-town. They
get tired so easily, depending on the smallness. Eight years old older
and not whiney is great for this town. Four years and younger, does
not matter what town.
==

-Blessed are they who have nothing to say
and who cannot be persuaded to say it.
Old June 7th, 2004, 04:37 PM
Shawn Hearn

In article ,
(Dominic) wrote:

Hi there. I'm planning a vacation to San Francisco area in August. I
will go with my wife and my 3-year-old daughter. We plan to stay there
for 7 days or so. We will go to sight-seeing attractions (possibly
including theme park) around San Francisco.

If possible, we'd like to avoid the extra cost of car rental, parking
and gas. Do you think that we enjoy the vacation there without rental
car? Is the public transit system good enough to support that? How
about shuttle bus? Since we will go with our small kid, we don't want
to walk too far to get to bus stop and then wait at the bus stop for
an hour. Do you think that this will happen?

If we decide to go without rental car, which area should we pick for
the hotel? Downtown? SFO airport area? Fisherman's wharf? South of
Market?

Speaking as someone who has visited San Fran several times, both with a
rental car and without one, I can tell you from personal experience that
having a rental car causes far more problems than it solves. The cost to
park the car at any decent area will be considerable; around $30 per
day. Most hotels in San Francisco do not offer free parking. Traffic
driving around San Francisco is horrendous. With the availability of an
excellent public transportation system in San Francisco, there is really
no need for most tourists to rent a car while visiting there. The public
transportation system in Sanfrancisco is among the best in the world, I
think.

You will spend more time looking for parking places, and paying for
them, and walking to/from your car, and getting stuck in heavy traffic
and figuring out insane traffic patterns in the city than you will by
using public transportation. You don't need a car to go from the airport
to your hotel; there are plenty of shuttle services and other
transportation options. Just do a web search for something like "San
Francisco public transportation" and you'll find tons of information.