Mastercard ATM problems: Warning!

Old May 15th, 2004, 03:51 AM
EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)

Default Mastercard ATM problems: Warning!

S Viemeister wrote:

Dan K wrote:

Yes, but the only ATM card that Charter One issues is their Mastercard
debit card. So if you are a customer of theirs, you have no choice.
Next trip I plan to get a pure ATM card from a different bank.

My bank automatically 'upgraded' me to a debit card. I insisted on having
it changed back to a 'plain vanilla' ATM card, even though the first few
people I spoke to, insisted it was impossible and claimed that 'all our
cards are debit cards now'.

If they have enough customers change banks in protest, I suspect they
may change their policy again. At least in large cities in the U.S.,
you have many banks advertising for your business on the radio - so long
as there are choices out there, no one has to stay with a bank whose
policies they dislike.
Old May 15th, 2004, 09:01 AM
emeryt

I called my bank's mastercard and they told me their are no
restrictions in Europe as far as they know. I did learn some other
interesting facts however....VISA and MC will charge a 1% conversion
fee. Most of my banks will not add any additional conversion fees,
but US Bank National Association ND told me they will add an
additional 3% conversion fee. Obviously, that tells me which card not
to use.

TATA...

(Dan K) wrote in message . com...
The ATM card issued by my bank (Charter One) is a Mastercard. I have
always used it as an ATM card in Europe with no problems. Last week I
was in Rome, Italy, and went to use it to get cash, and was told by
the ATM machine "Card not valid for international transactions." I
tried many different ATM machines, and kept getting the same type of
message. Fortunately, I had brought some travelers checks along, so I
cashed those.

I got back yesterday, and called my bank to ask if they had any idea
why I had problems. "Oh, yes" said the customer service rep. "We've
blocked the use of Mastercard in a number of countries!" Apparently,
due to fraud problems, the Mastercards can't be used in many
countries, including Italy, France, Germany, Spain, Japan, China, and
a dozen others. In some countries the restriction was for PIN
applications only (like ATM machines), in other countries (incuding
all the ones I listed above) the cards couldn't be used for anything,
even as a credit card. It wasn't clear if this was a Charter One
policy, or a Mastercard policy; one rep said it was a general
Mastercard policy, another rep didn't know.

Therefo If you are planning a trip to Europe or Asia, and plan on
using a Mastercard ATM card (or any ATM card for that matter), call
your bank first, and confirm that you can use it. And have a backup
plan for getting cash, such as traveler checks or an alternate ATM
card.

Message to Charter One: Thanks for not bothering to let your customers
know about this policy!!!

Happy trails.
Dan

Old May 15th, 2004, 03:00 PM
Alfred Molon

S Viemeister wrote:

My bank automatically 'upgraded' me to a debit card. I insisted on having
it changed back to a 'plain vanilla' ATM card, even though the first few
people I spoke to, insisted it was impossible and claimed that 'all our
cards are debit cards now'.

Is there a difference between a debit card and an ATM card ? Credit
cards give you a credit and you can pay back in rates, but debit cards
deduct the amount instantly or within a few days from your account.
--

Alfred Molon

http://www.molon.de/Galleries.htm - Photos from Myanmar, Brunei,
Malaysia, Thailand, Laos, Cambodia, Nepal, Egypt, Austria, Budapest and
Portugal
Old May 15th, 2004, 03:03 PM
Alfred Molon

emeryt wrote:
I did learn some other
interesting facts however....VISA and MC will charge a 1% conversion
fee.

One more reason not to use credit cards to withdraw money. Credit card
companies routinely charge this 1% conversion fee if you use the card
outside the European Union.

Old May 15th, 2004, 04:04 PM
B Vaughan

On Sat, 15 May 2004 16:00:21 +0200, Alfred Molon
wrote:

S Viemeister wrote:

My bank automatically 'upgraded' me to a debit card. I insisted on having
it changed back to a 'plain vanilla' ATM card, even though the first few
people I spoke to, insisted it was impossible and claimed that 'all our
cards are debit cards now'.

Is there a difference between a debit card and an ATM card ? Credit
cards give you a credit and you can pay back in rates, but debit cards
deduct the amount instantly or within a few days from your account.

Debit cards can be used to make purchases, as if they were a credit
card, without entering a PIN. ATM cards are normally used to withdraw
cash from an ATM, although they may also be used to make purchases in
shops that have a machine that swipes the card and allows the
entering of a PIN.

-----------
Barbara Vaughan
My email address is my first initial followed by my surname at libero dot it
Old May 15th, 2004, 04:34 PM
Frank F. Matthews

Dan K wrote:

Alfred Molon wrote in message m...

Dan K wrote:

The ATM card issued by my bank (Charter One) is a Mastercard. I have
always used it as an ATM card in Europe with no problems. Last week I
was in Rome, Italy, and went to use it to get cash, and was told by
the ATM machine "Card not valid for international transactions." I
tried many different ATM machines, and kept getting the same type of
message. Fortunately, I had brought some travelers checks along, so I
cashed those.

Mastercard is a credit card. It's better to use a true ATM card
(Maestro), which charges lower fees than a credit card. With my Maestro
card I have never had problems withdrawing cash from ATMs.

Yes, but the only ATM card that Charter One issues is their Mastercard
debit card. So if you are a customer of theirs, you have no choice.
Next trip I plan to get a pure ATM card from a different bank. Dan

The "pure ATM" vs debit card thing does not matter. Your problem is
simply Charter One. Find a better back. Even if it's just an account
that you use for ATM services. Try federal credit unions or small banks
for better services.

Old May 15th, 2004, 04:35 PM
Stephen Ellenson

"Tom Bellhouse" wrote in message

"Mark Fagan" wrote in
message
It's always a good idea to call your credit card

and ATM card providers
before going on a trip. A change in use

patterns might trigger an
anti-theft hold on your card, in which case you

then have to call home and
get it unblocked. Some companies will only do

this if you call from your
home phone, for security reasons. Obviously

tough to do in the middle of
Provence or where ever!

My card was blocked in Turkey. I was able to call
the 800 number on the back of the card, identify
myself, explain that it was "really me" in Turkey,
and get the block lifted. Much easier to d it
before leaving home, tho.

Tom

Ditto what others are saying, I always call my credit/atm card companies
before an international trip to tell them where I will be using the card(s).
And they always say that it is a good idea to call.

Old May 15th, 2004, 04:37 PM
Frank F. Matthews

As far as I can tell there is no difference in machine access or
liability in the US. Debit cards can be used for purchases and,
sometimes, cash access outside ATMs.

Old May 15th, 2004, 04:39 PM
Frank F. Matthews

It apparently is one bank not Mastercard. You're right they won't
abandon the market. Especially since there are few reasons for
travelers to choose any particular bank.

A Mate wrote:

Sure you weren't over your credit limit!!!?

I can't imagine Mastercard wiping out so many large markets in one foul
swoop!!!!

'fess up, Dan!!