Showing results 1 to 24 of 24
Search took 0.00 seconds.
Search: Posts made by: Pete
Forum: Europe October 27th, 2008, 03:28 PM Posted to rec.travel.europe
Replies: 22
Posted By Pete
first metroline in Warsaw opens today.

First plans for the Warsaw metro were introduced in 1925.
Only 83 years later the first north-south bound metroline
opens for public. The 20 kilometre line is composed of 23
stations.

That...
Forum: Europe October 27th, 2008, 03:23 PM Posted to rec.travel.europe
Replies: 4
Posted By Pete
Amber Room, St. Petersburg

At the beginning of the year, there were reports that the
immensely valuable stolen amber room decoration from
St Petersburg had been found. Has anyone seen any further reports?

The mayor of...
Forum: Europe October 25th, 2008, 01:13 AM Posted to misc.transport.rail.europe,rec.travel.europe
Replies: 4
Posted By Pete
German railways to idle bullet trains after axle cracks

Yet another week(end??) of disruption to be expected, I'm afraid.
Nearly all 70 of the T-model trains are being pulled out of service
because of the inability of the manufacturers to provide...
Forum: Europe October 8th, 2008, 02:43 AM Posted to rec.travel.europe
Replies: 10
Posted By Pete
Large Hannover trade fairs

Oops, I am only concerned with trade fairs during the tourist
season, from the beginning of May to the end of September.
CeBiT is in March, so no worries.

I think you should...
Forum: Europe October 6th, 2008, 08:29 PM Posted to rec.travel.europe
Replies: 10
Posted By Pete
Large Hannover trade fairs

What are the Hannover trade fairs that fill up many of the hotels,
in other words, what are the trade fairs to avoid as a tourist?

Hannover is something any tourist should avoid in...
Forum: Europe October 5th, 2008, 02:47 AM Posted to rec.travel.europe
Replies: 10
Posted By Pete
Large Hannover trade fairs

What are the Hannover trade fairs that fill up many of the hotels,
in other words, what are the trade fairs to avoid as a tourist?

Oops, I am only concerned with trade fairs during the...
Forum: Europe October 5th, 2008, 02:25 AM Posted to rec.travel.europe
Replies: 10
Posted By Pete
Large Hannover trade fairs

What are the Hannover trade fairs that fill up many of the hotels,
in other words, what are the trade fairs to avoid as a tourist?

Pete
Forum: Europe October 1st, 2008, 03:32 AM Posted to rec.travel.europe
Replies: 44
Posted By Pete
Munich airport and DB

Well, S-Bahn and U-Bahn will normally get you to a
Fernbahnhof without great difficulty. . .

That doesn't count as the OP specifically named Munich,
which has 2 S-bahns running a 10...
Forum: Europe September 30th, 2008, 10:01 PM Posted to rec.travel.europe
Replies: 44
Posted By Pete
Genuine Paris

Why?

Maybe he prefers bars with women. Maybe he prefers not to
be harassed by gays looking for sex. Wasn't that obvious?

Since Hatunen lives in SF, his next comment will be along the...
Forum: Europe September 30th, 2008, 08:31 PM Posted to rec.travel.europe
Replies: 44
Posted By Pete
Genuine Paris

I went back to the 14eme the next trip :-}

Why?

Maybe he prefers bars with women. Maybe he prefers not to
be harassed by gays looking for sex. Wasn't that obvious?

Pete
Forum: Europe September 30th, 2008, 08:25 PM Posted to rec.travel.europe
Replies: 44
Posted By Pete
Munich airport and DB

Hamburg and Tegel are only connected by bus. Schönefeld has a
regional station, but it's a far cry from having a station in the airport.

According to Hamburg airport's website, a direct rail...
Forum: Europe September 30th, 2008, 06:20 PM Posted to rec.travel.europe
Replies: 44
Posted By Pete
Munich airport and DB

Here i found a map that shows how far the airport is away from the
important lines. Rerouting the trains would just upset most of the
passengers because of longer travel times.

Forum: Europe September 30th, 2008, 03:13 PM Posted to rec.travel.europe
Replies: 44
Posted By Pete
Munich airport and DB

It seems that Munich's airport is only connected to Munich's S-Bahn
system, unlike many other German airports where there is an actual
railway station beneath the airport. This is a little strange...
Forum: Europe September 21st, 2008, 03:54 AM Posted to rec.travel.europe
Replies: 116
Posted By Pete
Unkempt Kempten

This August I continued my search for the perfect sausage in
Germany. How can you not love a country where you can
always find a bratwurst for 2 euros, the usual price?

Have you looked...
Forum: Europe September 21st, 2008, 02:26 AM Posted to rec.travel.europe
Replies: 116
Posted By Pete
Unkempt Kempten

This August I continued my search for the perfect sausage in
Germany. How can you not love a country where you can always
find a bratwurst for 2 euros, the usual price? I always try to speak
in...
Forum: Europe September 21st, 2008, 02:21 AM Posted to rec.travel.europe
Replies: 0
Posted By Pete
Unkempt Kemten

This August I continued my search for the perfect sausage in
Germany. How can you not love a country where you can always
find a bratwurst for 2 euros, the usual price? I always try to speak
in...
Forum: Europe September 20th, 2008, 06:28 AM Posted to rec.travel.europe
Replies: 5
Posted By Pete
Copenhagen Ibis hotels

I stayed in Copenhagen at an Ibis hotel just around the corner
from the railway station in 2005. Actually there were three of
them close together. Now I look at the Ibis website and see that
Ibis...
Forum: Europe September 18th, 2008, 02:33 AM Posted to rec.travel.europe
Replies: 9
Posted By Pete
Best UK seaside

I'm not talking about getting a tan. I want to hear suggestions
for the most beautiful coastal areas, sans drunks, knifings,
cruising (gay or straight), or other interruptions to having a
pleasant...
Forum: Europe August 11th, 2008, 01:00 AM Posted to rec.travel.europe
Replies: 3
Posted By Pete
Oberammergau bus and rail stations

In Oberammergau, are the rail and bus stations directly next to each
other? If not, what direction is the bus station from the rail station?
I am visiting Schloss Linderhof and I am taking the train...
Forum: Europe August 8th, 2008, 10:03 PM Posted to rec.travel.europe
Replies: 14
Posted By Pete
Tipping on German trains

Is it expected to tip the service person when he/she brings your
beer or light snack?

No, not really. In the restaurant of the train you can tip (5 - 10% or
or round up the bill, like pay...
Forum: Travel - anything else not covered August 8th, 2008, 09:55 PM Posted to rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.air,rec.travel.misc,rec.travel
Replies: 19
Posted By Pete
Best 21" Rolling Carry-On

So I went over to the llbean.com web site, usually a manufacturer
of quality luggage, only to find the same problem--22" was the
height of most of their rolling carry-on bags!

The reason much...
Forum: Europe August 8th, 2008, 09:55 PM Posted to rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.air,rec.travel.misc,rec.travel
Replies: 28
Posted By Pete
Best 21" Rolling Carry-On

So I went over to the llbean.com web site, usually a manufacturer
of quality luggage, only to find the same problem--22" was the
height of most of their rolling carry-on bags!

The reason much...
Forum: Air travel August 8th, 2008, 09:55 PM Posted to rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.air,rec.travel.misc,rec.travel
Replies: 30
Posted By Pete
Best 21" Rolling Carry-On

So I went over to the llbean.com web site, usually a manufacturer
of quality luggage, only to find the same problem--22" was the
height of most of their rolling carry-on bags!

The reason much...
Forum: Europe August 7th, 2008, 04:48 AM Posted to rec.travel.europe
Replies: 14
Posted By Pete
Tipping on German trains

Is it expected to tip the service person when he/she brings your
beer or light snack? If so, how much? I'm mainly interested
in ICE trains, if it matters.

Pete
Showing results 1 to 24 of 24