Smart Casual -RCI - second try

Old June 28th, 2004, 09:20 PM
John & Beverly

Default Smart Casual -RCI - second try

Thank you for your responses, but nobody answered my question.

I have been on 14 cruises, I know how to dress for formal, smart casual and
casual nights.

But some Cruise Lines have discontinued smart casual (semi formal) nights.

Does anyone have actual knowledge of of the current dress suggestions for
the Legend of the Seas?
Is it 2 formail 5 casual or 2 formal, 1 smart casual, 4 casual.

I have checked the website, but I want current information.

Thank you,

John

Old June 28th, 2004, 10:27 PM
HDawson228

Have you called your TA with the question?
Old June 28th, 2004, 11:18 PM
Rosalie B.

"John & Beverly" wrote:

Thank you for your responses, but nobody answered my question.

I was about to say that too - never heard such a bunch of non-helpful

I have been on 14 cruises, I know how to dress for formal, smart casual and
casual nights.

But some Cruise Lines have discontinued smart casual (semi formal) nights.

Does anyone have actual knowledge of of the current dress suggestions for
the Legend of the Seas?
Is it 2 formail 5 casual or 2 formal, 1 smart casual, 4 casual.

I have checked the website, but I want current information.

Thank you,

John

grandma Rosalie
Old June 29th, 2004, 01:57 AM
MMB

Hi,

13 cruises on RCI and the dress code seems to have unofficially changed.
When I went on my first RCI cruises, Smart Casual was just that. Everyone
seemed to go by the suggested dress for the evening, but in recent years
that seems to have changed. We were on the Legend OTS this past December
and Smart Casual and Casual were basically the same thing. We saw a few
people wearing jackets on Smart Casual night but most of the other
passengers were in polo shirts and casual pants or sundresses.

So, the cruise lines suggestions have not changed but if you wear casual
clothes on Smart Casual you certainly will not be alone.

Old June 29th, 2004, 05:38 AM
StephenM

I always thought they said 'smart' casual to stop people wearing clothes
that would be more appropriate for painting the dining room, not eating
there.

smart casual = casual (but smart).
semi-formal = jacket and tie (but I think has gone the way of the dodo).
formal = jacket and tie (or for those who regularly dress for dinner at
home, then tux or dinner jacket).

Women get to wear whatever they what on any evening and usually have the
(dress)sense to get it right.

Stephen

Old June 30th, 2004, 03:31 AM
StephenM

INFORMAL???
Is that another word for Semi-formal or casual??

On cruises lately, I'm down to two styles:
1. Casual - and I try to keep it smart. Something with a collar and long
trousers (not denim).
2. Jacket, Tie, good pair of trousers and leather shoes.

Even on formal nights, I fit with about half of the dining room. I do try
to wear something that doesn't make a mockery of the formal night and people
who want to keep that special, but I could no more wear formal kit than I
could Elizabethan dress.

I still think most women get this right and someone wearing a 'church' dress
with cardigan, is probably making an effort and that's is fine by me.

Stephen

"RTCReferee" wrote in message

Hey, you forgot "informal.;-)

Women get to wear whatever they what on any evening and usually have the
(dress)sense to get it right.

You haven't seen some of the dresses we've noticed.
Lightweight knee length "church" dresses worn with Cardigan sweaters?
I'm not sure what category I'd put those in, but it sure isn't formal.

Old June 30th, 2004, 03:39 AM
Howie

StephenM wrote:

INFORMAL???
Is that another word for Semi-formal or casual??

"Informal" is jacket and tie on cruise ships (if you like). I have
never seen "semi-formal."

Howie

Old June 30th, 2004, 09:19 AM
Midwest Jim

You're mistaken. A smart casual is not the same thing as semi formal.
Smart casual doesn't require a jacket while semi formal does.