what is there to buy in china/beijing shangai

Old December 20th, 2004, 09:25 PM

Default what is there to buy in china/beijing shangai

please send me some ideas of what there is around--and some addresses
TIA

Old December 20th, 2004, 10:20 PM

What to buy depend on your taste and interests...

There is a used/fake antique market in Beijing and a fake/rejected name
brand everything market in Shanghai. Just ask when you are in the
city. Be careful bringing them through customs in the US. I've heard
horror stories where unwitting travellers being assessed thousands of
dollars bringing in DVD's in violation of copy rights. My interest is
in food. Unfortunately I had three diarheas in those three weeks in
China. Good thing is I did not gain any weight.

Old December 21st, 2004, 04:48 AM

I wouldn't buy electronics and computers from China. Is there a cost
or quality atvantage?

The fake/rejected name brand market in Shanghai is called "Xiang-Yang
market". Can't tell you where it is because I was in China for the
first time of my life myself this August trip even though I speak
fluent Chinese so I felt very much at home. It is near a metro stop is
all I can tell you. I didn't buy anything but wife and children were
having the time of their lives gobbling up bargains.

I can tell you a few examples of the reject name brand we saw. There
was this XXL NBA jersey worn by the most famous player from China, Yao.
Except the seamstress didn't understand English and had "Yad" sewn on
the jersey (Now how do you expect a Chinese seamstress to distinguish
capital O and capital D?). My teenager son was going to pick it up and
wear it in school to show his friends. But the jersey was too big so
he didn't get it.

Another was a NBA jersey of the Sacramento Kings. It was rejected
because the seamstress had the "n" sewn upside down, So the jersey
reads "Kiugs" Don't know how US customs official would have reacted to
these hilarious rejects.

Old December 21st, 2004, 06:02 PM
DC.

snip
My interest is
in food. Unfortunately I had three diarheas in those three weeks in
China. Good thing is I did not gain any weight.

Was it really that bad? did you eat in the street side food stalls? i'm
interested in Chinese food as well but i've not heard anyone suffer as bad
as you except those that went outside the cities & travelled in the country.
There i can understand if you caught a stomach bug & had diarrhoea. Just
curious... what did you think of Beijing & Shanghainese food compared to the
ones you get outside China like in the States &/or the UK, typically
Cantonese style foods.

DC.

Old December 21st, 2004, 07:45 PM
Miguel Cruz

DC. not@home wrote:
snip
My interest is
in food. Unfortunately I had three diarheas in those three weeks in
China. Good thing is I did not gain any weight.

Was it really that bad? did you eat in the street side food stalls? i'm
interested in Chinese food as well but i've not heard anyone suffer as bad
as you except those that went outside the cities & travelled in the country.
There i can understand if you caught a stomach bug & had diarrhoea.

I've eaten in the city and country, in medium-grade and downmarket
restaurants, as well as many many street stalls, and never got ill at all.

Just curious... what did you think of Beijing & Shanghainese food compared
to the ones you get outside China like in the States &/or the UK,
typically Cantonese style foods.

American Chinese food is like a completely different cuisine. If I didn't
know they wer eboth called "Chinese food" I would have assumed they were
from countries far apart. I like them both though. Give me the crappiest,
greasiest $3 Harlem wings'n'kung-pao over a $75 meal in Paris any day of the
week (not US Chinese food from the suburbs, though - that's even worse than
northern European food).

miguel
--
Hit The Road! Photos from 32 countries on 5 continents: http://travel.u.nu

Old December 21st, 2004, 08:06 PM
Markku Grönroos

"Miguel Cruz" kirjoitti viestissä

American Chinese food is like a completely different cuisine. If I didn't
know they wer eboth called "Chinese food" I would have assumed they were
from countries far apart. I like them both though. Give me the crappiest,
greasiest $3 Harlem wings'n'kung-pao over a $75 meal in Paris any day of

the
week (not US Chinese food from the suburbs, though - that's even worse

than
northern European food).

There should be nothing wrong with Northern European food. Incredients also
are typically less contaminated than many places elsewhere.

Old December 21st, 2004, 10:06 PM
Miguel Cruz

Markku Grönroos wrote:
"Miguel Cruz" kirjoitti:
American Chinese food is like a completely different cuisine. If I didn't
know they wer eboth called "Chinese food" I would have assumed they were
from countries far apart. I like them both though. Give me the crappiest,
greasiest $3 Harlem wings'n'kung-pao over a $75 meal in Paris any day of
the week (not US Chinese food from the suburbs, though - that's even
worse than northern European food).

There should be nothing wrong with Northern European food. Incredients also
are typically less contaminated than many places elsewhere.

Maybe I wasn't that clear. I think the chance of contracting food poisoning
from northern European food is pretty close to zero. My problem with it is
that it tastes horrible to me.

miguel
--
Hit The Road! Photos from 32 countries on 5 continents: http://travel.u.nu