Seeing Wild Animals

Old April 25th, 2008, 02:45 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Rosalie B.

Default Seeing Wild Animals

I think the next grandchild I take will be a girl who will be 13 in
July 2009. We will probably travel in the summer of 2009 - mostly
likely June, because I don't think she's a good enough student to take
her out of school.

She is interested in animals (and boys of course). Ideally I'd take
her where my mom took her dad - on African safari. But I don't think
I want to go to Africa ATM. I'd like to stay in this hemisphere if
possible. I've been to Costa Rica and Belize. If that was the only
option, I'd go back, but I'd rather go somewhere different.

SO - What would be the best bet for a cruise in about June 2009 for
seeing animals with a young teen and her old grandmother?

Is there an Alaskan cruise that we could take? How about someplace in
Central or South America? Or the Galapagos? Or Hawaii?

Old April 27th, 2008, 09:16 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Brian K[_2_]

On 4/24/2008 9:45 PM Rosalie B. plucked Senior Frog's Magic Twanger and
said:
I think the next grandchild I take will be a girl who will be 13 in
July 2009. We will probably travel in the summer of 2009 - mostly
likely June, because I don't think she's a good enough student to take
her out of school.

She is interested in animals (and boys of course). Ideally I'd take
her where my mom took her dad - on African safari. But I don't think
I want to go to Africa ATM. I'd like to stay in this hemisphere if
possible. I've been to Costa Rica and Belize. If that was the only
option, I'd go back, but I'd rather go somewhere different.

SO - What would be the best bet for a cruise in about June 2009 for
seeing animals with a young teen and her old grandmother?

Is there an Alaskan cruise that we could take? How about someplace in
Central or South America? Or the Galapagos? Or Hawaii?

It's not a cruise, but you could do a land tour of Minnesota. In the
northern part of the state, there's the Gray Wolf research center.
There's an observation area where you can watch a family of wild wolves
socialize and interact with each other. In other parts of the state you
can watch black bears, from bear watching platforms. There are also
eagle watching locations. The state truly has many lakes. It is
possible to go fishing for trout or walleye in downtown Minneapolis. If
you go there stalking the wild mark down, she'll have bragging rights
for getting the deal of the century at Mall of America.

Check out this link: http://www.exploreminnesota.com/home.aspx

Also, there are several cruise lines that do Alaska cruises during the
Summer months. In fact that's the peak time for whale watching and
seeing other wild life. So, you can do an Alaska cruise, Royal
Caribbean would probably be a good one for a teenager. They have all
those activities like rock climbing walls and such. If it turns out
that she has a major seasickness problem that nothing will fix, then
maybe you might want to do Minnesota and mix it up between wildlife and
the Twin Cities.

--
________
Brian M. Kochera
Old April 28th, 2008, 03:28 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
[email protected]

On Apr 24, 6:45*pm, Rosalie B. wrote:
I think the next grandchild I take will be a girl who will be 13 in
July 2009. *We will probably travel in the summer of 2009 - mostly
likely June, because I don't think she's a good enough student to take
her out of school.

She is interested in animals (and boys of course). *Ideally I'd take
her where my mom took her dad - on African safari. *But I don't think
I want to go to Africa ATM. *I'd like to stay in this hemisphere if
possible. *I've been to Costa Rica and Belize. *If that was the only
option, I'd go back, but I'd rather go somewhere different.

SO - What would be the best bet for acruisein about June 2009 for
seeing animals with a young teen and her old grandmother?

Is there an Alaskancruisethat we could take? *How about someplace in
Central or South America? *Or theGalapagos? Or Hawaii?

I would recommend taking a cruise to the Galapagos because it is so
endangered and unique. There is enough activity to keep the teen
happy, plus the grandmother can hang out on board or just sit in the
sun on the island and watch all the wildlife go by. The cruise I took
was with Quasar Expeditions, and it was great - see
http://www.galapagosexpeditions.com/...n.php?activo=2. The
Galapagos is a real treasure, but might not be around by the time the
teen becomes the grandmother.
Old April 28th, 2008, 04:52 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Rosalie B.

wrote:

[...]

That's a good idea. She has said she wants Australia, or Peru, so
maybe Ecuador and Galapagos would be good.

Old April 28th, 2008, 05:21 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Cal Ford

You will probably have a maximum window of 8 nights but it is possible to work
out a schedule that would include a short Galapagos Cruise along with a visit to
Machu Pichu in Peru.

Cal Ford
Lido Deck Cruises

In article , Rosalie B. says...

Old April 28th, 2008, 08:08 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
John Sisker John Sisker is offline
Banned

Rosalie,

Just a thought, but have you considered a Disney cruise/land package? Seven
days will bring you a 3 or 4 day cruise to the Bahamas, including Disney
private island of Castaway Cay, plus a 4 or 3 day stay at the Walt Disney
World Resort itself. The cruise aboard the Disney Magic has all types of
kids and/or adult programs, so she is sure to meet some boys. And even
through not a real safari in the traditional sense, Disney's Animal Kingdom
at Walt Disney World does feature live animals from all over the world, plus
loads Disney entertainment. Likewise, as a package deal, the total cost is
still within reason.

Happy sailing...
John Sisker - SHIP-TO-SHORE CRUISE AGENCY (sm)
(714) 536-3850 or toll-free at (800) 724-6644 & (Agency ID: 714.536.3850)
www.shiptoshorecruise.com

Old April 28th, 2008, 08:37 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Rosalie B.

"John Sisker" wrote:

Rosalie,

Just a thought, but have you considered a Disney cruise/land package? Seven
days will bring you a 3 or 4 day cruise to the Bahamas, including Disney
private island of Castaway Cay, plus a 4 or 3 day stay at the Walt Disney
World Resort itself. The cruise aboard the Disney Magic has all types of
kids and/or adult programs, so she is sure to meet some boys. And even
through not a real safari in the traditional sense, Disney's Animal Kingdom
at Walt Disney World does feature live animals from all over the world, plus
loads Disney entertainment. Likewise, as a package deal, the total cost is
still within reason.

I have considered Disney and discarded that idea immediately as both
too expensive and too tame. I don't want a location that the child's
dad can drive her too. After all I took her brother to Ireland. I
don't think Disneyworld would compare.

I've done the Animal Kingdom thing and was not impressed, and I've
done the Bahamas from a real boat. The cruise that my other grandson
took was to the Bahamas and he hated it although it probably wasn't
Disney. If I were going to do a Disney cruise it would NOT be to the
Bahamas.

Old April 28th, 2008, 08:42 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Rosalie B.

Cal Ford wrote:

You will probably have a maximum window of 8 nights but it is possible to work
out a schedule that would include a short Galapagos Cruise along with a visit to
Machu Pichu in Peru.

Cal Ford
Lido Deck Cruises

I am not sure that I could physically handle the altitude in Peru (?).
Why do you say a window of 8 nights?

The Quasar site, when you get down to the price part is VERY
expensive. (Not as expensive as Regent or something like that, but
high.) I discarded Celebrity's weekly Galapagos cruise because there
are only 100 pax and it did not seem as though there would be many
young people. Perhaps I will rethink that.

Old April 28th, 2008, 09:34 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Joseph Coulter[_3_]

Rosalie B. wrote in
:

The Quasar site, when you get down to the price part is VERY
expensive. (Not as expensive as Regent or something like that, but
high.) I discarded Celebrity's weekly Galapagos cruise because there
are only 100 pax and it did not seem as though there would be many
young people. Perhaps I will rethink that.

Galapogos cruises are limited to smaller ships Celebrity is one of the
"big" ones!

--
Joseph Coulter, cruises and vacations
www.josephcoulter.com

877 832 2021
904 631 8863 cell

Old April 28th, 2008, 10:20 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Brian K[_2_]

On 4/27/2008 10:28 PM plucked Senior Frog's
Magic Twanger and said:
[...]

Actually, the Galapagos Islands are starting to feel the impact of the
rise in ecotourism. There's been talk of limiting the number of people
who can go ashore.

--
________
Brian M. Kochera