Mastercard ATM problems: Warning!

Old May 15th, 2004, 05:03 PM
Blue Men of Morocco

Default Mastercard ATM problems: Warning!

one suggestion...
If you have access online or a telephone number to call, you can sometimes
have your card unblocked while you are in another country. Several of my
clients have had to do that while traveling in Morocco..

E. Elena Hall, Co Director
Blue Men of Morocco Co.
Visit us in Morocco!
http://www.bluemenofmorocco.com

"Dan K" wrote in message
om...
The ATM card issued by my bank (Charter One) is a Mastercard. I have
always used it as an ATM card in Europe with no problems. Last week I
was in Rome, Italy, and went to use it to get cash, and was told by
the ATM machine "Card not valid for international transactions." I
tried many different ATM machines, and kept getting the same type of
message. Fortunately, I had brought some travelers checks along, so I
cashed those.

I got back yesterday, and called my bank to ask if they had any idea
why I had problems. "Oh, yes" said the customer service rep. "We've
blocked the use of Mastercard in a number of countries!" Apparently,
due to fraud problems, the Mastercards can't be used in many
countries, including Italy, France, Germany, Spain, Japan, China, and
a dozen others. In some countries the restriction was for PIN
applications only (like ATM machines), in other countries (incuding
all the ones I listed above) the cards couldn't be used for anything,
even as a credit card. It wasn't clear if this was a Charter One
policy, or a Mastercard policy; one rep said it was a general
Mastercard policy, another rep didn't know.

Therefo If you are planning a trip to Europe or Asia, and plan on
using a Mastercard ATM card (or any ATM card for that matter), call
your bank first, and confirm that you can use it. And have a backup
plan for getting cash, such as traveler checks or an alternate ATM
card.

Message to Charter One: Thanks for not bothering to let your customers
know about this policy!!!

Happy trails.
Dan

Old May 15th, 2004, 05:17 PM
Miguel Cruz

Alfred Molon wrote:
Is there a difference between a debit card and an ATM card ? Credit
cards give you a credit and you can pay back in rates, but debit cards
deduct the amount instantly or within a few days from your account.

The big difference between debit cards and ATMs, at least in the USA, is
that debit cards can be used to make purchases without a PIN. For this
reason debit cards are quite dangerous to lose compared to credit cards;
even though you'll eventually get your money back, while things are
investigated you have no access to your money. And of course if you lose an
ATM card then people can't use it unless they have your PIN.

miguel
Old May 15th, 2004, 09:06 PM
JohnT

"B Vaughan" wrote in message
On Sat, 15 May 2004 16:00:21 +0200, Alfred Molon
wrote:

S Viemeister wrote:

My bank automatically 'upgraded' me to a debit card. I insisted on having
it changed back to a 'plain vanilla' ATM card, even though the first few
people I spoke to, insisted it was impossible and claimed that 'all our
cards are debit cards now'.

Is there a difference between a debit card and an ATM card ? Credit
cards give you a credit and you can pay back in rates, but debit cards
deduct the amount instantly or within a few days from your account.

Debit cards can be used to make purchases, as if they were a credit
card, without entering a PIN. ATM cards are normally used to withdraw
cash from an ATM, although they may also be used to make purchases in
shops that have a machine that swipes the card and allows the
entering of a PIN.

-----------
Barbara Vaughan

I have two UK Debit Cards. The first, issued by Cahoot, is a Visa Debit Card and
it also has Link and Delta logos. I have used this extensively to pay for goods
and hotel accommodation throughout Europe and the USA. The second card is a
NatWest Servicecard 250 which has Switch, Maestro and Cirrus logos. I haven't
used this for goods and services outside the UK but have no reason to think it
wouldn't be accepted. And with both cards I can, of course, get cash from any
ATM.

JohnT

Old May 15th, 2004, 09:40 PM
Hawth Hill

in article , JohnT at
wrote on 05/15/2004 9:06 PM:

I have two UK Debit Cards. The first, issued by Cahoot, is a Visa Debit Card
and
it also has Link and Delta logos. I have used this extensively to pay for
goods
and hotel accommodation throughout Europe and the USA. The second card is a
NatWest Servicecard 250 which has Switch, Maestro and Cirrus logos. I haven't
used this for goods and services outside the UK but have no reason to think it
wouldn't be accepted. And with both cards I can, of course, get cash from any
ATM.

I have two U.S. VISA credit cards. As well as a Brit VISA credit card and a
debit card.

For what it's worth, I've never had any trouble with any of them while
travelling. The ATMs have always honored them.

Yet, here in my little town in England, when I bought my wife a ring for our
anniversary, my card was dishonored, . . and was also dishonored in
subsequent days, even for routine purchases, such as at the local
supermarket.

My telephone call to the company disclosed that my purchase of the ring, for
what the company's computer thought was an "unusual" amount, set off alarm
bells, and got my card flagged.

The lesson I learned was that, if I'm expecting to make unusual purchases,
in unusual places, it wouldn't hurt to give the company a heads-up by phone
in advance.

After all, we all want to contribute to the effort to fight credit card
fraud.

HH

Old May 15th, 2004, 09:44 PM
Keith Willshaw

"Miguel Cruz" wrote in message
Alfred Molon wrote:
Is there a difference between a debit card and an ATM card ? Credit
cards give you a credit and you can pay back in rates, but debit cards
deduct the amount instantly or within a few days from your account.

The big difference between debit cards and ATMs, at least in the USA, is
that debit cards can be used to make purchases without a PIN. For this
reason debit cards are quite dangerous to lose compared to credit cards;
even though you'll eventually get your money back, while things are
investigated you have no access to your money. And of course if you lose

an
ATM card then people can't use it unless they have your PIN.

The banks are moving to chip and pin fpr debit cards too
so that paricular problem is a temporary one.

Keith

Old May 15th, 2004, 10:31 PM
EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)

Alfred Molon wrote:

S Viemeister wrote:

My bank automatically 'upgraded' me to a debit card. I insisted on having
it changed back to a 'plain vanilla' ATM card, even though the first few
people I spoke to, insisted it was impossible and claimed that 'all our
cards are debit cards now'.

Is there a difference between a debit card and an ATM card ? Credit
cards give you a credit and you can pay back in rates, but debit cards
deduct the amount instantly or within a few days from your account.

I may be mistaken, but it's my understanding that a "debit" card is used
like a normal credit card (for purchases only) but the purchase is
charged against your account as soon as the charge slip reaches your
bank. An ATM card is for obtaining cash (although in the U.S. it can
also be used for purchases, with or without "cash back", in many grocery
stores and fast food restaurants). If the two are combined, the card
can be used either as an ATM card or a credit card - I really don't see
any advantage to the consumer, but of course the bank gets its money
faster for merchandise charges made on a debit card, because it does not
need to send you a monthly statement in order to get paid.
Old May 15th, 2004, 10:33 PM
EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)

Alfred Molon wrote:

emeryt wrote:
I did learn some other
interesting facts however....VISA and MC will charge a 1% conversion
fee.

One more reason not to use credit cards to withdraw money. Credit card
companies routinely charge this 1% conversion fee if you use the card
outside the European Union.

And U.S. credit cards charge you interest from the date of withdrawal
until you make payment, whereas interest on purchases does not commence
until payment is past due.

--

Alfred Molon

http://www.molon.de/Galleries.htm - Photos from Myanmar, Brunei,
Malaysia, Thailand, Laos, Cambodia, Nepal, Egypt, Austria, Budapest and
Portugal

Old May 15th, 2004, 10:34 PM
B Vaughan

On Sat, 15 May 2004 16:17:42 GMT, Miguel Cruz wrote:

Alfred Molon wrote:
Is there a difference between a debit card and an ATM card ? Credit
cards give you a credit and you can pay back in rates, but debit cards
deduct the amount instantly or within a few days from your account.

The big difference between debit cards and ATMs, at least in the USA, is
that debit cards can be used to make purchases without a PIN. For this
reason debit cards are quite dangerous to lose compared to credit cards;
even though you'll eventually get your money back, while things are
investigated you have no access to your money. And of course if you lose an
ATM card then people can't use it unless they have your PIN.

Not only that, since the money is immediately subtracted from your
account, reporting the card stolen doesn't ensure you won't lose
considerable amounts of money. The safeguards are fewer, and even if
you eventually get your money back, you may have to wait quite a
while.

miguel

-----------
Barbara Vaughan
My email address is my first initial followed by my surname at libero dot it
Old May 15th, 2004, 10:42 PM
B Vaughan

On Sat, 15 May 2004 21:06:36 +0100, "JohnT"
wrote:

I have two UK Debit Cards. The first, issued by Cahoot, is a Visa Debit Card and
it also has Link and Delta logos. I have used this extensively to pay for goods
and hotel accommodation throughout Europe and the USA. The second card is a
NatWest Servicecard 250 which has Switch, Maestro and Cirrus logos. I haven't
used this for goods and services outside the UK but have no reason to think it
wouldn't be accepted. And with both cards I can, of course, get cash from any
ATM.

Do you have to use a PIN with the Switch card? If so it's what I would
call an ATM card. If not, it's a true debit card. I realize the term
"ATM card" is maybe misleading, as they can be used to purchase goods,
but it's the only way I know to distinguish those cards that require a
PIN for all functions. They are safer than a debit card.
-----------
Old May 16th, 2004, 12:11 AM
David Horne

wrote:

I have two UK Debit Cards. The first, issued by Cahoot, is a Visa Debit
Card and it also has Link and Delta logos. I have used this extensively
to pay for goods and hotel accommodation throughout Europe and the USA.
The second card is a NatWest Servicecard 250 which has Switch, Maestro
and Cirrus logos. I haven't used this for goods and services outside the
UK but have no reason to think it wouldn't be accepted. And with both
cards I can, of course, get cash from any ATM.

Do you have to use a PIN with the Switch card?

No, but see below.

If so it's what I would
call an ATM card. If not, it's a true debit card.
I realize the term
"ATM card" is maybe misleading, as they can be used to purchase goods,
but it's the only way I know to distinguish those cards that require a
PIN for all functions.

Many switch issuers are moving to a 'chip and pin' system, which many
countries are now adopting, or already have, so the distinction may be
moot after a while- i.e. you will need to use a PIN when using your
"debit card." There are a few stores in my area where, if you present a
switch card _with_ a chip, you will only be able to use the card upon
entering the PIN. So, my card is a "debit card" or an "ATM card"
depending on the store I'm in, according to your definition.

David

--
David Horne- www.davidhorne.net