Gregory highway

Old January 4th, 2005, 02:57 AM
Nigel Edwards

Default Gregory highway

My partner and I are travelling up to cairns next Sept, and as we have
travelled the coast road to Brisbane this time we thought we would go in
land.We would travel down to Charters Tower on the Kennedy highway and then
to Emerald on the Gregory highway.Has any one done this and what is there
to see?

Old January 4th, 2005, 05:30 AM
Jack

Contact Qld tourism, they will send you a booklet with routes, distances and
plces of interest.

http://www.queenslandtravel.com/menu_qtc.asp

phone on 13 88 33

Old January 5th, 2005, 04:55 AM
Ross

If you travel down the Kennedy stop (after the Forty Mile Scrub NP) at
UNDARA LAVA TUBES a.k.a. Undara Volcanic NP.

Although there are many lava tubes around the world these are the largest
and cave-like. The wild-life tour is also worth while if you are already
there.

There isn't a great deal to see down the Gregory Development road.

May I suggest that you do a little detour (some unsealed roads to traverse)
by driving towards Townsville and turn right (South) at Mingela.

From the highway to Ravenswood is about 40 kms. This is a old gold mining
town that turned into a Ghost Town but has resurrected some what since the
mining has recommenced. Worth a look around.

From Ravenswood you can take the road to the Burdekin Dam wall. If you can
get some local maps you should be able to find your way via the tracks back
to the Gregory.

We came in to the dam from Collinsville in June 2004. All the roads/tracks
are good in the dry. Shouldn't prove too difficult in a conventional car.
A "renter" might preclude you from the dirt, though.

Clermont is an interesting town. Another old gold town (mining long since
finished) that was all but washed away by a flood about 1916.

Just calculate your fuel supply if you take that route.

In case you're wondering how we got to Collinsville, we drove from Mackay up
to Eungella and then took the track across the hills to join up with the
Collinsville Development Road. You need a 4X4 for that track.

Enjoy!

Ross

Old January 6th, 2005, 11:52 AM
Frank Slootweg

Ross wrote:
[deleted]
May I suggest that you do a little detour (some unsealed roads to traverse)
by driving towards Townsville and turn right (South) at Mingela.

[deleted]

Please don't advise unsealed roads to foreigners, unless you also
indicate that they should have a 4WD car (or a *private* (i.e.
non-rental) one). All rental companies forbid you to take their normal
(2WD) cars on unsealed roads. If you do anyway, your insurance is void
and you are responsible for all resulting 'damage' (including (full)
cleaning, etc.).

The OP is from NZ and probably well aware of this, but most foreign
visitors are not, as the concept of unsealed roads is mostly foreign to
them.

Old January 6th, 2005, 12:05 PM
Jack

I have NEVER heard of rentals being banned from unsealed roads.

Show us some links to back up your claim

"Frank Slootweg" wrote in message
[deleted]

Old January 6th, 2005, 01:39 PM
Frank Slootweg

Jack wrote:
I have NEVER heard of rentals being banned from unsealed roads.

Show us some links to back up your claim

I don't see why I should do your homework for you, especially because,
as I wrote, such conditions are the *norm*, not the exception, but since
you ask so 'nicely', here is just *one* example:

[http://www.thrifty.com.au/Terms:]

T 3. USE OF VEHICLE
T (2) The Vehicle must not be used by You or by any Authorised Driver
T (unless authorised by Us in writing):
T d) On any unsealed road (being a road not sealed with a hard material
T such as tar, bitumen or concrete) unless the Vehicle is a 4WD in which
T case it may also be used on graded unsealed roads. No Vehicle (including
T 4WDs) may be used on off road conditions. Off road conditions include
T but not is limited to fire trails, beaches, sand, tracks, fields or
T paddocks.

So, now in return, *you* show us a (somewhat) major rental company
which does *not* have this condition.

"Frank Slootweg" wrote in message
[deleted]

Old January 8th, 2005, 03:06 PM

[...]