IATA bids farewell to paper tickets

Old August 27th, 2007, 05:38 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.air,rec.travel.asia
Alain Quai

Default IATA bids farewell to paper tickets

http://uk.biz.yahoo.com/27082007/325...r-tickets.html

GENEVA (Reuters) - The global airlines body IATA said on Monday it
had placed its last order for paper tickets, clearing the way for air
travel to be based entirely on electronic ticketing from June 1 next
year.

"In just 278 more days, the paper ticket will become a collector's
item," said Giovanni Bisignani, director general of the International
Air Transport Association.

The changeover from paper would not only cut airlines' costs by $9 for
every traveller but would also mean the industry -- criticised by
environmentalists for its part in global warming -- would save 50,000
mature trees a year, he added.

Bisignani did not say whether the $9 in cost savings would or should
be passed on to passengers.

Based in Geneva, IATA represents more than 240 airlines which operate
94 percent of scheduled international flights.

Non-IATA airlines, mainly low-cost carriers like the Irish Ryanair and
the British Easyjet, already have a paper-free ticket system where
travellers are registered in computers and present only an identity
document at check-in.

IATA launched its drive for so-called "e-ticketing" just over three
years ago and now 84 percent of travellers on IATA carriers fly
without paper tickets.

The airlines body says China, one of the fastest-growing markets for
air travel and host to next year's Olympic Games, is heading to be the
first country in the world to operate an entirely paper-free ticketing
system by the end of this year.

Old August 27th, 2007, 07:56 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.air,rec.travel.asia
Tom Peel[_5_]

Alain Quai schrieb:
http://uk.biz.yahoo.com/27082007/325...r-tickets.html

GENEVA (Reuters) - The global airlines body IATA said on Monday it
had placed its last order for paper tickets, clearing the way for air
travel to be based entirely on electronic ticketing from June 1 next
year.

"In just 278 more days, the paper ticket will become a collector's
item," said Giovanni Bisignani, director general of the International
Air Transport Association.

Does this mean the end of air travel for someone who doesn't have a
credit card and a PC?

T.
Old August 27th, 2007, 08:02 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.air,rec.travel.asia
Runge3

Default michaelnewport has plenty to post and nothing to say

could you bid ade once and for all ?

ups.com...

Old August 27th, 2007, 08:58 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.air,rec.travel.asia
AES

In article ,
Tom Peel wrote:

"In just 278 more days, the paper ticket will become a collector's
item," said Giovanni Bisignani, director general of the International
Air Transport Association.

Does this mean the end of air travel for someone who doesn't have a
credit card and a PC?

Travel agent (to make bookings and print the bar code document) and
driver's license or passport (for ID at the airport) are likely to be an
acceptable alternative.
Old August 27th, 2007, 10:13 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.air,rec.travel.asia
VS[_1_]

In article . com,
Alain Quai wrote:

GENEVA (Reuters) - The global airlines body IATA said on Monday it
had placed its last order for paper tickets, clearing the way for air
travel to be based entirely on electronic ticketing from June 1 next
year.

My, and it seems like only yesterday our resident licensed attorney,
Paul Tauger, was advising us that an e-ticket is not a written
contract, and that the statute of frauds precludes enforcement
of non-written contracts. I wonder if they changed the statute of
frauds since then, or if IATA is in violation.

Old August 27th, 2007, 10:41 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.air,rec.travel.asia
Martin Sylvester

"Magda" wrote in message
On Mon, 27 Aug 2007 20:56:56 +0200, in rec.travel.europe, Tom Peel

arranged some electrons, so they looked like this:

... Alain Quai schrieb:
[...]
... Does this mean the end of air travel for someone who doesn't have a
... credit card and a PC?
[...]

You'll need a printer, too.

Might be wise, but not necessarily essential. I've travelled a few times
with a passport containing a post-it note bearing an e-ticket booking
reference copied from the PC screen.

Martin.

--
11(F) Group Ops room - the Battle of Britain Bunker
I do not intend to imply that any views expressed above represent the policy

Old August 27th, 2007, 10:52 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.air,rec.travel.asia
[email protected]

On Aug 27, 5:13 pm, (VS) wrote:
In article . com,
Alain Quai wrote:

GENEVA (Reuters) - The global airlines body IATA said on Monday it
had placed its last order for paper tickets, clearing the way for air
travel to be based entirely on electronic ticketing from June 1 next
year.

My, and it seems like only yesterday our resident licensed attorney,
Paul Tauger, was advising us that an e-ticket is not a written
contract, and that the statute of frauds precludes enforcement
of non-written contracts.

E-tickets are written contracts. And even if they weren't, the
statute of frauds only precludes the enforcement of certain non-
written contracts, not all of them. IIRC a non-written contract for
services is still enforceable under the statute of frauds unless it is
impossible to perform the services in one year - so a non-written
contract for an airline flight would be enforceable under the statute
of frauds.

Old August 27th, 2007, 11:37 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.air,rec.travel.asia
VS[_1_]

In article . com,
wrote:

E-tickets are written contracts.

Is that right? Paul Tauger, our resident lawyer, spake onto us ignorant
laymen on many occasions that in his learned, licensed-attorney opinion,
an e-ticket is not a written contract, e.g.:
http://tinyurl.com/3xov8k

Are you suggesting that Paul Tauger, Esq., who is - as he never tires
of reminding all and sundry - a licensed attorney, is actually wrong
on a matter of law?!

Old August 28th, 2007, 02:23 AM posted to rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.air,rec.travel.asia
Brian[_1_]

On Mon, 27 Aug 2007 22:41:25 +0100, "Martin Sylvester"
wrote:

Might be wise, but not necessarily essential. I've travelled a few times
with a passport containing a post-it note bearing an e-ticket booking
reference copied from the PC screen.

Martin.

There have been a number of times when I've printed it out and then
someone at the airport has ignored it and reprinted it.

Old August 28th, 2007, 03:42 AM posted to rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.air,rec.travel.asia
Don Wiss

On Tue, 28 Aug 2007 01:47:44 GMT, Craig Welch wrote:

It's just a few years ago that I last had a ticket (international) that
was not only printed, but *hand written*.

I had one that was hand written just a couple months ago. This as I showed
up for my Malaysia Airlines international flight forgetting I had a paper
ticket and they made me buy another ticket, which they hand wrote. They
still haven't refunded my double payment and I'm having to dispute it with
my credit card company.

Don www.donwiss.com (e-mail link at home page bottom).