Traveling with just one bag, which bag?

Old August 2nd, 2006, 06:42 PM posted to rec.travel.air,alt.travel,rec.travel.misc
RPSinha

Default Traveling with just one bag, which bag?

I am going to experiment with doing away with checked luggage and try
traveling with just one carry-on. This will be for a few weeks, a few
countries, everything from planes and trains to back country buses.

So this bag needs to be pretty versatile: strong, light, easy to
organize etc, and esistant to dust and water.

Do you have a recommendation for just the right bag?

I found two intriguing suggestions in http://www.onebag.com/bags.html :
the Red Oxx Air Boss and Tough traveler Tri-Zip. Both are about $225.

Do you have any expereince with either? Or, do you have a cheaper
recommendation? Thanks.
Old August 2nd, 2006, 08:09 PM posted to rec.travel.air,alt.travel,rec.travel.misc
werty

RPSinha wrote:
I am going to experiment with doing away with checked luggage and try
traveling with just one carry-on. This will be for a few weeks, a few
countries, everything from planes and trains to back country buses.

So this bag needs to be pretty versatile: strong, light, easy to
organize etc, and esistant to dust and water.

Do you have a recommendation for just the right bag?

I found two intriguing suggestions in http://www.onebag.com/bags.html :
the Red Oxx Air Boss and Tough traveler Tri-Zip. Both are about $225.

Do you have any expereince with either? Or, do you have a cheaper
recommendation? Thanks.

OFF TOPIC ..... On July 13 08:25 i boarded China Air to
BKK to TPE to LAX with a check in of

84.5 lbs .. No problems , no charges !

later on that day in Los Angeles ........
But 1715 E. 9Th st Greyhound charged me $56 ... and then said
they'd
notify me so i could load it on the same bus i was on .
They lied , i had to get out of line and chase it down .....

Damned Affirmative Action loser / driver Hilda Alvarez
tossed me off the FlyAway bus in LA .
She tried to scam me with obviously bad info , so i told her
Luddite corpse so ... She called the police !
Her boss at Union Station called me a trouble maker for exposing
her malicious plot to cause me trouble .
I offered to hit him in his lying mouth ....

Old August 2nd, 2006, 08:22 PM posted to rec.travel.air,alt.travel,rec.travel.misc
james

A backpack and a messenger back. Backpack stays at the hotel,
messenger back I used when walking around various cities.

Roll your shirts, they don't get wrinkled, folded shirts can easily
slip into the messenger bag -- worked for me for years...

www.timbuk2.com

Old August 3rd, 2006, 03:35 AM posted to rec.travel.air,alt.travel,rec.travel.misc
(PeteCresswell)

Per RPSinha:
Do you have a recommendation for just the right bag?

I found two intriguing suggestions in http://www.onebag.com/bags.html :
the Red Oxx Air Boss and Tough traveler Tri-Zip. Both are about $225.

Do you have any expereince with either? Or, do you have a cheaper
recommendation? Thanks.

No experience, no recommendations - but intuitively, I'd consider some sort of
real-world-usable/ergonomic shoulder strap option to be essential.
--
PeteCresswell
Old August 3rd, 2006, 07:38 AM posted to rec.travel.air,alt.travel,rec.travel.misc
-L.[_1_]

james wrote:
A backpack and a messenger back. Backpack stays at the hotel,
messenger back I used when walking around various cities.

Roll your shirts, they don't get wrinkled, folded shirts can easily
slip into the messenger bag -- worked for me for years...

Yep! That's exactly what I did when was single with no kids. My
backpack lasted over 10 years travelling with me at least every month.

-L.

Old August 3rd, 2006, 01:56 PM posted to rec.travel.air,alt.travel,rec.travel.misc
-hh

RPSinha wrote:
I am going to experiment with doing away with checked luggage and try
traveling with just one carry-on. This will be for a few weeks, a few
countries, everything from planes and trains to back country buses.

Be aware that to go with any single carry-on bag during any trip longer
than a week will necessitate washing your clothes en route.

... Both are about $225.

Do you have any expereince with either? Or, do you have a cheaper
recommendation? Thanks.

Rick Steves Convertable carry-on bag; $99.

http://travelstore.ricksteves.com/catalog/index.cfm?fuseaction=product&theParentId=8&id=139

-hh

Old August 3rd, 2006, 02:18 PM posted to rec.travel.air,alt.travel,rec.travel.misc
RPSinha

-hh wrote:

: Rick Steves Convertable carry-on bag; $99.
: http://travelstore.ricksteves.com/catalog/index.cfm?fuseaction=product&theParentId=8&id=139

Thanks. Looks good and, and while quality cannot be judged by photos,
the price is certainly right as the others (Red Oxx Air Boss and Tough
traveler Tri-Zip) are 200+.

The only concern I have is that it seems to be a backpack. I tend to
carry my bag as a shoulder bag. Does it have storng comfortable straps
for that purpose? I can buy the strap, but it still needs to have the
proper hardware (hooks etc).

BTW, nobody here had any experience with Red Oxx Air Boss and Tough
Traveler Tri-Zip?
Old August 3rd, 2006, 03:10 PM posted to rec.travel.air,alt.travel,rec.travel.misc
[email protected][_1_]

RPSinha wrote:
[snip]
BTW, nobody here had any experience with Red Oxx Air Boss and Tough
Traveler Tri-Zip?

No, but this group is lightly used and has a high percentage of
"business" travelers who have different requirements than you
expressed.
I hesitate to suggest some of the region specific groups, but some of
the
asia area groups might have folks that have the kinds of experience you
seek. South American groups might also apply.

Old August 3rd, 2006, 03:30 PM posted to rec.travel.air,alt.travel,rec.travel.misc
RPSinha

Default Which colors are good/bad for rugged travel?

As I mentioned in a previous post I am switching to "one bag" travel
style, so the bag has to be light, strong, and provide for
organization. I am considering the Red Oxx Air Boss and Tough traveler
Tri-Zip recommended in http://www.onebag.com/bags.html (both around
$225). Rick Steves Convertable ($99) was also recommended,
http://travelstore.ricksteves.com/ca...ction=product&
theParentId=8&id=139 .

While I mull these over, I would like to ask the experienced travelers
here if you find any particular *colors* either very good or not so
good for rugged travel? Generally I like bright colors which will stand
out on the arrival carousel if was forced to check it in, but I also
want a color that will age well in travel thru urban as well rural 3rd
world areas. (My "one bag" is likely to take more beating than if it
had been just one of several bags with me.)

The Red Oxx comes in 12 colors, for example:

http://www.redoxx.com/catalog/carry-on/p_91018-air-boss.html
Old August 3rd, 2006, 03:46 PM posted to rec.travel.air,alt.travel,rec.travel.misc
RPSinha

" wrote:

: I hesitate to suggest some of the region specific groups, but some of
: the asia area groups might have folks that have the kinds of experience
: you seek. South American groups might also apply.

Thanks, I will repost to those groups.