IATA bids farewell to paper tickets

Old August 28th, 2007, 07:30 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.air,rec.travel.asia
William Black

Default IATA bids farewell to paper tickets

"Doesn't Frequently Mop" wrote in
message ...
Make credence recognised that on Tue, 28 Aug 2007 12:22:13 GMT,
"William Black" has scripted:

"Craig Welch" wrote in message
Magda wrote:

You'll need a printer, too.

Not necessarily. I travel reasonably often without a printed copy of
anything that's ticket related.

Don't try it in India.

You can't get into the airport building without something printed...

India was the only place I managed to get a glimpse of what the guys
see when they swipe my passport. There was (surprisingly to me at
least) a big blown up picture of me, the exact same as on my passport!

Given this, how on earth do people make fake ones?

These days, with difficulty, if you want to cross an international border
anyway. If you want something that'll fool an employer into thinking you're
a real immigrant with real papers all you need is something that looks
right, or just a visa stamp that's a fake in a passport that's real, as
Jean Charles de Menezes had.

--
William Black

Time for tea.

Old August 28th, 2007, 07:42 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.air,rec.travel.asia
Doesn't Frequently Mop

Magda wrote:

You'll need a printer, too.

Not necessarily. I travel reasonably often without a printed copy of
anything that's ticket related.

Don't try it in India.

You can't get into the airport building without something printed...

India was the only place I managed to get a glimpse of what the guys
see when they swipe my passport. There was (surprisingly to me at
least) a big blown up picture of me, the exact same as on my passport!

Given this, how on earth do people make fake ones?
--
---
DFM - http://www.deepfriedmars.com
Old August 28th, 2007, 11:19 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.air,rec.travel.asia
Doesn't Frequently Mop

Make credence recognised that on Tue, 28 Aug 2007 18:30:54 GMT,
"William Black" has scripted:

Magda wrote:

You'll need a printer, too.

Not necessarily. I travel reasonably often without a printed copy of
anything that's ticket related.

Don't try it in India.

You can't get into the airport building without something printed...

India was the only place I managed to get a glimpse of what the guys
see when they swipe my passport. There was (surprisingly to me at
least) a big blown up picture of me, the exact same as on my passport!

Given this, how on earth do people make fake ones?

These days, with difficulty, if you want to cross an international border
anyway. If you want something that'll fool an employer into thinking you're
a real immigrant with real papers all you need is something that looks
right, or just a visa stamp that's a fake in a passport that's real, as
Jean Charles de Menezes had.

Bad example that one. It would've save his life if it was picked up
on!
--
---
Old August 28th, 2007, 11:31 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.air,rec.travel.asia
William Black

Magda wrote:

[...]

A really good example.

If he'd had legal papers and wasn't an illegal 'overstayer' he might have
shown up on the records and not got shot dead.

The problem overstayers have is that they can't afford to touch the system
anywhere because the immigration authorities might pick them up and put them
on the next plane home.

Their NI number, registration for medical treatment and name on the poll
tax papers means they're an easy to find target, unlike illegals, who
never get on the immigration people's radar.

--
William Black

Time for tea.

Old August 29th, 2007, 07:27 AM posted to rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.air,rec.travel.asia
DevilsPGD

In message Magda
wrote:

On Mon, 27 Aug 2007 22:41:25 +0100, in rec.travel.europe, "Martin Sylvester"
arranged some electrons, so they
looked like this:

... ... Alain Quai schrieb:
... [...]
... ... Does this mean the end of air travel for someone who doesn't have a
... ... credit card and a PC?
... [...]
... You'll need a printer, too.
... Might be wise, but not necessarily essential. I've travelled a few times
... with a passport containing a post-it note bearing an e-ticket booking
... reference copied from the PC screen.
... Martin.

You live dangerously, don't you?

I don't even bother doing that much, I just show up with my passport and
credit card, this is more then sufficient for the machines at the
airport to print off anything and everything they need.

It also uses a much smaller and lighter piece of paper then what I
generate at home, so is more environmentally sound.

I look forward to the day when the airline's systems can run solely on a
passport, if the traveler is so equipped, there is no reason why a
passport cannot be used at every stage of the game.

--
You can get more with a kind word and a 2x4 than just a kind word.
Old August 29th, 2007, 07:27 AM posted to rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.air,rec.travel.asia
DevilsPGD

In message Tom Peel
wrote:

Does this mean the end of air travel for someone who doesn't have a
credit card and a PC?

No, why would it? You can buy an e-ticket over the phone, and pay via
Western Union on AA already (and quite possibly others, I've never
tried. But then I have a credit card, printer, and whatever other
goodies I need)

People need to get over the concept that the piece of paper in their
hand has some meaning. It doesn't. It hasn't for a long time now.

--
You can get more with a kind word and a 2x4 than just a kind word.
Old August 29th, 2007, 08:29 AM posted to rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.air,rec.travel.asia
mrtravel[_3_]

Tom Peel wrote:

Alain Quai schrieb:

http://uk.biz.yahoo.com/27082007/325...r-tickets.html

GENEVA (Reuters) - The global airlines body IATA said on Monday it
had placed its last order for paper tickets, clearing the way for air
travel to be based entirely on electronic ticketing from June 1 next
year.

"In just 278 more days, the paper ticket will become a collector's
item," said Giovanni Bisignani, director general of the International
Air Transport Association.

Does this mean the end of air travel for someone who doesn't have a
credit card and a PC?

T.

Why? You can book etickets by phone, at the airport, and through TA's.

Old August 29th, 2007, 08:30 AM posted to rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.air,rec.travel.asia
mrtravel[_3_]

On Mon, 27 Aug 2007 20:56:56 +0200, in rec.travel.europe, Tom Peel

... Alain Quai schrieb:
... http://uk.biz.yahoo.com/27082007/325...r-tickets.html
... GENEVA (Reuters) - The global airlines body IATA said on Monday it
... had placed its last order for paper tickets, clearing the way for air
... travel to be based entirely on electronic ticketing from June 1 next
... year.
... "In just 278 more days, the paper ticket will become a collector's
... item," said Giovanni Bisignani, director general of the International
... Air Transport Association.
... Does this mean the end of air travel for someone who doesn't have a
... credit card and a PC?
... T.

You'll need a printer, too.

Why?